U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,491 posts, read 2,221,864 times
Reputation: 7181

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad he got the sentence he deserved. If it turns out this accident happened because of someone's criminality or neglect, I hope they are punished, as well.

Still, it doesn't support your declaration that most inspectors of elevators or in the construction in NYC are on the take. That's quite an accusation.

Anywhere there's money, somebody's going to try to figure out a way to get some of it.
He was the top guy. The corruption goes all the way to the top. Even after his arrest, cranes continue to topple over at least once a year, in NYC. I wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,162 posts, read 55,408,623 times
Reputation: 68048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
He was the top guy. The corruption goes all the way to the top. Even after his arrest, cranes continue to topple over at least once a year, in NYC. I wonder why.
LOL, now you're just making things up. There are several hundred cranes in operation in NYC at any given time, and one does not topple over "at least once a year". Even when there is a crane accident, that does not mean it was because an inspector got paid off. Sometimes it's operator error.

"The corruption goes all the way to the top." It was AT the top. Read the article you posted. It was the chief crane inspector working with a specific contractor. Another inspector falsified records in another case. There were lots of lawsuits, and both incidents happened more than ten years ago. It says right in the article that these incidents in 2007 and 2008 in which people died forced changes to crane inspection procedures and licensing and the hiring of more inspectors.

Doesn't mean there still isn't someone trying to figure out how to get around the new rules, but what you describe with cranes crashing on a regular schedule and people taking bribes left and right sounds to me like someone who has never been to New York City but who watches a lot of TV and movies and thinks they know all about it.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,491 posts, read 2,221,864 times
Reputation: 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, now you're just making things up. There are several hundred cranes in operation in NYC at any given time, and one does not topple over "at least once a year". Even when there is a crane accident, that does not mean it was because an inspector got paid off. Sometimes it's operator error.

"The corruption goes all the way to the top." It was AT the top. Read the article you posted. It was the chief crane inspector working with a specific contractor. Another inspector falsified records in another case. There were lots of lawsuits, and both incidents happened more than ten years ago. It says right in the article that these incidents in 2007 and 2008 in which people died forced changes to crane inspection procedures and licensing and the hiring of more inspectors.

Doesn't mean there still isn't someone trying to figure out how to get around the new rules, but what you describe with cranes crashing on a regular schedule and people taking bribes left and right sounds to me like someone who has never been to New York City but who watches a lot of TV and movies and thinks they know all about it.
I'm making nothing up. It does happen on a regular schedule. There have been two crane accidents in NYC just this year, by just one company. The company was finally shut down after the second one. It's happening more then once a year.

Quote:
Crane work halted at 20-plus sites after company’s second crane-related accident
United Crane and Rigging must replace certain personnel

The city has halted crane work at more than 20 construction sites until a Long Island City-based company replaces personnel involved in two accidents, one of which led to a fatality.
The Department of Buildings barred United Crane and Rigging from continuing work at 22 sites, following a fatal crane collapse in April and another incident two weeks ago. United can only resume work once it replaces the personnel who supervised crane work on July 30 at a New York City Housing Authority apartment complex in the East Village.
City shut down 22 sites where United Crane and Rigging was operating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
 
Location: California
1,638 posts, read 473,048 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
One of my 17 year-old daughters is a magnet for elevators getting stuck. She's been trapped three times now at work at JC Penney's, once briefly in our hotel in NYC & the longest time was for several hours at a hotel in Salt Lake City.

I don't think it's ever happened to me ... not even once.

It happened to me once. I was in an office building and the elevator was a smaller one and it was packed. The AC or fan also stopped working and with all of us in there it was getting warm fast and hard to breath. One woman fainted. Took about an hour and we were out. But at least the door was shut and we weren’t crushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
22,486 posts, read 14,769,991 times
Reputation: 32009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Stop being shocked.

It's not an invasion of privacy, and no one has to look at it. What we don't need, is censorship.

If anything, it should reinforce what not to do if people find themselves in a malfunctioning elevator car.
I disagree that this is not an invasion of the deceased’s privacy.

And I reserve the right to be shocked by what seems to me to be an outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,491 posts, read 2,221,864 times
Reputation: 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I disagree that this is not an invasion of the deceased’s privacy.

And I reserve the right to be shocked by what seems to me to be an outrage.
What is shocking, is that you are shocked about it. Freedom of speech and the press is in the US Constitution. The right to privacy is not. You are pitting a Constitutional right against an imaginary right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
22,486 posts, read 14,769,991 times
Reputation: 32009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What is shocking, is that you are shocked about it. Freedom of speech and the press is in the US Constitution. The right to privacy is not. You are pitting a Constitutional right against an imaginary right.
I am not sure this qualifies as a freedom of speech issue. Is it OK to post nude pics of a non consenting party? I think posting a pic of someone’s horrible death would surely be just as bad.

I am not an attorney. I don’t really know how “freedom of speech’ applies here. I imagine a similar case has been ruled on at some time in the past. I do suspect this was leaked though, and probably was not meant to ever be made public.

Do you enjoy watching videos like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,491 posts, read 2,221,864 times
Reputation: 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not sure this qualifies as a freedom of speech issue. Is it OK to post nude pics of a non consenting party? I think posting a pic of someone’s horrible death would surely be just as bad.

I am not an attorney. I don’t really know how “freedom of speech’ applies here. I imagine a similar case has been ruled on at some time in the past. I do suspect this was leaked though, and probably was not meant to ever be made public.

Do you enjoy watching videos like this?
I watched the video. I have see worse.

There are recent laws against posting nude pictures of a non consenting parties. I don't believe the Constitutionality of those laws has ever been decided. There are no laws anywhere against publishing pictures of horrible deaths, and there never has been. I think any attempt to pass such laws would be a very bad precedent, and the end of the First Amendment, as we know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Texas from Maryland
40 posts, read 3,141 times
Reputation: 46
horrible but the guy at the end of the video is just confused... In shock I'm sure. I'm scared of elevators for this reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top