Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Formula is an enormously hot item on the off-market. (I don't use the term black market because obviously formula isn't illegal, but it's off the regular market).

Moms who have a WIC allotment often water down the formula they give their babies, and sell the rest on the off-market.

And yes, theft is a huge problem. Some to feed babies, some to sell after market.

The question I have, is why in the world does baby formula cost so much to start with?
Answer: economics. That's what the market is for baby formula. Mothers can breast feed for nothing as an alternative. If you don't want to do it the way it's been done for tens of thousands of years -- then you can buy formula -- but you're going to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:53 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
1) How does a mother not notice that her baby's formula has been tampered with?

2) I don't believe any store would put returned baby formula back on the shelf without at least inspecting the containers. I always thought returned food products were thrown away.

3) Flour and water do not mix. Anyone familiar with baby formula should know immediately that something was wrong... BEFORE feeding it to their baby.

I don't believe any of this.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Baby formula, is used to dulute herion. So it is used by drug dealers. It is the main reason it is locked up, due to theft.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:07 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Answer: economics. That's what the market is for baby formula. Mothers can breast feed for nothing as an alternative. If you don't want to do it the way it's been done for tens of thousands of years -- then you can buy formula -- but you're going to pay for it.
You are such an expert I didn't produce enough milk to keep my babies alive so I had no choice except to supplement with formula. And believe it or not there are babies being raised by foster parents, grandparents and fathers none of whom are able to breastfeed.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are such an expert I didn't produce enough milk to keep my babies alive so I had no choice except to supplement with formula. And believe it or not there are babies being raised by foster parents, grandparents and fathers none of whom are able to breastfeed.
Right? I was waiting for someone to bring up the Punishment Theory! Luckily it was a man.
This could almost happen as a rumor-warning for those trying “to get away with” not breast feeding.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
1) How does a mother not notice that her baby's formula has been tampered with?

2) I don't believe any store would put returned baby formula back on the shelf without at least inspecting the containers. I always thought returned food products were thrown away.

3) Flour and water do not mix. Anyone familiar with baby formula should know immediately that something was wrong... BEFORE feeding it to their baby.

I don't believe any of this.
It seems possible it was an overnight stock room employee who did this. That would account for the fact that returns and exchanges employee wouldn't put it back on the shelf. In the scenario of the stocker, the person who actually benefitted from the theft (the stocker) would have motivation to put it back on the shelf, opened.

And yes, it would have been clearly tampered with, already open, but would a distracted adult not realize she hadn't opened it already and used some? This is an item she uses every day, many times a day, so she's always scooping out dippers full of the powder from an open can - could she have missed that she hadn't already opened the can prior to just now?

ESPECIALLY if someone else in the home routinely also fed the baby. Then, I could have missed that I didn't open the can fresh - my husband had.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

When was the last time you breast-fed an infant?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Baby formula, is used to dulute herion. So it is used by drug dealers. It is the main reason it is locked up, due to theft.

Wow! I did not know this! THAT explains a lot!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
when was the last time you breast-fed an infant?

lol

Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems possible it was an overnight stock room employee who did this. That would account for the fact that returns and exchanges employee wouldn't put it back on the shelf. In the scenario of the stocker, the person who actually benefitted from the theft (the stocker) would have motivation to put it back on the shelf, opened.

And yes, it would have been clearly tampered with, already open, but would a distracted adult not realize she hadn't opened it already and used some? This is an item she uses every day, many times a day, so she's always scooping out dippers full of the powder from an open can - could she have missed that she hadn't already opened the can prior to just now?

ESPECIALLY if someone else in the home routinely also fed the baby. Then, I could have missed that I didn't open the can fresh - my husband had.
This is a good point. Plus the parent (usually the mom) is chronically sleep deprived, so might not be as sharp and on her toes as she normally would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events