U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM

8,289 posts, read 5,440,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
LOL. Maybe it's a good idea not to have kids with someone whose culture/tradition is completely different than yours and you will always be looked as an outsider. Just saying..

Saudi Arabia, The Kingdom, etc will look out for their people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM

10,550 posts, read 8,553,050 times
Different Middle Eastern country - but the current plight of Princess Haya and her beleaguered stepdaughters comes to mind.

Glad Haya got away with her kids, and hope the British courts allow them to remain with her. Their father should have tightly supervised visitation, in the UK only. He's already shown how he treats a mildly rebellious adult child - what would he be capable of doing to minor ones?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:01 AM

1,363 posts, read 551,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...new-Islam.html

Can you really feel sorry for any woman too damn stupid to move to Saudi Arabia and NOT expect to be completely screwed over like this?
KSA and Islam is still in the stone age.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM

2,253 posts, read 1,731,687 times
Wow, Mom is HOT!!!!!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM

9,448 posts, read 8,482,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Does her child have any US citizenship rights?

Not in another country. No you no rights as a US citizen in another country that is not a US country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are 35,000 Americans living and working in Saudi Arabia, I don't think they meet with everyone first. I don't think they're all dumb, either. I would never go either, but then again I wouldn't move to any other country (except possibly Canada or Australia) but not gonna judge those who do.
Most of those people live in compounds and do not leave the compound. I have plenty of oil engineer friends who make tons of money doing this and they never leave the compound. Ever.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM

21,306 posts, read 16,985,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not in another country. No you no rights as a US citizen in another country that is not a US country.

Most of those people live in compounds and do not leave the compound. I have plenty of oil engineer friends who make tons of money doing this and they never leave the compound. Ever.
You have to use the context that I made the post in response to. I made the post in response to someone who thought the Saudi government might meet with every American who wants to come there beforehand. My point was there are a lot of Americans there and they arenít going to have meetings with thirty thousand people to make sure theyíll fit in first.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM

5,550 posts, read 2,842,583 times
Quote:
That was the most exciting and suspenseful movie! Itís not just Middle Eastern countries at this happens in either. There was a man who lost custody of his son because his wife went back to her country and remarried. The courts even took away his visitation. Even after the childís mother died in childbirth, the courts gave the stepfamily custody of the child that biologically wasnít even related to him. . I canít remember what country it was, possibly Brazil, but it was a western country. He finally got the child back at the age of 11 or 12 or so, I was all over the news and tv shows at the time.

That man didnít even go live in that country. She took the child there to supposedly to visit her parents and then never came back. That happens quite frequently, one of the parents take the child to their home country and then the parent at home cannot get them back.
The movie is a dramatization. The book is much better and details a lot more abuse than was shown in the movie. In the book, the woman knows that if she is found with an IUD, she can be legally killed, so she removes it herself. Her husband had her passport and a woman couldn't get a flight out without his permission. She was trapped. And what was so bad about the whole situation was that the husband had been in America for a number of years and was an American doctor (he was fired shortly before they left for the Iran visit). He made a complete flip to an extreme Islam fanatic once they were back in Iran.

I may be xenophobic myself, but I have a list of countries I will never visit and Middle-eastern countries are high on the list. I see what they do to their own women and I'm under no illusion that being an American there will protect me in any way.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:52 PM

5,550 posts, read 2,842,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
KSA and Islam is still in the stone age.
Yes, well, but putting it into perspective, the Middle-eastern countries may be 500 years behind us culturally, but as a country, the US is also a couple hundred years behind western Europe. To western Europeans, we live like savages here, still shooting people, still fighting about religion and being uptight about sex and nudity, and still not having socialized medical care, family leave, or vacation time from work.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 PM

21,306 posts, read 16,985,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The movie is a dramatization. The book is much better and details a lot more abuse than was shown in the movie. In the book, the woman knows that if she is found with an IUD, she can be legally killed, so she removes it herself. Her husband had her passport and a woman couldn't get a flight out without his permission. She was trapped. And what was so bad about the whole situation was that the husband had been in America for a number of years and was an American doctor (he was fired shortly before they left for the Iran visit). He made a complete flip to an extreme Islam fanatic once they were back in Iran.

I may be xenophobic myself, but I have a list of countries I will never visit and Middle-eastern countries are high on the list. I see what they do to their own women and I'm under no illusion that being an American there will protect me in any way.
Well. Iím Jewish, so Iím sure as heck not going either, lol.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM

9,448 posts, read 8,482,139 times
Quote:
You have to use the context that I made the post in response to. I made the post in response to someone who thought the Saudi government might meet with every American who wants to come there beforehand. My point was there are a lot of Americans there and they arenít going to have meetings with thirty thousand people to make sure theyíll fit in first.
Certainly and I agree. My point was that those US workers in Saudi Arabia don't leave the compounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or