Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

3rd world countries are destroying their environment just to feed the water hungry Avocados. And millennials are to blame for the avocado demand.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/avo...he-environment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I grow my own. EASY to grow here in FL.
Same with papayas.

On a different note, what's the end-all to this? The world's population has exploded over the past century or two, and people are living increasingly longer. We want to encourage healthy, vegetarian alternatives to excess meat consumption, and avocados provide tons of nutrients that are otherwise harder to find without meat. If it's not avocados, it's going to be something else. Next big thing, GUAVA! Oh, but wait, they ALSO require tons of water.

It sucks, but as long as our population numbers keep increasing the way they do, not much can be done. Unless we somehow find a way to "create" more water.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
And millennials are to blame for the avocado demand.
God... damn... those MILLLEEEEENNNNIIIAAAALLLSSS!!!!

Oil drilling, fracking, leveling jungles for palm oil plantations and cattle grazing, overfishing, polluting the ocean, dumping PCBs into the world's river systems, all so that we can consume plastic junk from Walmart, eat junk food, drive inefficient vehicles, live our lives ensconsed in a billion chemical compounds.

But it is the millennial's avocado toast that is "causing world wide environmental problems".

Seriously. You should record yourself and play it back. You should have a laugh along with the rest of us.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:42 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Millennials? LOTS of non-millennials eat avocados.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:45 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
If the world has to end premature to keep me in Guacamole, So Be It!

Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Oil drilling, fracking, leveling jungles for palm oil plantations and cattle grazing, overfishing, polluting the ocean, dumping PCBs into the world's river systems, all so that we can consume plastic junk from Walmart, eat junk food, drive inefficient vehicles, live our lives ensconsed in a billion chemical compounds.

But it is the millennial's avocado toast that is "causing world wide environmental problems".

Seriously. You should record yourself and play it back. You should have a laugh along with the rest of us.
"The world is ending and it's all the fault of those young whippersnappers!" ...

... said every generation since the invention of writing.
Spoiler
"Because everything was going SO WONDERFULLY until they came along!"

Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Well, seeing that an avocado is a wonderful tasting fruit that can be used in just about any dietary plan out there (keto, vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, yada yada), it's no surprise there is such a huge demand for them.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:18 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Don’t like advocado and I never ate them so I don’t have a horse in this race

But it’s very surprising to see how much water and money it takes to grow one, it’s just insane. And the demand for it is insane, so the people who invested into farming or producing this stuff are just printing money

Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Perhaps AOC will place an "Avocado amendment" clause in the "Green Deal" to save us all?

I also eat a lot of Kiwis. Do they cause problems too? I ask because lately most I buy have product of Italy stickers on them. We can add them to the Green Deal too. Oh, and I am not a millennial ....

Old 04-19-2019, 11:20 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I eat one of those delicious fruits every day. I'm sorry to learn that I'm a major cause of environmental damage. And it might let me live longer and be more active-----more stress on the environment. And to think that I was under the delusion that I was benefiting Mother Nature with my living habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events