U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 AM

2,570 posts, read 1,310,271 times

Advertisements

I've been following this for years. We know someone who lives on that street and brought the story up. There's no doubt in my mind at the Broaddua family peeved the neighbors. Mr Broaddus is described as brash and rude. The neighborhood is very gossipy and he did not fit in with many of the older members. They disliked that such a (relatively) young family was buying a landmark house and it was not one of their set. Notes referencing "new blood" belie the fact that if it were am old retired couple there might not be such attention. In fact our acquaintance said that one of the neighbors complained to her about the noise and nuisance of this young family with kids.

The Broadduses were also prevented from rezoning the lot to recoup their investments when others were allowed to do this. This is a neighborhood very dedicated to keeping change and certain people who represent change, out. It did not help that Broaddus was described as throwing his weight around.

As far as who did it? No idea. Seems like it would be pretty easy to figure out. Were it me, I would have thrown the notes in the trash and moved right in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:41 PM

5,600 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I've been following this for years. We know someone who lives on that street and brought the story up. There's no doubt in my mind at the Broaddua family peeved the neighbors. Mr Broaddus is described as brash and rude. The neighborhood is very gossipy and he did not fit in with many of the older members. They disliked that such a (relatively) young family was buying a landmark house and it was not one of their set. Notes referencing "new blood" belie the fact that if it were am old retired couple there might not be such attention. In fact our acquaintance said that one of the neighbors complained to her about the noise and nuisance of this young family with kids.

The Broadduses were also prevented from rezoning the lot to recoup their investments when others were allowed to do this. This is a neighborhood very dedicated to keeping change and certain people who represent change, out. It did not help that Broaddus was described as throwing his weight around.

As far as who did it? No idea. Seems like it would be pretty easy to figure out. Were it me, I would have thrown the notes in the trash and moved right in.
Are you saying that other houses in that neighborhood were allowed to be torn down and rezoned for smaller houses? I find that kind of hard to believe. I can't find any evidence of it in Google Streetview. There are a few smaller houses, but they look to be just as old if not older then this house.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,310,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Are you saying that other houses in that neighborhood were allowed to be torn down and rezoned for smaller houses? I find that kind of hard to believe. I can't find any evidence of it in Google Streetview. There are a few smaller houses, but they look to be just as old if not older then this house.
Another lot was permitted to be rezoned.You can read about it in the NewYork Magazine article about this whole fiasco.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/11/the-h...916.1548782315

Last edited by emotiioo; 08-17-2019 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 03:00 PM

5,600 posts, read 2,267,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Another lot was permitted to be rezoned.You can read about it in the NewYork Magazine article about this whole fiasco.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/11/the-h...916.1548782315
Okay, thanks. It doesn't say though exactly where the other subdivided lot was. There could be good reasons for the different rulings. Normally cities grant requests like that, unless there is opposition from neighbors. In this case the opposition was I think 100%. For whatever reason maybe there was no opposition in the other case. We would have to know the details of that case.

Old Today, 06:05 PM

151 posts, read 62,513 times
Did they ever end up finding out who wrote these letters? The police did find female DNA on them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events