Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 PM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Wow it said the elevators were not in good shape to begin with....

They should be majorly held accoutable for this
They'll get sued for sure. No doubt the people standing there when it happened will also sue for pain and suffering. I'm sure they'll all have nightmares. I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Horrible. Yes backpack guy was really lucky. Missed death by a millisecond. I didn’t realize that there was so much room between the elevator and the shaft wall. In traditional elevators there’s only a few inches.
That was surely his lucky day. I hope he played the lottery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 02:22 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
I just don't understand how this happens. It doesn't seem like there's any space between the elevator compartment where people are standing and the shaft wall. Because I don't understand, it makes me not sure how to depart an elevator the right way so I won't get trapped.

Poor guy. And the poor guy in the backpack who is absolutely stunned and not sure what to do.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:18 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I found it unusual, except for the young guy who just got off the elevator, that the initial reaction from the others was to walk away and look away instead of seeing if there was some way to help. People have lived through pretty horrific accidents, I just wouldn't assume he immediately died. I don't blame them since they were just reacting instinctively, just found it unusual.
It's shock, and it's normal. Not everyone has the ability to snap into action. That's why not everyone is cut out to be cops, firefighters, or EMTs.

Frankly though, other than calling 911, there's nothing anyone could have done to help.

What I'm curious about ... would this give the other tenants cause to legally break their lease? Clearly the management has not maintained safe conditions. And it's a 23-story building ... I can't imagine anyone is going to ever feel comfortable getting on those elevators ever again.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:25 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
I wouldn't care about being able to break my lease after this, due to the fact that a death ocurred due to negligence. I'd break the lease then do the court thing to get my deposit back. I think I'd win with a jury in this case.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:31 PM

758 posts, read 550,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I did too, people averting their gaze and getting out of there instead of showing concern and a willingness to help. The difference between large, impersonal cities and smaller towns.
Yeah, just what we need--instead of one person killed by the elevator, two or three Rambo heroes making the whole thing fall to the basement, killing several others, because they did not know what they were doing as they tried to save this person.

Why is it that anytime something bad happens in a city there's always some yahoo ready to say "They are so impersonal" and "God is punishing them," but when the same thing happens in flyover country its all "Why do bad things happen to good people" and "God called this special soul home"?

Old 08-24-2019, 03:39 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Yeah, just what we need--instead of one person killed by the elevator, two or three Rambo heroes making the whole thing fall to the basement, killing several others, because they did not know what they were doing as they tried to save this person.

Why is it that anytime something bad happens in a city there's always some yahoo ready to say "They are so impersonal" and "God is punishing them," but when the same thing happens in flyover country its all "Why do bad things happen to good people" and "God called this special soul home"?
Not only that, but there was nothing that they could have done to help. The guy's limbs were crushed in a second, the damage was done.
I get so sick of reading posts blaming bystanders in this forum.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:41 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I just don't understand how this happens. It doesn't seem like there's any space between the elevator compartment where people are standing and the shaft wall. Because I don't understand, it makes me not sure how to depart an elevator the right way so I won't get trapped.

Poor guy. And the poor guy in the backpack who is absolutely stunned and not sure what to do.
He tried to exit at the same time the elevator suddenly shot downwards. His limbs were crushed where the floor of the lobby met the top of the elevator. It looked to me like a horrifically painful death, poor man.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:26 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
He tried to exit at the same time the elevator suddenly shot downwards. His limbs were crushed where the floor of the lobby met the top of the elevator. It looked to me like a horrifically painful death, poor man.
I want to believe it was instantaneous.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:25 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There is a video, but the video has a warning at the beginning and it doesn’t autoplay. You can click the link and read the story without actually seeing the video.
Good to know, thanks.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

Yes. According to the ME, he died of blunt force trauma to the neck and torso--and mechanical asphyxiation.

We know what that means. Poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events