Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 03:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Its not the unemployment rate. Even if it was higher unemployment, most people need full-time jobs with benefits. These are piecemeal jobs that have no benefits whatsoever and sporadic work and pay very little. That is definitely going to result in a lower quality of employee then when the employees worked for the store as regular employees. Companies want to cut cost as much as possible. If doing a background check thoroughly cost $175, many of them will probably just skip it.

In addition, there's the "Ban the Box" initiatives (and in some regions, laws) to consider.

Best Buy (and Home Depot, which also installs their appliances), are just two companies who no longer ask about criminal history on employment applications. Where there are laws in place (i.e., Palm Beach County government), the question cannot be asked at any time during the application process. Expect to see more such laws, with even felony convictions ignored since, to not do so is now considered discrimination and a violation of EEOC laws.

And be wary of the "fine print" in YOUR Ban the Box law, people. Here, it applies to city businesses. But home improvement businesses, for example, which contract for work in suburbs or rural areas (in fact, where most of their work is performed) most often have their main office within city limits. And that means that they're required to ban the box.

Second chances are a good thing. But homeowners and customers should be the ones to decide who they want performing work in their homes--and knowing the layout of their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 04:25 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]

In addition, there's the "Ban the Box" initiatives (and in some regions, laws) to consider.

Best Buy (and Home Depot, which also installs their appliances), are just two companies who no longer ask about criminal history on employment applications. Where there are laws in place (i.e., Palm Beach County government), the question cannot be asked at any time during the application process. Expect to see more such laws, with even felony convictions ignored since, to not do so is now considered discrimination and a violation of EEOC laws.

And be wary of the "fine print" in YOUR Ban the Box law, people. Here, it applies to city businesses. But home improvement businesses, for example, which contract for work in suburbs or rural areas (in fact, where most of their work is performed) most often have their main office within city limits. And that means that they're required to ban the box.

Second chances are a good thing. But homeowners and customers should be the ones to decide who they want performing work in their homes--and knowing the layout of their homes.
I can see both sides of that. There are people who pay with their lives for non-violent offenses. Once you serve your sentence now you’re doomed never to be able to rejoin society. Then they become career criminals because they don’t have the option of earning a living. If they’re doing background checks anything relevant will show up in that anyway. These subcontracting outfits are very fly by night. I worry much more about the folks they hire than store employees.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
That's your opinion, not fact.

Obama was a racially polarizing figure from the git-go just from the fact that he associated with the hate-filled racist Reverend Wright. He got worse from there ...
I guess we all live in our own reality.
You certainly live in yours.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I am a liberal and I would never want to hurt someone who is successful. This guy was a horrible, evil and vile person. I cannot imagine how someone could ever do something like this to anyone, let alone an elderly woman. It has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with a very sick mind.

Well Said...
Some scum prey on elderly folks, in particular, because they are seen to be an easy victim, due to their age.
It has gotten worse as time goes by. I carry protection where ever i go, nowadays.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:49 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is exactly what happen with my mother and her Walmart grocery delivery. They left some of her stuff on the delivery truck, and when I called Walmart they tried to tell me they didn’t have contact with the delivery company and that I would have to call them. I was having none of that, and I have no problem getting medieval with poor customer service. I told them no I paid Walmart, and it is not my responsibility to contact their subcontractors. It took a few minutes of arguing to get a manager on the phone, and then I had to argue with the manager. They actually had the nerve to suggest that if I wanted to come to the store, I could pick up the missing items. Hello, I paid to have her groceries delivered because I did not want to go to the store. In the end, they had her stuff re-delivered but I think they just re-ordered it for her vs calling the delivery subcontractor.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the choice to just not use a grocery store that delivers because they use subcontractors. Walmart and ShopRite are the only places that deliver to where my mom is and if they both use subcontractors there’s no other option.I don’t know if ShopRite uses subcontractors yet or not, but their delivery is twice as much as Walmart so I try to use Walmart.

I have a feeling that everyone is going to be using them shortly and we won’t have any options at all. They are basically sending unvetted strangers to our homes. Even when they aren’t criminals, I think they do a much poorer job overall then store delivery people do.

We shop online with Walmart. We go to the store for pickup of groceries. We park in specified parking spaces. A store shopper brings our groceries out, loads up our car. We don't even have to get out of the car anymore, if we don't want to. We love it this way...We've been shopping this way since the beginning of this year...

Old 08-24-2019, 12:57 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
It was probably done for a gang initiation. Some gangs require you to kill a random civilian before they let you in.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It was probably done for a gang initiation. Some gangs require you to kill a random civilian before they let you in.
With his coworker in the truck just feet away? Very unlikely.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:42 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We shop online with Walmart. We go to the store for pickup of groceries. We park in specified parking spaces. A store shopper brings our groceries out, loads up our car. We don't even have to get out of the car anymore, if we don't want to. We love it this way...We've been shopping this way since the beginning of this year...
I just started doing this too, and it's great. I actually hate going inside the actual WalMart I use because it's so huge, but it's fine for pickup. The only thing I don't buy there is produce, but I just go 1 minute away to Wegmans for that.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:58 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Yes I do that too. But I order groceries online and have them delivered to my mom because I don’t have time to bring them to her and she’s in an assisted living and doesn’t drive.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
With his coworker in the truck just feet away? Very unlikely.
You're not making sense.

He attacked an elderly woman with his coworker in the truck just feet away. That he didn't manage to kill her immediately was just an accident, because he certainly tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events