Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 AM

8,719 posts, read 4,982,410 times

Advertisements

Just saw a story, on TV. Five years ago a family in Westfield NJ, purchased anew home for well over a millon dollars. Before moving in, they started to recieve annonymous letters, saying that they were being watched, and they better not move in. They were told their ever move was being watched, and their small children were being watched too. I can see you through your windows, and see every move you make. Authorities, could not find, who was behind this. Five years latter, they sold, and took a big loss on the home, as they were to afraid, for their family to move in. Maybe someone can post the link to this story. It gave me chills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 05:58 AM

1,210 posts, read 882,318 times
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...528166541.html

Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 AM

8,719 posts, read 4,982,410 times
Thanks for posting this! tried to give you a rep, but wasn`t allowed to.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,808,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Interesting story. I think I'd stay away from buying this place and avoid living there.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 AM

23,159 posts, read 26,107,156 times
And yet they were able to rent it and apparently nothing happened to the tenants?

Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,232,939 times
This is our area, its so creepy and its terrible that they lost money on the house. But nothing ever happened beyond the letters and they never have figured out who was doing it. I would probably have invested in a good security cameras and some curtains and lived there anyway.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:39 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,439,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This is our area, its so creepy and its terrible that they lost money on the house. But nothing ever happened beyond the letters and they never have figured out who was doing it. I would probably have invested in a good security cameras and some curtains and lived there anyway.

Yup. We'd add a couple of big dogs and some loaded pistols and shotguns. No cowardly letter writer would force us from our home. It sounds to me like some pimpley-faced teens had nothing better to do with their time. Imagine how powerful they feel now.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:00 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,797,712 times
This is exactly the kind of crime the internet could solve.

Post photos of those letters and envelopes, and offer a 50K reward.

Done.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:25 AM

15,283 posts, read 8,894,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Just saw a story, on TV. Five years ago a family in Westfield NJ, purchased anew home for well over a millon dollars. Before moving in, they started to recieve annonymous letters, saying that they were being watched, and they better not move in. They were told their ever move was being watched, and their small children were being watched too. I can see you through your windows, and see every move you make. Authorities, could not find, who was behind this. Five years latter, they sold, and took a big loss on the home, as they were to afraid, for their family to move in. Maybe someone can post the link to this story. It gave me chills.
In my opinion the whole thing was a scam. They way overpaid for the house, with the idea they could tear it down and replace it with two homes. The city said no. So they came up with the lame "watcher" BS and again demanded that the city let them tear it down. The city again said, no. They then filed a lawsuit against the former owners, hoping to get their money back. A judge threw that case out. Now they have finally sold the house for half of what they paid, which is what it is actually worth.

As much as I love old houses, that is one ugly house, that I probably wouldn't take if it was given to me.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,925,853 times
This whole thing started after the house sold to the Broaddus family, which is suspicious itself. The previous owners, the Woods family, received their only letter after the sale and before closing. The wife thought nothing of it and threw the letter away. I think it's either the Broaddus family or someone they know/who knows them. Possibly also an interested buyer who did not get the house when it sold to the Broadduses. I don't think it's a neighbor, and if it is it must be someone really bored and I doubt it's anything actually threatening. Has someone been watching this house for decades, as is claimed? Highly doubt it. Are the letters creepy? Yes, someone's doing a pretty good job trying to be unnerving, but I think most written in them is utter BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events