U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 PM
 
1,247 posts, read 831,071 times
Reputation: 4481

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that is an emergency, and it's definitely not the type of emergency situation parents are envisioning when they are concerned about their child's safety at school.
I doubt that the majority of their texts from parents are a "emergency " and if they do the parents can call the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,667 posts, read 1,804,028 times
Reputation: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think anyone thinks that is an emergency, and it's definitely not the type of emergency situation parents are envisioning when they are concerned about their child's safety at school.
Give me an example of an "emergency situation" message a child might send from school, that the child's safety is at risk and the parent, with immediate action, can ameliorate that danger, and cannot be contacted any other way except by the child's cell phone.

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,467 posts, read 2,202,247 times
Reputation: 7162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Give me an example of an "emergency situation" message a child might send from school, that the child's safety is at risk and the parent, with immediate action, can ameliorate that danger, and cannot be contacted any other way except by the child's cell phone.
"There has been a shooting. The teacher is dead. What should I do?"

Not an unrealistic possibility, considering the current climate of violence in this country. I can think of quite a few cases of where children were able to communicate with their parents during emergency situations at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
 
3,925 posts, read 2,037,830 times
Reputation: 18773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
"There has been a shooting. The teacher is dead. What should I do?"

Not an unrealistic possibility, considering the current climate of violence in this country. I can think of quite a few cases of where children were able to communicate with their parents during emergency situations at school.
Escape the building, hide or pull the fire alarm instead. Teachers will phone for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
 
10,078 posts, read 5,188,580 times
Reputation: 34832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Escape the building, hide or pull the fire alarm instead. Teachers will phone for help.
You're thinking like a rational adult. Not a panicking KID. They are, after all, still kids. And when they're terrified, they want their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
 
3,925 posts, read 2,037,830 times
Reputation: 18773
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're thinking like a rational adult. Not a panicking KID. They are, after all, still kids. And when they're terrified, they want their parents.
Teaching them to quickly get out of harm's way is much better than suggesting they need to call their mommies first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
 
10,078 posts, read 5,188,580 times
Reputation: 34832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Teaching them to quickly get out of harm's way is much better than suggesting they need to call their mommies first.
You can teach them all you want. When the situation happens, they're probably still going to panic. They're kids. It's natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
 
862 posts, read 313,807 times
Reputation: 1136
Guess those students will have to carry those "Help-I've-Fallen-And-Cant-Get-Up" alerts that senior citizens use. Probably be faster than their phones, too because they'd have get through all the Apps they're running on the phone to get to 911. May as well put a GPS unit to track them, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
 
3,925 posts, read 2,037,830 times
Reputation: 18773
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You can teach them all you want. When the situation happens, they're probably still going to panic. They're kids. It's natural.
No. Running is natural, dialing isn't.

hertfordshire, are you a school kid? I mean no offense, I'm just curious if that's the reason why you argue for phone retention.

Last edited by Javacoffee; Yesterday at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,467 posts, read 2,202,247 times
Reputation: 7162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Escape the building, hide or pull the fire alarm instead. Teachers will phone for help.

I guess you missed this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
"There has been a shooting. The teacher is dead. What should I do?"
If I had kids, I would want to be able to get in touch with them in an emergency situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top