Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 AM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The very worst one of these I remember was in a residential building in the city, back in the '90s, I think. Two women called for help on the intercom because their elevator stopped and the doors opened but the elevator was above the floor leaving only an opening about halfway down by their feet. The building maintenance guy came to help, stuck his head inside the opening to talk to them, and at that moment the elevator started to move, decaptitating the maintenance man and leaving his head inside the moving elevator with the two women. I always wondered if the eyes blinked for a second or if he was still cognizant for a few seconds in some way and they could see it.

You would have had to put me in a soft room for a while with some heavy-duty drugs before I recovered from that.
I can't recall the exact numbers, but I believe it's somewhere around 30 seconds that a head is still "cognizant..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can't recall the exact numbers, but I believe it's somewhere around 30 seconds that a head is still "cognizant..."
I don't think I want to know how that conclusion was reached.... or the research involved.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:06 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Jeeze louise that's awful.. But reading the article suggests the elevators have been jacked up for a long time now. They should've been fixed a long time ago. Why was an entire building of residents paying $3.7k a month for one bedroom units OK with riding these death traps?
I dunno, but lately I've had an uneasy feeling about them. Like millions of others, I've always just hopped on in. I read an article about them sealing the roofs so you can't get out now, I think that started my irrational fear.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:04 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't think I want to know how that conclusion was reached.... or the research involved.
Maybe 16th-Century London, at the Tower. Legend has it that Anne Boleyn's lips continued to move in prayer after her head was separated from her neck.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The building maintenance guy didn't know the proper procedure . You're never supposed to try to get in/out from an elevator that is partially between the floors. Ironically, the safest spot in a malfunctioning elevator is to stay inside and don't be doing any moves. A lot of people also die or get severely injured when they get stuck in an elevator and they try to climb out through the ceiling hatch and then the elevator does the emergency recall to the lobby (all elevators have call button override trigger that just sends them straight down skipping all of the floors, this is also why you aren't supposed to use elevators in a fire, even if you know there is no smoke in the shaft), or somebody on the upper floor calls the elevator up and it starts moving.
Yes, I worked in the WTC for 20 years. Occasionally there was a malfunction and people got stuck inside. Never happened to me, but it did to someone I know. She was in there alone for a while Just sat on the floor and waited.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
OMG That poor man.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Happened in Houston a number of years back at a hospital, took a doctors head off. Poor kid.

That building is going to get sued to death and deservedly so.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The very worst one of these I remember was in a residential building in the city, back in the '90s, I think. Two women called for help on the intercom because their elevator stopped and the doors opened but the elevator was above the floor leaving only an opening about halfway down by their feet. The building maintenance guy came to help, stuck his head inside the opening to talk to them, and at that moment the elevator started to move, decaptitating the maintenance man and leaving his head inside the moving elevator with the two women. I always wondered if the eyes blinked for a second or if he was still cognizant for a few seconds in some way and they could see it.

You would have had to put me in a soft room for a while with some heavy-duty drugs before I recovered from that.
Probably. The twitching is unnerving. I haven't seen it, but I've talked to a few people who have.

I haven't liked elevators since the 1970s when I got stuck on one in the Empire State Building for about 20 minutes. You can't not think about the void below.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post

It wasn't exactly an uncommon observation by the public, including doctors, in the early days of France's guillotine (though even that wasn't enough to preclude its use there until the late 1970s).

Old 08-23-2019, 10:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
That has wrongful death lawsuit written all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events