U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM

443 posts, read 155,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In my opinion the whole thing was a scam. They way overpaid for the house, with the idea they could tear it down and replace it with two homes. The city said no. So they came up with the lame "watcher" BS and again demanded that the city let them tear it down. The city again said, no. They then filed a lawsuit against the former owners, hoping to get their money back. A judge threw that case out. Now they have finally sold the house for half of what they paid, which is what it is actually worth.

As much as I love old houses, that is one ugly house, that I probably wouldn't take if it was given to me.
i think its a beautiful house, very much like a lot of old homes in this area. But ive never heard anything about tearing it down. That would be very sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 AM

12,773 posts, read 10,720,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
i think its a beautiful house, very much like a lot of old homes in this area. But ive never heard anything about tearing it down. That would be very sad
After some time they applied for a variance to knock it down and split the lot in half to build two new homes. Westfield said no and neighbors showed up, to I guess the meeting, in protest.

Knocking a house like that down would be a mistake. The area/street is mostly old homes on rather large lots, it would have been out of place, and would have destroyed what I also think is a beautiful old home for no good reason.

Driving down Boulevard, you see many beautiful old homes. It's a very nice area.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM

2,213 posts, read 660,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Yup. We'd add a couple of big dogs and some loaded pistols and shotguns. No cowardly letter writer would force us from our home. It sounds to me like some pimpley-faced teens had nothing better to do with their time. Imagine how powerful they feel now.
I agree, assuming it wasn't a scam I think they were being really silly moving because of a few letters. The only thing I would do is keep a gun handy and watch closely for anyone watching the house - but I wouldn't take it seriously beyond that.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:47 PM

767 posts, read 468,380 times
Heard this on my morning radio show this today. Odd story.

The one horizontal window to the left of the two vertical ones is enough to make me crazy! Lol.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:49 PM

11,008 posts, read 4,476,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post

The one horizontal window to the left of the two vertical ones is enough to make me crazy! Lol.
I saw that too, and thought how odd that looked.

And I am not observant at all about architecture. I just wondered - what are they "working around" that they did the two window shapes?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:41 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,098,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In my opinion the whole thing was a scam. They way overpaid for the house, with the idea they could tear it down and replace it with two homes. The city said no. So they came up with the lame "watcher" BS and again demanded that the city let them tear it down. The city again said, no. They then filed a lawsuit against the former owners, hoping to get their money back. A judge threw that case out. Now they have finally sold the house for half of what they paid, which is what it is actually worth.

As much as I love old houses, that is one ugly house, that I probably wouldn't take if it was given to me.
This and JerseyGirls post make much more sense of this story. Sounds like the odd history of the house is all recent and the common denominator is the selling family having buyers regret.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:48 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,303,873 times
Or the neighbors were trying to scare them out of the house! Just a thought. I would think tearing the house down would make the “Watcher” even more irate lol.

In any case they ended up screwing themselves.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 PM

5,600 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Hey, you could have owned it for just a half a million dollars, 50% off the original asking price. LOL. I just hope the new owners are careful not to hit their heads on the low hanging pipes.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I saw that too, and thought how odd that looked.

And I am not observant at all about architecture. I just wondered - what are they "working around" that they did the two window shapes?
That house is a testimony to over 100 years of remodeling jobs gone wrong. Like I said, my dream would be to live in an old historic home like that. But only if it retains the original architecture. Before I would buy a house that has been that extensively and badly remodeled, I would just buy a brand new McMansion. It's about the same thing anyway.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post

LOL, it looks like a mini version of the Winchester Mystery House to me. The only thing it's missing is a door to nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events