U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:20 PM

3,298 posts, read 1,642,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I still don't get the part about getting "crushed." You need two unmovable pieces to get crushed but his back was to the inside of the elevator so did't he just fall back inside?
I have been trying to figure this out as well. As the elevator moved down, he had to make a step up while also lifting himself up and out. His upper body was still in the elevator while his arms, legs, and his head were partially out, a position to lift out. Then the floor of the lobby met the ceiling of the elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 06:41 PM

36,457 posts, read 10,807,728 times
From the account:

As the door started to close and the elevator descended, Mr. Waisbren put out his hand to try to stop the door from closing. But the elevator kept going down, and that's when he tried to rush through the door and got caught.

Horrific, but simple. He was caught between the car and the wall--and crushed as the elevator descended.

The [ground] floor did not "meet the ceiling of the elevator." The car didn't "plummet," it descended with someone stuck between the car and the shaft. There were others in the elevator, standing behind the victim, who were in the elevator when it descended, intact. And they weren't injured.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 PM

14,886 posts, read 9,926,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
There were others in the elevator, standing behind the victim, who were in the elevator when it descended, intact. And they weren't injured.
Now that's news to me. It's hard to blame the guy and ask why didn't he do this or that. Reflexes take over. He stuck his hands out to grab something because he thought he was "falling." Everyday I get on an elevator circa 1920s.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 PM

36,457 posts, read 10,807,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Now that's news to me. It's hard to blame the guy and ask why didn't he do this or that. Reflexes take over. He stuck his hands out to grab something because he thought he was "falling." Everyday I get on an elevator circa 1920s.

Yes, it wasn't just the kid with the backpack who got a ringside view. The others in the elevator looked on in horror, too.

If you're interested, this video ( before all of them are removed or edited) shows the scene just a bit to the right of the lady on the phone who obscures the view in most of the other clips. It's horrific, but you can clearly see the victim's arms naturally go up as he's pulled down and into that gap.

There was a history of elevator problems, with tenants complaining about elevators not stopping, skipping floors, etc. But this particular one had additional problems including what was described by one tenant on the day of the accident as a "larger than normal" gap between the car and the shaft.

It was shortly afterwards that tenants were being quoted as saying that they "weren't allowed to comment."

Think about it. We've all been on elevators, and that gap is virtually imperceptible. But if this one was even large enough to accommodate a leg, that's all it would take for someone who'd lost his footing on exiting to be sucked in as the car unexpectedly descended.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-...nade-building/

Old 08-28-2019, 03:35 AM

3,298 posts, read 1,642,919 times
Quote:
From the account:

As the door started to close and the elevator descended, Mr. Waisbren put out his hand to try to stop the door from closing. But the elevator kept going down, and that's when he tried to rush through the door and got caught.

Horrific, but simple. He was caught between the car and the wall--and crushed as the elevator descended.

The [ground] floor did not "meet the ceiling of the elevator." The car didn't "plummet," it descended with someone stuck between the car and the shaft. There were others in the elevator, standing behind the victim, who were in the elevator when it descended, intact. And they weren't injured.
What I meant by the ground floor of the lobby (where people step onto to exit) meeting the car ceiling is that they were level, but, of course, not for very long since the car kept going downward. Because the car kept going down, he then got caught between the car and the wall. I was trying to understand the moments right before where he struggled to exit. That is what caused him to get caught between the car and the wall.

I did not intend to make it seem like the ceiling of the car landed on top of the bottom of the shaft. That would be a plummeting elevator car and that did not happen here.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 AM

1,638 posts, read 473,048 times
Quote:
Yes, it wasn't just the kid with the backpack who got a ringside view. The others in the elevator looked on in horror, too.

If you're interested, this video ( before all of them are removed or edited) shows the scene just a bit to the right of the lady on the phone who obscures the view in most of the other clips. It's horrific, but you can clearly see the victim's arms naturally go up as he's pulled down and into that gap.

There was a history of elevator problems, with tenants complaining about elevators not stopping, skipping floors, etc. But this particular one had additional problems including what was described by one tenant on the day of the accident as a "larger than normal" gap between the car and the shaft.

It was shortly afterwards that tenants were being quoted as saying that they "weren't allowed to comment."

Think about it. We've all been on elevators, and that gap is virtually imperceptible. But if this one was even large enough to accommodate a leg, that's all it would take for someone who'd lost his footing on exiting to be sucked in as the car unexpectedly descended.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-...nade-building/
Yes thanks for clarifying. I mentioned earlier too that I couldn’t see how he could fall into a gap that’s normally not more than a couple of inches. Evidently that gap was quite wide.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:16 AM

1,638 posts, read 473,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
My takeaway from this is there's no lollygagging at the elevator door threshold. I'm either in or I'm out. Also I'm no longer keeping the door from closing by putting my hand in, other people will just have to wait or I'll just have to wait as well.
I agree with this. I’ve been holding doors open for people since I was in high school. I never realized how dangerous it was. Probably most people don’t even think anything about it.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:56 AM

10,916 posts, read 21,577,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There is the problem right there. The building is taking in over $1 million a month. What is a $1,000 fine going to do for a landlord raking in millions a month? And then they don't even pay the fine. The landlord was probably offended at the fine. How dare you fine us $1,000 for endangering the lives of out tenants.

The fines need to be income based to have any effect. Otherwise they are worthless.
Agree that the fines should be higher, especially for someone taking in that kind of money every month.

Heck, he should have been able to afford to install newer elevators.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 AM

392 posts, read 87,338 times
Dammn that vid was disturbing.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 AM

7,123 posts, read 2,575,783 times
When I was a teenager, our next door neighbors' son got crushed in an elevator. He lived, but he was very messed up. It crushed his face, so his face was asymmetrical in a rather severe way, and he suffered a brain injury, so he was intellectually challenged, and I guess it crushed his back or his legs because he walked with a severe limp, and one arm was mostly useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or