Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 01:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Chunks fell off as soon as she touched it, it’s probably not permanent maybe he does one for every season. In any case when I finally watched the tape, she only took off a small chunk or two, he was probably able to fix it in 15 minutes.

A fine in the tens of thousands to build a secure fence is way out of proportion to knocking a couple chunks o sand from a sand sculpture. I still think community service.
Sculpting from sand doesn't work that way (that he could probably fix it in 15 minutes). The artist starts with a hill of sand at the perfect wet/dry consistency and carves the sculpture with tools. The artist can't just add back to what this woman destroyed, that won't work. I only know this because I took a day class from a professional sand artist. Please don't laugh at me, it was fun, and I'm NOT good at it! It's more complicated than most people would think. Once those few chunks come out it's completely ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 01:40 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Haha, so true. Have her do her community service in the dead of summer here picking up trash from the beach without getting to go in the water. 90 degrees and humid with the sun blazing down is no fun when you're working outdoors. Might be worse than doing it in the snow.

C'mon, let's not get carried away. No one was hurt, she never put anyone in danger, no money lost, and it can be rebuilt. What do you propose? Jail? A $10,000 fine? To me 500 hours of community service or something similar seems about right. Weren't you ever a teenager? Not condoning it but really, a little perspective here.
You say that as if malicious acts of deliberate destruction are a normal part of growing up. I get that young people don't always think about the consequences of their actions and they sometimes do stupid things, but this wasn't just some careless prank with unintended results. I don't see her particular act of aggression as being significantly different than going after a car with a baseball bat. Would that merit anything more than community service?
(I assume the hotel paid the artist for the sand sculpture, so money was indeed lost)

Old 08-20-2019, 02:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You say that as if malicious acts of deliberate destruction are a normal part of growing up. I get that young people don't always think about the consequences of their actions and they sometimes do stupid things, but this wasn't just some careless prank with unintended results. I don't see her particular act of aggression as being significantly different than going after a car with a baseball bat. Would that merit anything more than community service?
(I assume the hotel paid the artist for the sand sculpture, so money was indeed lost)
Exactly. Her actions were very deliberate. It's not like she bumped into the thing. She starts out by throwing things at the sculpture and ended up climbing over an actual barrier (it's there for a reason) and tearing at the work with her own hands. She at least owes the hotel for whatever they paid the artist and any damage she might have done to the barrier. And I hope she and her pal are embarrassed, though I doubt it.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, I missed that part. It would great if she could do community service in Michigan.
Alaska would be better; it's easier to fly her there. There are direct flights from Honolulu to Anchorage, as opposed to transferring in Los Angeles to fly her to Detroit or Grand Rapids. Winter temperatures are almost the same in both places, although on some days, Michigan is actually colder than Alaska.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-20-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm surprised this beached whale was able to climb over that railing ! (there, I said it ! )
She probably thought the sand was food..

Old 08-20-2019, 10:49 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Haha, so true. Have her do her community service in the dead of summer here picking up trash from the beach without getting to go in the water. 90 degrees and humid with the sun blazing down is no fun when you're working outdoors. Might be worse than doing it in the snow.

C'mon, let's not get carried away. No one was hurt, she never put anyone in danger, no money lost, and it can be rebuilt. What do you propose? Jail? A $10,000 fine? To me 500 hours of community service or something similar seems about right. Weren't you ever a teenager? Not condoning it but really, a little perspective here.
I was a teenager once too but never destroyed anyone else’s property. Wasn’t brought up to be allowed to do that without consequences. I believe consequences must be in force. 500 hours of community service plus financial reimbursement is fair.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
she saw it and thought it was a cake

Old 08-20-2019, 02:32 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Just from how they were standing\walking and mannerisms I think they were both drunk\high on drugs.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:42 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can only make money from a viral video if businesses pay to advertise on it/the YouTube channel. No business is going to want to be associated with an act like this or really any illegal act. Aside from that the video is available to watch on many sources now, so there really isn’t much possibility at all IMO that she could make anything at all.

That's good, then. Kids being stupid and not getting money is a good thing. Seems there's too many people doing stupid things in front of cameras these days, not sure if that was part of this or not.

I don't know the kids or the families so I've not heard any gossip on the coconut wireless.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM

24,471 posts, read 17,211,031 times
That is not a girl that is a young woman that should know better than to destroy someone else's property.

I say she should be charged for the cost to repair the sculpture plus court costs etc...

Hit her in the pocket book and she might think twice before messing around again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events