U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,201,611 times

Advertisements

My our lord Jesus receive her beloved soul into the heavenly realms this day

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...cid=spartandhp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 11:24 PM

10,632 posts, read 13,268,094 times
I read this in the news and it really was sad to hear. Especially as she was in the process of the transplant, which she fought so hard for. That part really is awful.
RIP Erika Zak.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

10,907 posts, read 21,562,531 times
Never heard of her. There's a GoFundMe for funeral and other expenses with 793 donors raised $58,690 of $75,000 goal.
When she first got diagnosed with colorectal cancer, the doctor told her that there was nothing that they could do. Her family didn’t take no for answer”; they went to seek more opinions. Unfortunately, she was left with a hole the size of a fist in her liver and destroyed bile ducts. Her heath insurance, United Healthcare, denied her coverage for the transplant about a year and a half ago.

My partner at the missing and unidentified person's FB page had a liver transplant 2 years ago. She's gone thru total hell waiting for her transplant. She got on the transplant list around 2006. It's very hard to get an organ. She's "lucked out" 4 times since I've known her since 2013. The 1st 3 times the doctors found the kidney unusable; the 3rd time the donor kidney had cancer. Her health has done a nose dive since I've known her. She started with a healthy heart but by the time she actually got the donor kidney; her heart was so bad that she almost got taken off of the donation list by being too sick to qualify for one.

I see the American Liver Foundation commented to CNN; my question to someone that knows her history, did they do anything to help her? My dad had AML Leukeima; there was no help to us from any cancer society. My hub had tonsil cancer, often referred to as oral cancer. His hearing is shot because of head and neck radiation and chemo. He needed hearing aids that are not covered under insurance. I reached out to every cancer society I could including the oral cancer society but no one had any money or resources to help us. Very discouraging. I bet if she or her hub reached out to American Liver Foundation that they would have no luck getting help.

Erika Zak, mom who inspired millions in her fight to get a liver, dies at 39 - By Wayne Drash, CNN - Updated 7:29 PM ET, Fri August 23, 2019
Mother pleads with insurer to save her life
Quote:
"Late yesterday the stars briefly aligned while we were at the hospital for an unrelated medical procedure and an organ miraculously became available right then for transplant. We were so excited and rushed our daughter in to spend a half hour with Erika," the family said in a statement. "She then quickly went into the OR, but deep into the surgery, her body couldn't handle some of the trauma apparently. She died in surgery.

Erika Zak Dead: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Quote:
In the wake of the tragic news, a GoFundMe was announced for the Erika Zak Memorial Fund. All funds will go towards her five-year-old daughter, Loie.

Zak’s battle against both United Health Care and UNOS was lengthy. First, she was denied coverage for a liver transplant by her health care company; after making an emotional appeal to them last year, she was finally approved.

Then, per The New York Times, Zak faced another uphill climb with UNOS, which is in charge of determining who is at the top of every organ donor list.

The circumstances around her liver surgery aren’t clear as of yet, in terms of how she was finally matched for her liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or