U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

8,576 posts, read 12,550,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, these acts happened just as much before social media. They’re just more publicize now. I think your conflating things like typical act of vandalism such as the sand sculpture with social media stunt such as licking ice cream.

Acts of vandalism probably happen less now because there’s cameras everywhere, then they did 20 years ago.
I disagree.

It's happening more now as people want their 15 min of fame and it's all about me, me and me.

Plus there's no respect anymore for others people's property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

17,283 posts, read 17,596,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Looks like a case of Criminal Damage, so she should be arrested imho.
I agree. This wasn't someone accidently falling into the sculpture or being too reckless around it. She threw things at the sculpture and climbed over the barricade twice to damage it as much as possible. And then, she laughed about her actions and the damage (at least that is how it appeared to me).

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

21,099 posts, read 16,885,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I disagree.

It's happening more now as people want their 15 min of fame and it's all about me, me and me.

Plus there's no respect anymore for others people's property.

I disagree back. You just hear more about it now. Teens didn't have respect for other people's property in the 70's either. I knew a lot of delinquent kids (lived in an apartment complex in lower middle class area) who would have done the same thing, and in some cases did much worse.

Here's a table comparing juvenile arrests in Delaware 2008 to 2017. Property damage crime arrests for juveniles was 329 in 2008, and had declined to 155 by 2017. Most people don't want that kind of fame. Even juvenile delinquents, who again, have been around as long as juveniles have been around.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/dat...6177,6165/9008

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 10:24 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

8,576 posts, read 12,550,243 times
Quote:
I disagree back. You just hear more about it now. Teens didn't have respect for other people's property in the 70's either. I knew a lot of delinquent kids (lived in an apartment complex in lower middle class area) who would have done the same thing, and in some cases did much worse.

Here's a table comparing juvenile arrests in Delaware 2008 to 2017. Property damage crime arrests for juveniles was 329 in 2008, and had declined to 155 by 2017. Most people don't want that kind of fame. Even juvenile delinquents, who again, have been around as long as juveniles have been around.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/dat...6177,6165/9008
Show me the comparisons from the 70's and then come back.

Teens weren't perfect in the 70's, but they weren't "hey....look at me, I'm on facebook/youtube.

Plus back on the 70's, when there was an incident, sometimes teens got involved to help out. Today, everyone pulls out their cell phone to record and upload.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

6,453 posts, read 5,170,271 times
Teenagers? I thought it was a couple of middle aged women that had had too much to drink!

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

5,651 posts, read 4,195,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Im glad I wasnt there when she did this!! Stupid fat biotch.
Ha ha I was going to describe her the same but figured Id get slammed for it.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

5,651 posts, read 4,195,517 times
Oh, and their punishment should be to recreate the sand sculpture but first have to fill an equal amount of sand one teaspoon at a time in the area and have to carry the sand from outside.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

7,506 posts, read 3,121,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Oh, and their punishment should be to recreate the sand sculpture but first have to fill an equal amount of sand one teaspoon at a time in the area and have to carry the sand from outside.
Forget the teaspoon...physically too easy. Both of them need to sweat. Forget "creating" anything...that might be too much fun. Make them haul all the sand from that ruined sculpture in sacks on their backs out of the hotel and back to the beach on foot, dump it, dig it all back up again, fill the sacks, and haul it back to the hotel on foot again. As soon as they finish it once, make them do it again a few times over. Do it during the busiest time of year when there will be lots of guests. The hotel should announce the event with onsite and website posters giving an explanation along with their photos, and encourage onlookers to share the entire event on THEIR phones. They might brazen it out the first time, but public humiliation will set in eventually. So much for "social" media fame.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 01:00 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

21,099 posts, read 16,885,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Show me the comparisons from the 70's and then come back.

Teens weren't perfect in the 70's, but they weren't "hey....look at me, I'm on facebook/youtube.

Plus back on the 70's, when there was an incident, sometimes teens got involved to help out. Today, everyone pulls out their cell phone to record and upload.

It took me 20 minutes just to find that. Here's a chart showing juvenile arrest trends for all crimes that you can see have steadily decreased since 1980, with a short upward trend in the mid-90's. https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime...asp?ID=qa05201 I don't have time to look for more right now.

I grew up in the 70's, kids were most definitely just as if not more delinquent than now. Of course they weren't "Look at me I'm on Youtube", it didn't exist. They destroyed things just for the heck of it. Or because they were drunk or high, or just plain a**holes. But to pretend every other generation of kids had their crap together and today's delinquents are just some anomaly in history is just not accurate.

If they had forums in the 50's, 60's, 70's, people would be on there exclaiming how much worse "kids today" are than they were.

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,491,901 times
Quote:
It took me 20 minutes just to find that. Here's a chart showing juvenile arrest trends for all crimes that you can see have steadily decreased since 1980, with a short upward trend in the mid-90's. https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime...asp?ID=qa05201 I don't have time to look for more right now.

I grew up in the 70's, kids were most definitely just as if not more delinquent than now. Of course they weren't "Look at me I'm on Youtube", it didn't exist. They destroyed things just for the heck of it. Or because they were drunk or high, or just plain a**holes. But to pretend every other generation of kids had their crap together and today's delinquents are just some anomaly in history is just not accurate.

If they had forums in the 50's, 60's, 70's, people would be on there exclaiming how much worse "kids today" are than they were.
Thanks for taking the time to look up that information. Most posters are way too lazy and instead rely on social media or the first 10 minutes of the evening news to form all their opinions about society today. Like I always say, the media and their reach has changed tremendously over the past few decades. 40 years ago kids still did this but it wouldn't have been a story anywhere, probably not even the local news.

The graph about juvenile arrests look similar to the homicide rates going back to the 1970s. If people, kids and adults, were that much more respectful back in the 70s as many say, they sure had a funny way of showing it. Homicide rates were much higher back in the 1970s-mid 1990s than today. We're much safer today than 40 years ago. On a personal note in the 70s my family lived right next to a school. The kids there actually tried to set the fence on fire and caused all kinds of other trouble. Growing up in the 80s and 90s I saw all kinds of disrespectful behavior from my peers. You're right in that it's nothing new. I actually think the presence of social media and cameras everywhere do a lot of good. It's easier to catch these losers in the act whereas before they probably wouldn't have been caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events