U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:36 PM

96 posts, read 65,845 times

Advertisements

Yikes. That is tragic. Too young to die at age 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 10:56 PM

1,101 posts, read 307,719 times
Is there some graphic video or photos in the link in the OP or something? Is that why everyone keeps saying "I wish I could unsee that"? If that's the case, maybe a mod could add a warning so other people know before they click (and it's precisely why I'm *not* clicking)?

Old 08-24-2019, 04:12 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,205,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Is there some graphic video or photos in the link in the OP or something? Is that why everyone keeps saying "I wish I could unsee that"? If that's the case, maybe a mod could add a warning so other people know before they click (and it's precisely why I'm *not* clicking)?
There is a video, but the video has a warning at the beginning and it doesn’t autoplay. You can click the link and read the story without actually seeing the video.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 461,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The very worst one of these I remember was in a residential building in the city, back in the '90s, I think. Two women called for help on the intercom because their elevator stopped and the doors opened but the elevator was above the floor leaving only an opening about halfway down by their feet. The building maintenance guy came to help, stuck his head inside the opening to talk to them, and at that moment the elevator started to move, decaptitating the maintenance man and leaving his head inside the moving elevator with the two women. I always wondered if the eyes blinked for a second or if he was still cognizant for a few seconds in some way and they could see it.

You would have had to put me in a soft room for a while with some heavy-duty drugs before I recovered from that.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 AM

1,303 posts, read 581,900 times
I saw the headline, and I thought, "I’m really not going to like this story." And I was right.

From the outside, you only have a few seconds to react, and people probably only have a few seconds to react.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 AM

9,989 posts, read 6,854,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I saw the headline, and I thought, "I’m really not going to like this story." And I was right.

From the outside, you only have a few seconds to react, and people probably only have a few seconds to react.
What does this even mean???

Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 AM

862 posts, read 1,453,520 times
I found it unusual, except for the young guy who just got off the elevator, that the initial reaction from the others was to walk away and look away instead of seeing if there was some way to help. People have lived through pretty horrific accidents, I just wouldn't assume he immediately died. I don't blame them since they were just reacting instinctively, just found it unusual.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:59 PM

8,556 posts, read 5,943,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe 16th-Century London, at the Tower. Legend has it that Anne Boleyn's lips continued to move in prayer after her head was separated from her neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It wasn't exactly an uncommon observation by the public, including doctors, in the early days of France's guillotine (though even that wasn't enough to preclude its use there until the late 1970s).

I assumed it was something along those lines.... an actual observation. I'm not a squeamish guy, and have seen my share of blood and death. But a disembodied head still showing a semblance of life is beyond creepy, and a bit over the top even for me.
Anyway, thanks for the "too much information".

Old 08-24-2019, 01:46 PM

21,878 posts, read 14,541,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I found it unusual, except for the young guy who just got off the elevator, that the initial reaction from the others was to walk away and look away instead of seeing if there was some way to help. People have lived through pretty horrific accidents, I just wouldn't assume he immediately died. I don't blame them since they were just reacting instinctively, just found it unusual.
I did too, people averting their gaze and getting out of there instead of showing concern and a willingness to help. The difference between large, impersonal cities and smaller towns.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:54 PM

52,468 posts, read 42,196,618 times
The people in that elevator would have been below the guy when it occurred.

They would have literally been showered in gore and stuck like that for quite a while.

I agree with the victims father, they pay >3k/month, the place had repeated issues with the elevators...that's just unacceptable.

Seems odd that they get it shut down, "fixed it" and then shortly after getting inspected and cleared it kills this guy. Makes me wonder just wth happened there and if somebody may have gotten paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or