U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:35 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,040,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Then they can turn off their ringtone. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Brilliant! And maybe... just maybe... the scared little snot hiding in the closet with your daughter won't blubber too loudly on the phone to his mommy while the armed killer is skulking around looking for more victims to shoot.

It's almost as if you don't care if kids get slaughtered so long as you "prove" yourself right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:38 AM

5,467 posts, read 2,207,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
How many potential school shootings have actually been thwarted by students using their phones, which wouldn't have been prevented in any other way?

Other than impending massacres, do you have any other examples of students making emergency calls, which are too numerous to mention?
Obviously no school shootings have been thwarted. That is not the point. Student's cell phones have been use to gather intelligence during most school shootings all the way back to Columbine, which has likely saved lives.

I'm pretty sure that student cell phones must have at some time, also been used to communicate during fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. Since those are all common occurrences in the world and students would have likely had cell phones during such events.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM

21,232 posts, read 16,948,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Brilliant! And maybe... just maybe... the scared little snot hiding in the closet with your daughter won't blubber too loudly on the phone to his mommy while the armed killer is skulking around looking for more victims to shoot.

It's almost as if you don't care if kids get slaughtered so long as you "prove" yourself right.
Thatís on every thread with this poster.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 AM

5,467 posts, read 2,207,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

You want to take student's cell phones away, which I have already provided evidence have been used to successfully gather intelligence during school terrorist attacks, and you accuse me of not caring about kids getting slaughtered?

Whatever. End of conversation.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 PM

15,634 posts, read 17,936,063 times
Quote:
"There has been a shooting. The teacher is dead. What should I do?"

Not an unrealistic possibility,

You want to play the odds? Play the lottery, win, and hire a university professor to homeschool your kid. Slightly better odds than letting your kid play on a phone all day in class with the idea that somehow a phone call to mom will protect them in the 1 in 614,000,000 chance of becoming a school shooting victim.

Deadly tornados, hurricanes, and wildfires not unrealistic possibilities either. Should we build schools in special underground bunkers?

Children are far more likely to be shot outside of school than in it, so maybe we should make kids live full time in these underground bunker schools. Saftey, after all, is #1.

Quote:
If I had kids, I would want to be able to get in touch with them in an emergency situation.
What, so you can say, "Good luck" or "Good-bye"? What is having a parent on the phone going to do?

If the teacher is dead then the killer is in the room and the kids are better off playing dead then having a phone conversation.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 PM

5,634 posts, read 1,413,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
wow.
we know a diabetic child who uses her phone to track her levels.
How did she track her levels before phones?

Old 08-23-2019, 01:22 PM

1,563 posts, read 922,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I also think that as soon as class is over they'll be rushing to their cars to leave and will be using their phones while driving. The school will be held liable because it imposed harsh rules that caused impulsive teens to text and drive because they didnít have access to them for over six hours.
That's kind of like saying employers will be held liable for afternoon drunk driving crashes because they won't let employees drink on the job.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 PM

21,232 posts, read 16,948,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Probably not as well. I think itís pretty stupid to argue someone with a disease as serious as Juvenile Diabetes shouldnít monitor it as well as possible. I think they should ban the phones in class but medical exemptions should be possible.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:31 PM

15,634 posts, read 17,936,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Presumably with an inferior system, or maybe not as often.

I think medical exceptions can be made. There is a big difference between kids using their phones to monitor serious health conditions and playing Fortnite or giggling at memes.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM

34,116 posts, read 42,580,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Presumably with an inferior system, or maybe not as often.

I think medical exceptions can be made. There is a big difference between kids using their phones to monitor serious health conditions and playing Fortnite or giggling at memes.
Or arranging to get out of class to get a blow job in the stairwell.
Or fire up a blunt in the restroom.
Or sending a dick picture.
Or getting answers for a test.
Or setting up a beat down for somebody.

The above were all things I stopped/saw on cell phones in school. The most common were the first and third examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or