U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 PM

21,221 posts, read 16,933,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is not a girl that is a young woman that should know better than to destroy someone else's property.

I say she should be charged for the cost to repair the sculpture plus court costs etc...

Hit her in the pocket book and she might think twice before messing around again.
I donít know how much of a pocketbook she has. Usually with minors they do community service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 07:54 PM

1,248 posts, read 831,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You say that as if malicious acts of deliberate destruction are a normal part of growing up. I get that young people don't always think about the consequences of their actions and they sometimes do stupid things, but this wasn't just some careless prank with unintended results. I don't see her particular act of aggression as being significantly different than going after a car with a baseball bat. Would that merit anything more than community service?
(I assume the hotel paid the artist for the sand sculpture, so money was indeed lost)
I agree , this wasn't a careless prank gone wrong , this was a deliberate vandalism and I may be the only one who thinks she is over 18. She is by far old enough to know better and should do a lot of community service.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:38 PM

25,370 posts, read 24,275,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Alaska would be better; it's easier to fly her there. There are direct flights from Honolulu to Anchorage, as opposed to transferring in Los Angeles to fly her to Detroit or Grand Rapids. Winter temperatures are almost the same in both places, although on some days, Michigan is actually colder than Alaska.
That's good enough for me. The vandal should not be allowed to get away with that.

Even my ridiculous teen son didn't do anything like that. He did plenty of other stupid things, but he never destroyed private or public property.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:43 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,216,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Mail
Girl destroys sand sculpture in lobby of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel

What is happening with all these girls doing stupid unacceptable things in stores? Someone needs to spend a few months in jail or worse for these acts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/vira...tel/vi-AAFTVX5

Agree 100%. The trend toward stupid irresponsible behavior is IMO because of

A desire for fame. This is The Selfie Generation. Nothing is more important than Selfie Fame.
No consequences, or if there are any they are outweighed by the fame.

Six months in the hoosegow might change these brats of all ages attitudes. No consequence, no change.
It's like the people in Washington.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,498,738 times
Quote:
You say that as if malicious acts of deliberate destruction are a normal part of growing up. I get that young people don't always think about the consequences of their actions and they sometimes do stupid things, but this wasn't just some careless prank with unintended results. I don't see her particular act of aggression as being significantly different than going after a car with a baseball bat. Would that merit anything more than community service?
(I assume the hotel paid the artist for the sand sculpture, so money was indeed lost)
It's not normal. Then again, people have done much, much worse. Looking at her perspective I do see a different between doing what she did and smashing a car. When you smash a car you know very well it's cost a lot of money to fix. With this sand sculpture, probably not. The person who made the sculpture fixed it and unless he did it for free (which he very well could have), you are correct in that money was lost, though I don't think it was a lot of money. Community service is warranted and maybe a fine of around $1,000. Not sure what else you'd suggest. Prison time? I don't think so. She doesn't deserve to have her life ruined because of this. Now if she does something like this again, harsher punishment should be in order. The local news said police have arrested a 15 year old girl tied to the incident. I'm assuming she was the girl who smashed the sculpture, not the one videotaping, though it didn't state that explicitly.

I also think seeing it on video makes people more likely to advocate for harsher punishment rather than if we just heard about someone smashing a sand sculpture. If you feel harsher punishment is deserved then we just have a difference of opinion and I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:59 AM

10,706 posts, read 14,497,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
It's not normal. Then again, people have done much, much worse. Looking at her perspective I do see a different between doing what she did and smashing a car. When you smash a car you know very well it's cost a lot of money to fix. With this sand sculpture, probably not. The person who made the sculpture fixed it and unless he did it for free (which he very well could have), you are correct in that money was lost, though I don't think it was a lot of money. Community service is warranted and maybe a fine of around $1,000. Not sure what else you'd suggest. Prison time? I don't think so. She doesn't deserve to have her life ruined because of this. Now if she does something like this again, harsher punishment should be in order. The local news said police have arrested a 15 year old girl tied to the incident. I'm assuming she was the girl who smashed the sculpture, not the one videotaping, though it didn't state that explicitly.

I also think seeing it on video makes people more likely to advocate for harsher punishment rather than if we just heard about someone smashing a sand sculpture. If you feel harsher punishment is deserved then we just have a difference of opinion and I'll leave it at that.
The fact that it was behind a barrier would suggest that it was something of value, something put there by the hotel for the benefit or enjoyment of others. She was aware she was destroying something of some value.
I wouldn't advocate for jail, it would be a waste of resources to attempt to try her as an adult. A short stay in a juvenile detention center might not be amiss, although I think a few days as an inpatient at a mental health facility would be more appropriate, a mental health evaluation followed by mandatory therapy.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 AM

9,284 posts, read 11,000,568 times
Quote:
The fact that it was behind a barrier would suggest that it was something of value, something put there by the hotel for the benefit or enjoyment of others. She was aware she was destroying something of some value.
I wouldn't advocate for jail, it would be a waste of resources to attempt to try her as an adult. A short stay in a juvenile detention center might not be amiss, although I think a few days as an inpatient at a mental health facility would be more appropriate, a mental health evaluation followed by mandatory therapy.
She looked drunk to me. And yes, that the sculpture was behind a barrier should be a good indication to anyone that one is not to touch, much less tear the thing up. Not advocating for jail, nor any sort of mental health evaluation. Just pay the hotel for the damage and learn a lesson to keep her hands to herself and not act like a damned fool. Is she a minor? If so then her parents owe the hotel and she needs to pay them back. Just read through the thread again. That child is 15? I would have guessed 19-20. Parents owe the hotel, child owes parents.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,244,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Mail
Girl destroys sand sculpture in lobby of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel

What is happening with all these girls doing stupid unacceptable things in stores? Someone needs to spend a few months in jail or worse for these acts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/vira...tel/vi-AAFTVX5

She should be held responsible but donít think teenagers (and adults) havenít been doing stupid things since the beginning of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events