U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

5,829 posts, read 6,641,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They were probably more concerned about keeping an eye on their kids than their dog being out unsupervised in the back yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Mind read much?
I don't think it takes a mind reader to know that it's more important to watch for the safety of a child than a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 23 days ago)

12,640 posts, read 6,557,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
The owners should not have left the dog outside by himself with no supervision. I am glad he made it back home.
I agree with you. And this is not blaming the owners for what happened. But in today's society where things like this happen, people should really take better precautions. Just like I'd tell people that they shouldn't walk around outside in a high crime neighborhood (or any neighborhood) with a wad of cash visible in their hands. They have every right to walk outside with cash in their hand and they wouldn't be to blame if someone stole the visible cash out of their hand, (only the person who stole the cash would have any blame) but its sound advice all the same.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

36,328 posts, read 10,777,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I don't think it takes a mind reader to know that it's more important to watch for the safety of a child than a dog.
Newsflash: They're not mutually exclusive.

But thanks for the profound observation that children are more important than animals.

Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM

1,568 posts, read 577,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Donít forget the DoorDash driver who, along with his buddy/co-pilot, beat a man permanently injuring his leg, because the guy, in his pajamas, didnít walk out into the street and over to the drivers car to get his food.

These Flex drivers arenít Amazon employees, they are contract people like Uber, Lyft and DoorDash. I donít know that they are screened at all. When I had a text saying my Amazon package was delivered but I couldnít find it, Amazon said they have no contact with the drivers. She just tried to help me find package on some map while I walked around house and then simply re-ordered it for me. I wanted her to call the driver but she said they donít do that.
I remember reading about that driver, crazy stuff is going on with some of these guys. I didnít know the drivers werenít Amazon employees, that explains a lot. Contract people, guess that means the companies are trolling for cheap, unskilled labor. There is no excuse for Amazon to use sub standard drivers, how many billions does Amazon make?

Old Today, 03:18 AM

10,608 posts, read 6,046,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree with you. And this is not blaming the owners for what happened. But in today's society where things like this happen, people should really take better precautions. Just like I'd tell people that they shouldn't walk around outside in a high crime neighborhood (or any neighborhood) with a wad of cash visible in their hands. They have every right to walk outside with cash in their hand and they wouldn't be to blame if someone stole the visible cash out of their hand, (only the person who stole the cash would have any blame) but its sound advice all the same.
Leaving your dog outside unattended is nothing what so ever like walking through the hood alone with a wad of cash. I can't believe you went there. Dogs go outside unattended all the time, expecting them to be stolen is kind of ridiculous

Old Today, 06:04 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 23 days ago)

12,640 posts, read 6,557,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Leaving your dog outside unattended is nothing what so ever like walking through the hood alone with a wad of cash. I can't believe you went there. Dogs go outside unattended all the time, expecting them to be stolen is kind of ridiculous
Whether they are perfect comparisons does not change the fundamental argument that there are common safety precautions you should take for various every day functions and activities. If you have a friendly dog (and particularly a small, friendly dog) that is not going to attack whoever is trying to steal him/her, you shouldn't be leaving the dog unattended outside as dog thefts are nothing new. I recall growing up that there were numerous dog thefts in my neighborhood, all from people leaving their dogs unattended for a period of time (sometimes it wasn't even a very long period of time).

And its not about expecting your dog to be stolen, but rather taking precautions to eliminate or reduce the risk of that happening. Hell, walking down the streets in a crime infested neighborhood with a wad of cash in your hands, odds are you won't be robbed, but you'd still be a fool to do so.

I bet this family never leaves their dog unattended outside again.

Old Today, 01:15 PM

238 posts, read 86,958 times
I work in downtown San Francisco.
I see no less than twenty homeless people each day.
About a third of them have dogs or puppies.
This topic makes me wonder where the homeless gets their dogs from.

Old Today, 01:42 PM

22,308 posts, read 21,949,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I work in downtown San Francisco.
I see no less than twenty homeless people each day.
About a third of them have dogs or puppies.
This topic makes me wonder where the homeless gets their dogs from.
There is no lack of those people who dump their dogs. That would be my guess.

Old Today, 01:46 PM

22,308 posts, read 21,949,156 times
Quote:

I'm not so sure. I was on my way to work one day and there was a basset hound on the side of the road so I stopped and got him checked his collar and called the number, waited for the lady to come get him (made me late for work btw). Where I found him was miles from where she lived. She was so happy she was in tears. About 2 months later I was checking the lost dogs section of the adds and there he was again, lost. I dont know if they ever got him back.

Old Today, 01:58 PM

10,608 posts, read 6,046,938 times
Quote:
Whether they are perfect comparisons does not change the fundamental argument that there are common safety precautions you should take for various every day functions and activities. If you have a friendly dog (and particularly a small, friendly dog) that is not going to attack whoever is trying to steal him/her, you shouldn't be leaving the dog unattended outside as dog thefts are nothing new. I recall growing up that there were numerous dog thefts in my neighborhood, all from people leaving their dogs unattended for a period of time (sometimes it wasn't even a very long period of time).

And its not about expecting your dog to be stolen, but rather taking precautions to eliminate or reduce the risk of that happening. Hell, walking down the streets in a crime infested neighborhood with a wad of cash in your hands, odds are you won't be robbed, but you'd still be a fool to do so.
nev
Yeah on second thought I kind of agree with you, perhaps leaving a dog like this outside is taking unnecessary risks. I never saw a problem with it because I had shepherds over the years and left them alone but nobody would approach and try to take a dog like that. But dogs that wag their tails at strangers are at risk for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events