U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM

79,576 posts, read 72,081,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I
As much as I love old houses, that is one ugly house, that I probably wouldn't take if it was given to me.
It looks like a gorgeous house. It looks like it has a lot of find Craftsman-style detail on the inside, nice woodwork, high ceilings, perhaps some inlay in the floors, and look at that big sun porch off the side! I bet it's beautiful and very spacious on the inside.

Why would they want to tear it down? It's part of the area's architectural heritage of a certain period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 AM

7,288 posts, read 4,031,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I saw that too, and thought how odd that looked.

And I am not observant at all about architecture. I just wondered - what are they "working around" that they did the two window shapes?
They did that because the horizontal window is on the stair landing halfway between the first and second floors. The layout can be seen in the shots taken from inside the room with the bay window towards the staircase; the front door is out of sight between the stairs and the bay. The pair of vertical windows is either in a two story foyer or an upstairs foyer or room above the entrance.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:26 AM

7,318 posts, read 4,121,476 times
You can see some more pictures/info here
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...0090611_zpid/?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 AM

12,773 posts, read 10,720,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It looks like a gorgeous house. It looks like it has a lot of find Craftsman-style detail on the inside, nice woodwork, high ceilings, perhaps some inlay in the floors, and look at that big sun porch off the side! I bet it's beautiful and very spacious on the inside.

Why would they want to tear it down? It's part of the area's architectural heritage of a certain period.
It is but it has a very small kitchen. The pictures on zillow from the old listing (not there anymore) were way better than those on the current listing for the house; there were also way more photos on the old listing. But yes, it's a beautiful home on the inside, as well.

I think them wanting to tear it down is odd. Idk if that was their end game from the start or if they decided that as a result of the letters. But I'm glad it was denied because a subdivided/smaller lot with two new construction homes would be very out of place for that area. I think it's insane when people want to knock down perfectly normal/in good shape old homes. Though they often try to replicate old character in newer homes, homes truly aren't built like they used to be and I love to see old houses stick around. I live right near Westfield and my town is full of houses like that one and other old architecture, mostly Victorians. I absolutely love it, it's a great area.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:06 PM

4,558 posts, read 4,004,656 times
I like these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBoKesAQFHU

Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 PM

13,362 posts, read 9,055,579 times
I live about 7-8mins of driving to the house and I think the whole Watcher thing is a hoax to drum up interest of the house. Because I think the people who bought it overpaid for it and used this hoax to get attention. It's a relatively safe area so doubt anything would happen. This is an area where if anyone suspicious is outside the police will be called and they will show up in 5 mins.

There are homes nearby bigger, newly built sold for $750k. I wouldn't pay more than $500k for an outdated looking house.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 AM

24,005 posts, read 10,876,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I live about 7-8mins of driving to the house and I think the whole Watcher thing is a hoax to drum up interest of the house. Because I think the people who bought it overpaid for it and used this hoax to get attention. It's a relatively safe area so doubt anything would happen. This is an area where if anyone suspicious is outside the police will be called and they will show up in 5 mins.

There are homes nearby bigger, newly built sold for $750k. I wouldn't pay more than $500k for an outdated looking house.
I'm not sure that's logical. Why would someone want to buy a house where there's a problem, regardless of the cause?

Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM

5,600 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure that's logical. Why would someone want to buy a house where there's a problem, regardless of the cause?
If I liked that house, which I don't, and if I had the money to buy it, which I don't, "The Watcher" would not stop me from buying it. Because I don't believe there is a Watcher, and even if he does exist, I think I could deal with him. I would however use it to negotiate a lower price.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:38 PM

1,524 posts, read 747,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If I liked that house, which I don't, and if I had the money to buy it, which I don't, "The Watcher" would not stop me from buying it. Because I don't believe there is a Watcher, and even if he does exist, I think I could deal with him. I would however use it to negotiate a lower price.
The problem being, the people have young children. I f there was a threat to my children, yes it would stop me from living there. I would worry about them, when they were at school, or any time that they were not in my sight. It wouldn`t be worth it to me.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

5,600 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Those guys are irritating as hell. I tried to watch another video on that channel. The guy spent the entire video writing on a screechy chalkboard. Which pretty much sums up the entire channel in one word, irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events