U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:54 AM

14,128 posts, read 16,213,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
4. Greed

Formula is priced at a point that's obviously out of the range of low income parents, so formula companies are extremely generous in giving it away or providing it at steep discount to agencies that distribute it to families in need.

So there isn't a lot of public pressure to lower the costs they charge in the grocery stores.

Their market, obviously, is people who have no choice but to pay for it, and they are in an income level where they aren't going to get any discounts.

Formula companies are very shady, IMHO, providing formula to new mothers who would likely have chosen to breast feed if formula wasn't given to them free, in the hospital.
It's around $11-12/pound. Not exactly cheap but not massively expensive either. Obviously there's a choice. Most of my extended family has breastfed/pumped primarily. It's always been pretty highly correlated with SES with lower SES groups using far more formula than higher ones. Higher SES parents take more time off work and work jobs that tolerate pumping more readily. I know my mom just walked around the lab pumping while she worked as it's not a work environment that you can just take a break on a schedule. That would never fly in retail. More typical office setting they'll just tolerate breaks. There's instances where it isn't convenient. My line of work that would be court. I've been in plenty of depositions where we just take a longer break every couple hours to allow an attorney to pump, non issue. In court though it would be. Retail though they'd again be less tolerant of taking a 15-20 minute break every couple hours.

Last edited by Malloric; Today at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:00 AM

22,928 posts, read 29,140,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
4.........Formula is priced at a point that's obviously out of the range of low income parents,.........

I had to look and see the price, since I haven't purchased formula for quite a long time. If you get the one with shipping included, it comes to about 75 cents per meal. Since low income parents have no problem coming up with the $2-$3 to feed the walking children a meal at the fast food place and have no problem coming up with $3 for a package of donuts for their kids or a bottle of soda, I think they can afford 75 cents for a meal for the baby, especially since low income mothers with new infants get government paid food program of some sort.

I suspect that it is cheaper to buy formula at a walk-in store where shipping a heavy individual package of formula isn't built into the price.

Formula has a very distinctive smell, very sweet and milky and it is a fine powder so enough molecules float up into the air when scooping the powder that you can smell formula every time you make up a bottle. It would be noticeable if the powder wasn't baby formula, never mind that flour is a different color, different smell, different weight, and it doesn't mix nearly as well. How could a person try to feed several bottles of flour to their baby and be so oblivious? I guess that baby was lucky that the thief hadn't used cement as a substitute.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

10,667 posts, read 4,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had to look and see the price, since I haven't purchased formula for quite a long time. If you get the one with shipping included, it comes to about 75 cents per meal. Since low income parents have no problem coming up with the $2-$3 to feed the walking children a meal at the fast food place and have no problem coming up with $3 for a package of donuts for their kids or a bottle of soda, I think they can afford 75 cents for a meal for the baby, especially since low income mothers with new infants get government paid food program of some sort.

I suspect that it is cheaper to buy formula at a walk-in store where shipping a heavy individual package of formula isn't built into the price.

Formula has a very distinctive smell, very sweet and milky and it is a fine powder so enough molecules float up into the air when scooping the powder that you can smell formula every time you make up a bottle. It would be noticeable if the powder wasn't baby formula, never mind that flour is a different color, different smell, different weight, and it doesn't mix nearly as well. How could a person try to feed several bottles of flour to their baby and be so oblivious? I guess that baby was lucky that the thief hadn't used cement as a substitute.
I'm not sure we need to argue that formula is considered very expensive; it's one of the things that charities often provide mothers even if they don't qualify for other aid right now. The fact that it's frequently stolen, and is sold on craigslist also is proof that it's considered expensive.

The rest of your post is rather judgmental. While some parents do a lot of fast food and donuts and soda, many others are much more careful about what they feed their children.

Old Today, 07:05 PM

16,576 posts, read 16,729,186 times
So much scammery with regards to Walmart and their liberal return-system......some of it is outright criminal.

Buy a bike and ride it for a month.........then return it for a refund because, well, because you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or