U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 01:15 AM

4,028 posts, read 1,723,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd like to see this happen. Outdoor community service during the winter is not fun.
It's Hawaii. Winter is better than summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 AM

9,284 posts, read 11,000,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think community service is a more appropriate method of payment. Let her go pick up trash on the beach in front of the hotel all weekend for the next 6 months.. Then she gets to play in the sand like she wanted.

The vast majority of that artists work gets washed away on a daily basis, hard to put any price on that. Aside from that, itís the hotels loss, not his. I think making her pay for a secure fence is overkill, especially for art made of sand.

In Ocean City, Maryland there used to be a guy that would make unbelievably intricate sand sculptures depicting bible scenes every day. He would spend the entire day building them, whole villages with little camels, etc. then high tide would come and wash it away and heíd be back out there next day. Itís almost a Zen piece of art, in that it represents one perfect moment that wonít last. Pretty amazing to me. I wish I could be that much in the moment.
I don't know about that particular artist's sand sculpture at that particular hotel, but I believe some who work with sand, when they are making a "permanent" sculpture for a hotel or other public place use some sort of adhesive/glue/something or other that holds the sand together, otherwise it would fall apart as it dries. Obviously the sculpture is still delicate and can be smashed easily. There's a reason why there is a barrier. I agree she owes the hotel. I disagree that making her pay for the barrier is overkill. She was being destructive, knew it and thought it was funny.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 AM

21,224 posts, read 16,933,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I don't know about that particular artist's sand sculpture at that particular hotel, but I believe some who work with sand, when they are making a "permanent" sculpture for a hotel or other public place use some sort of adhesive/glue/something or other that holds the sand together, otherwise it would fall apart as it dries. Obviously the sculpture is still delicate and can be smashed easily. There's a reason why there is a barrier. I agree she owes the hotel. I disagree that making her pay for the barrier is overkill. She was being destructive, knew it and thought it was funny.
Chunks fell off as soon as she touched it, itís probably not permanent maybe he does one for every season. In any case when I finally watched the tape, she only took off a small chunk or two, he was probably able to fix it in 15 minutes.

A fine in the tens of thousands to build a secure fence is way out of proportion to knocking a couple chunks o sand from a sand sculpture. I still think community service.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:28 AM

12,317 posts, read 10,570,822 times
What a miserable human being.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 1,228 times
Those girls should be forced to cover the cost of the artists flight and repairs. Just stupid.

Glad I was taught to, in the words of my dearly departed mother, "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OF OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY!"

Old 08-19-2019, 03:36 PM

9,809 posts, read 19,028,147 times
Well, so far nobody has contemplated the amount of money someone can make if their Utube video goes viral.

The two females are minors and from what I've heard they live on Oahu (the island the hotel is on) so they aren't even visitors. Not that being a visitor is an excuse, but a lot of folks misbehave while on vacation.

FWIW, there's frequently a bit of tension between the major tourist areas and local folks in Hawaii. Many times locals aren't all that welcome in touristy areas - unless they are there doing a service level job. They aren't actively thrown out, just sort of a subtle pressure to move along.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:41 PM

21,224 posts, read 16,933,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, so far nobody has contemplated the amount of money someone can make if their Utube video goes viral.

The two females are minors and from what I've heard they live on Oahu (the island the hotel is on) so they aren't even visitors. Not that being a visitor is an excuse, but a lot of folks misbehave while on vacation.

FWIW, there's frequently a bit of tension between the major tourist areas and local folks in Hawaii. Many times locals aren't all that welcome in touristy areas - unless they are there doing a service level job. They aren't actively thrown out, just sort of a subtle pressure to move along.
You can only make money from a viral video if businesses pay to advertise on it/the YouTube channel. No business is going to want to be associated with an act like this or really any illegal act. Aside from that the video is available to watch on many sources now, so there really isn’t much possibility at all IMO that she could make anything at all.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:30 PM

15,107 posts, read 21,933,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Chunks fell off as soon as she touched it, itís probably not permanent maybe he does one for every season. In any case when I finally watched the tape, she only took off a small chunk or two, he was probably able to fix it in 15 minutes.

A fine in the tens of thousands to build a secure fence is way out of proportion to knocking a couple chunks o sand from a sand sculpture. I still think community service.
Couldnít disagree more. That was absolutely maliciously done. Community service? Not enough.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:22 PM

25,370 posts, read 24,275,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Oh, I missed that part. It would great if she could do community service in Michigan.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,498,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Haha, so true. Have her do her community service in the dead of summer here picking up trash from the beach without getting to go in the water. 90 degrees and humid with the sun blazing down is no fun when you're working outdoors. Might be worse than doing it in the snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Couldnít disagree more. That was absolutely maliciously done. Community service? Not enough.
C'mon, let's not get carried away. No one was hurt, she never put anyone in danger, no money lost, and it can be rebuilt. What do you propose? Jail? A $10,000 fine? To me 500 hours of community service or something similar seems about right. Weren't you ever a teenager? Not condoning it but really, a little perspective here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events