U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 01:40 PM

10,083 posts, read 5,200,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
How did she track her levels before phones?
She likely didn't have the new technology of continuous glucose monitors, which are FAR more effective than multiple fingersticks throughout the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 02:43 PM

5,634 posts, read 1,413,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
She likely didn't have the new technology of continuous glucose monitors, which are FAR more effective than multiple fingersticks throughout the day.
I don't have an issue with it but I can see the potential for abuse by a person that doesn't have diabetes.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 PM

21,232 posts, read 16,948,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't have an issue with it but I can see the potential for abuse by a person that doesn't have diabetes.
I think that’s a little ridiculous. If she is that much of a brittle diabetic most likely the school already knows about her issues. She probably needs to eat something at other times during the day if her sugar is low then the other students as well and they may already have an accommodation for that. Schools know their students who have serious health problems for the most part, and parents and teachers talk to each other. If they require a 501 plan in order for her to be able to use the phone, then a doctor has to fill out a form stating that she requires it. It’s not just something where they’re going to say oh she has diabetes she needs her phone and the school will say OK. A 501 plan is what kids who are not special education are under when they need an accommodation. Even with it though there may not be a reason she needs the phone all the time and they may not allow that. Maybe they’ll tell her it has to be kept at the nurses station and if she needs to be a couple minutes late to a class so she can go check it then that’s the accommodation they’ll make.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 1,810,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Obviously no school shootings have been thwarted. That is not the point. Student's cell phones have been use to gather intelligence during most school shootings all the way back to Columbine, which has likely saved lives.

I'm pretty sure that student cell phones must have at some time, also been used to communicate during fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. Since those are all common occurrences in the world and students would have likely had cell phones during such events.
You say "likely" saved lives, but there is no evidence they did. And you admit phones have never prevented a shooting.

If phones still work during such disasters, you don't need several thousand school kids overloading the lines that civil authorities need.

And you've made no argument whatsoever in favor of phones for an emergency other than a civil disaster or terrorist act.

Last edited by cebuan; 08-23-2019 at 10:04 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

10,475 posts, read 12,458,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
A phone is a phone. Why try to complicate it? Good for the school.
I disagree.......why not teach kids when phones are appropriate to have out vs. stored? You can bring phones to church, to court so why not school? You can't use them while your there but the judge/pastor doesn't take them away from you!

In the wake of school violence, I would want to be able to communicate with a child any time.

Old Today, 04:26 AM

4,682 posts, read 1,810,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I disagree.......why not teach kids when phones are appropriate to have out vs. stored? You can bring phones to church, to court so why not school? You can't use them while your there but the judge/pastor doesn't take them away from you!

In the wake of school violence, I would want to be able to communicate with a child any time.
Americans think the Constitution gives them the right to do whatever is not prohibited by law. That is not an environment in which you can expect an honor system to work,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or