Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Turn it around??! He was only 21! He'd only barely begun to live it!
Yeah, well...

He's p***ed the rest of his life away permanently now.

Too bad, so sad.

Staying out of jail isn't magic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
What a horrible thing to happen to that poor woman.

If I had to guess, it was drugs + jealousy for a woman being wealthy (those were $700k and up homes).

I find it strange that one of the deliverers stayed to show her how to work the washer & dryer. I would never expect a delivery guy to know how to work all the different appliances, or have the time to do that for all the deliveries. Even if he did, I wouldn't rely on that. I'm pretty experienced with washers at my age, and I have the manual.

All my deliverers through the years simply delivered and hooked up the appliances. Not one of them stayed to show me how to work them. Nor should they have. They're delivery guys. That would have been a red flag to me.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:50 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yeah, well...

He's p***ed the rest of his life away permanently now.

Too bad, so sad.

Staying out of jail isn't magic.

Someone who would do that to a 75 year old woman for no apparent reason needs to be executed imo. He's a monumental waste of space, but with our worthless justice system he'll get taken care of for decades. Free health care for this scum, none for 50 million law abiding citizens.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:59 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I ordered a refrigerator from Home Depot a few months ago. Their (subcontracted) delivery people were supposed to arrive between 10-12, didn't show up, I called HD mid-afternoon, they said they "had no contact with the delivery company," at 5 pm I called again to postpone the delivery because it was now pitch-black outside and my driveway was snowy and icy, they said they "had no contact with the delivery company." I hung up and the delivery company was a no-show. I subsequently cancelled the order, the delivery company showed up a few days later anyway, I took one look at them and would never, ever let them in the house. Completely unvetted, no communication with the seller, their dispatch apparently has no idea where they were or what they were supposed to be doing, the lead guy sounded like he was on drugs and the other guy was staggering around my now-sanded driveway.

I won't buy anything requiring delivery any more unless the seller has their own delivery people, who are usually residents of the area. The third-party delivery companies use employees from out-of-state. No wonder they're not vetted. I bet some of them are hired completely sight-unseen by the employer.

I feel for this woman's family. It won't bring her back, but I hope they sue the **** out of Best Buy.
Everyone's experiences are different. I'm over 60 and have had quite a few deliveries from Home Depot, Lowe's, and other stores over the years. I've never had the issue you describe.

It may be because of where you live, or that one store that didn't follow procedure.

I did have one installer not show up on the day of installation of a new stove. I called Lowe's about it, of course, and cancelled, since I had to arrange to take off work for all installations, so it would have to be rescheduled. I don't know if Lowe's knew what happened, but it doesn't matter. They didn't charge me for the delivery/installation, and rescheduled. The next time, they showed up.

Sometimes these working guys do have problems because of the nature of their business. Workers don't show up, or quit in the middle of a job if they get angry. It's the nature of that type of work. They should always call, though.

I bought a fridge from Home Depot in 2017. Those delivery/installer guys were amazing. They were very professional. Showed up on time, rolled the fridge in, took all the plastic wrapping off and popped in the trays, plugged her in, gave me the paperwork, had me sign off, asked if I needed anything else, then got into their delivery truck and away they went. But they didn't stay to show me how to set the temperature or anything. That's what's strange about the dead woman's situation. Delivery guys aren't appliance guys. They deliver and install. They can't possibly know how to work all the different appliances they deliver. You're supposed to read the manual and call the manufacturer with questions.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Everyone's experiences are different. I'm over 60 and have had quite a few deliveries from Home Depot, Lowe's, and other stores over the years. I've never had the issue you describe.

It may be because of where you live, or that one store that didn't follow procedure.

I did have one installer not show up on the day of installation of a new stove. I called Lowe's about it, of course, and cancelled, since I had to arrange to take off work for all installations, so it would have to be rescheduled. I don't know if Lowe's knew what happened, but it doesn't matter. They didn't charge me for the delivery/installation, and rescheduled. The next time, they showed up.

Sometimes these working guys do have problems because of the nature of their business. Workers don't show up, or quit in the middle of a job if they get angry. It's the nature of that type of work. They should always call, though.

I bought a fridge from Home Depot in 2017. Those delivery/installer guys were amazing. They were very professional. Showed up on time, rolled the fridge in, took all the plastic wrapping off and popped in the trays, plugged her in, gave me the paperwork, had me sign off, asked if I needed anything else, then got into their delivery truck and away they went. But they didn't stay to show me how to set the temperature or anything. That's what's strange about the dead woman's situation. Delivery guys aren't appliance guys. They deliver and install. They can't possibly know how to work all the different appliances they deliver. You're supposed to read the manual and call the manufacturer with questions.
I've had two washer/dryer sets delivered from Best Buy since I've had my new home (last October). I have a stacked unit in the kitchen for everyday laundry and the new front loader pair in the basement that were recently delivered. That set are basically just for heavy blankets and large comforters, runner rugs on the back porch, and the like. The Best Buy delivery guys in each case not only delivered the appliances but ran them through a short cycle to ensure that they worked OK. I'm really glad they did so in the recent installation of the front loader pair, because it turned out that my old valves both had leaks and I had to call a plumber that night to install new water valves. Maybe I've just been lucky with our local Best Buy, thank G-d. I've used them for years for a number of appliance deliveries/installs, and they've always been great.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:17 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

It's relatively recent that companies are subcontracting on the scale they are now. I too have had deliveries for years, this is really taken on steam (subcontracting) with Amazon Flex drivers, etc. I never experienced this to the extent I have now in the past. Walmart just started it within the past 6 months, Amazon Flex drivers just started delivering my stuff in the past few months, etc. Chances are you will experience it as well if you need things delivered. Lowes, Home Depot, all of them are starting to subcontract and no one is monitoring how the subcontractors are screening. The subcontractor companies themselves used to use their own employees, as in W2, etc. Now they are starting to use the Amazon Flex/Lyft/Doordash model where anyone who signs up can deliver for them (not furniture in most cases but delivery of smaller items, Walmart grocery, etc).

I think all of us agree the store delivery drivers are good, that was the point of that poster's post, that she only will use stores that have their own delivery people and don't subcontract. But as I said, chances are that won't be an option the way it's going.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I’m always nervous of all these delivery people. It’s not just recently.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
What a horrible thing to happen to that poor woman.

If I had to guess, it was drugs + jealousy for a woman being wealthy (those were $700k and up homes).

I find it strange that one of the deliverers stayed to show her how to work the washer & dryer. I would never expect a delivery guy to know how to work all the different appliances, or have the time to do that for all the deliveries. Even if he did, I wouldn't rely on that. I'm pretty experienced with washers at my age, and I have the manual.

All my deliverers through the years simply delivered and hooked up the appliances. Not one of them stayed to show me how to work them. Nor should they have. They're delivery guys. That would have been a red flag to me.
That was just his excuse for staying behind, in the house, alone with her. She probably didn't ask for that. He probably volunteered.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
His partner said he heard screams, so unfortunately I don't think the poor woman died quickly or painlessly.
She was alive when Mr. Gonzalez found her. (the other truck guy). She died at the hospital. I believe it was a day or so later.

Regarding the picture, I think maybe it was her work badge picture...which may have been several years old. My work badge hasn't been updated in at least 10 years. Probably longer.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I'm curious if he has a previous record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events