Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:00 AM

42,844 posts, read 26,253,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Baby formula, is used to dulute herion. So it is used by drug dealers. It is the main reason it is locked up, due to theft.
I'm quite sure that's not the main reason because you can dilute heroin with over the counter powdered milk, talcum powder, rat poison and flour or sugar just as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm quite sure that's not the main reason because you can dilute heroin with over the counter powdered milk, talcum powder, rat poison and flour or sugar just as well
Exactly. The main everyday items used to cut the heroin or meth or coke (in white powdered form) are baking soda, aspirin, regular powdered milk... cheap things. Formula is locked up because it’s so expensive. Or there would be locked up baking soda and aspirin behind the pharmacy counter too, not just Sudafed.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are such an expert I didn't produce enough milk to keep my babies alive so I had no choice except to supplement with formula. And believe it or not there are babies being raised by foster parents, grandparents and fathers none of whom are able to breastfeed.
I understand that it's not one size fits all - but I was just answering Clara's question about why formula costs so much.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems possible it was an overnight stock room employee who did this. That would account for the fact that returns and exchanges employee wouldn't put it back on the shelf. In the scenario of the stocker, the person who actually benefitted from the theft (the stocker) would have motivation to put it back on the shelf, opened.

And yes, it would have been clearly tampered with, already open, but would a distracted adult not realize she hadn't opened it already and used some? This is an item she uses every day, many times a day, so she's always scooping out dippers full of the powder from an open can - could she have missed that she hadn't already opened the can prior to just now?

ESPECIALLY if someone else in the home routinely also fed the baby. Then, I could have missed that I didn't open the can fresh - my husband had.

It could also have been Mrs. Plum, in the kitchen, with the knife.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 AM

167 posts, read 190,471 times
The color and consistency of formula powder and flour are very different from each other. As others have said this story is full of holes from beginning to end.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:03 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Another possibility, hypothetically , is that the mother who returned the can of flour had herself removed the expensive milk and replaced it with cheap flour in order to take the cheap flour back to the store and trade it for another can of expensive milk.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Most hospitals no longer provide free formula at discharge.

This woman had a bad experience with a hospital with a draconian anti-formula policy.

https://www.nwhn.org/my-baby-friendl...can-do-better/
I agree with that article completely. Despite that I have BF & done the pumping thing for all eleven of mine; it's just not always that easy. Three of mine were 9 lbs or larger & babies that big want FED. Like NOW, not tomorrow when your milk comes in.

And the part about needing rest after a c-section. Only women would be expected to care for another human who required at least q2hr feedings after having major abdominal surgery. Draconian is a good word for that.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It could also have been Mrs. Plum, in the kitchen, with the knife.
I'm not sure why you think this is unbelievable, that a mother bought formula from Walmart that appeared to have been replaced with flour, and there were other similar complaints.

Why is that so completely unbelievable to you?

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Craigslist is full of formula for sale.
Yep. Thanks to WIC and food stamps.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,286,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems possible it was an overnight stock room employee who did this. That would account for the fact that returns and exchanges employee wouldn't put it back on the shelf. In the scenario of the stocker, the person who actually benefitted from the theft (the stocker) would have motivation to put it back on the shelf, opened.

And yes, it would have been clearly tampered with, already open, but would a distracted adult not realize she hadn't opened it already and used some? This is an item she uses every day, many times a day, so she's always scooping out dippers full of the powder from an open can - could she have missed that she hadn't already opened the can prior to just now?

ESPECIALLY if someone else in the home routinely also fed the baby. Then, I could have missed that I didn't open the can fresh - my husband had.
There are can openers that open a top of a can in a way that wouldn't necessarily be noticeable and allow a can to e reclosed. It cuts along the side of the seal around the top of the can. A little bit of glue will keep it in place when you reclose it. The original seal will not be broken. I have one of those can openers. Crafters were using the cans to wrap up gifts for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events