U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:19 AM

1,779 posts, read 311,597 times

Advertisements

Ouch, I guess he wasn't feeling very elevated after that. Well, maybe his soul was, if you believe in that type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:56 AM

17,412 posts, read 17,710,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
(snip)

There was a history of elevator problems, with tenants complaining about elevators not stopping, skipping floors, etc. But this particular one had additional problems including what was described by one tenant on the day of the accident as a "larger than normal" gap between the car and the shaft.

It was shortly afterwards that tenants were being quoted as saying that they "weren't allowed to comment."

Think about it. We've all been on elevators, and that gap is virtually imperceptible. But if this one was even large enough to accommodate a leg, that's all it would take for someone who'd lost his footing on exiting to be sucked in as the car unexpectedly descended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes thanks for clarifying. I mentioned earlier too that I couldnít see how he could fall into a gap thatís normally not more than a couple of inches. Evidently that gap was quite wide.
Thank you Delahanty. I was also wondering how he could have originally fell into that tiny opening. But, if it was large enough that other tenants noticed it then it must have been a lot larger than usual.

He was from my area and I saw a heartbreaking interview with his father.

What a shame. What a crime.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 AM

57,162 posts, read 55,408,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't know about NYC, but I once saw an elevator certificate in California that was three years out of date. The building management had put a note next to it, saying: "Yes, we know this elevator hasn't been inspected in over three years. Be assured that it is well maintained and in good working order. We just can't get anybody from the state to come and inspect it." I wouldn't put too much faith in elevator inspections.
At least they were honest!

And I never said to put faith in elevator inspections. I was responding to the person who proudly proclaimed that THEY do elevator inspections. It was more like "well, YEAH, in NYC, that's the law."

Obviously the inspection system/law doesn't catch everything or isn't complied with, or this wouldn't happen as often as it does.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:08 PM

5,491 posts, read 2,221,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
At least they were honest!

And I never said to put faith in elevator inspections. I was responding to the person who proudly proclaimed that THEY do elevator inspections. It was more like "well, YEAH, in NYC, that's the law."

Obviously the inspection system/law doesn't catch everything or isn't complied with, or this wouldn't happen as often as it does.
California is just underfunded and incompetent, so nothing gets done. In New York I would worry about corrupt inspectors, not doing their job. NYC can't even keep construction cranes from tipping over and killing people, because the inspectors are so corrupt. How can they ever hope to keep people safe in elevators? I bet it wouldn't even take $50 to get an elevator inspector to ignore an unsafe elevator.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:02 PM

5,219 posts, read 2,403,989 times
Quote:
Yes, I worked in the WTC for 20 years. Occasionally there was a malfunction and people got stuck inside. Never happened to me, but it did to someone I know. She was in there alone for a while Just sat on the floor and waited.
One of my 17 year-old daughters is a magnet for elevators getting stuck. She's been trapped three times now at work at JC Penney's, once briefly in our hotel in NYC & the longest time was for several hours at a hotel in Salt Lake City.

I don't think it's ever happened to me ... not even once.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
California is just underfunded and incompetent, so nothing gets done. In New York I would worry about corrupt inspectors, not doing their job. NYC can't even keep construction cranes from tipping over and killing people, because the inspectors are so corrupt. How can they ever hope to keep people safe in elevators? I bet it wouldn't even take $50 to get an elevator inspector to ignore an unsafe elevator.
What do you base this belief on?

Particularly regarding elevator inspectors. I have never known any.

But FYI, I spent most of my working life in the NYC construction industry, and I've known literally hundreds of construction inspectors over 40 years. Almost all of them were good people, hardworking, honest, and definitely not corrupt. Some of that is because of controls and redundancy put into the inspection process by public agencies because of history.

Sometimes corruption WAS brought to light (and probably some that was never detected) and the inspectors would be very angry because such occurrences fortify the perceptions you demonstrate. But I don't believe that it has been the norm for a very long time.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

5,491 posts, read 2,221,864 times
Quote:

What do you base this belief on?

Particularly regarding elevator inspectors. I have never known any.

But FYI, I spent most of my working life in the NYC construction industry, and I've known literally hundreds of construction inspectors over 40 years. Almost all of them were good people, hardworking, honest, and definitely not corrupt. Some of that is because of controls and redundancy put into the inspection process by public agencies because of history.

Sometimes corruption WAS brought to light (and probably some that was never detected) and the inspectors would be very angry because such occurrences fortify the perceptions you demonstrate. But I don't believe that it has been the norm for a very long time.
Quote:
Ex-NYC crane inspector gets 2-6 years in prison for taking bribes to fake inspection results

NEW YORK – NEW YORK (AP) — The city's former chief crane inspector apologized at his sentencing Wednesday for taking bribes to fake inspection and licensing exam results and said other inspectors didn't deserve the notoriety he brought them.

James Delayo was sentenced in Manhattan state Supreme Court to two to six years in prison for taking more than $10,000 in payoffs.
Ex-NYC crane inspector gets 2-6 years in prison for taking bribes to fake inspection results _ Fox News

$10,000 for fake inspections for cranes. That wasn't for just one. That was multiples. How much would one fake elevator inspection cost? Probably not much.

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

22,486 posts, read 14,769,991 times
What I lament is that this pic will be forever on the internet for any curious person to see. So this unfortunate personís last seconds will be viewable for all time. Think how painful this is for his loved ones.

I hope his death was mercifully quick.

To those who wonder why others went about their business, we donít really know what happened shortly after the accident. And I think it might be possible that most people did not understand what happened. I had to watch it twice to really understand what happened.

I am shocked that the video was posted in the internet, frankly. I think doing so is an invasion of privacy.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Ex-NYC crane inspector gets 2-6 years in prison for taking bribes to fake inspection results _ Fox News

$10,000 for fake inspections for cranes. That wasn't for just one. That was multiples. How much would one fake elevator inspection cost? Probably not much.
Glad he got the sentence he deserved. If it turns out this accident happened because of someone's criminality or neglect, I hope they are punished, as well.

Still, it doesn't support your declaration that most inspectors of elevators or in the construction in NYC are on the take. That's quite an accusation.

Anywhere there's money, somebody's going to try to figure out a way to get some of it.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

36,457 posts, read 10,807,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
What I lament is that this pic will be forever on the internet for any curious person to see. So this unfortunate personís last seconds will be viewable for all time. Think how painful this is for his loved ones.

I hope his death was mercifully quick.

To those who wonder why others went about their business, we donít really know what happened shortly after the accident. And I think it might be possible that most people did not understand what happened. I had to watch it twice to really understand what happened.

I am shocked that the video was posted in the internet, frankly. I think doing so is an invasion of privacy.

Stop being shocked.

It's not an invasion of privacy, and no one has to look at it. What we don't need, is censorship.

If anything, it should reinforce what not to do if people find themselves in a malfunctioning elevator car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or