U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM

1,613 posts, read 465,434 times

Advertisements

I’m not suggesting the animal is taken in and out of the vehicle constantly each time the officer exits. But over the years from articles I’ve read the officer was either off duty or engaged in some kind of training or activities that were all day or very long hours without being checked on. Human intervention is the key. Those dogs should be checked on every 2 hours minimum if left in the vehicle. They are animals. They can’t roll the windows down or hop out and grab a Coke someplace if they get overheated.
Changes need to be made as evidently the techno safeguards are a failure. Leave the dog at the department kennel or have another officer check on the animal at regular intervals if officer is going to be unavailable for several or more hours or all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 PM

41,239 posts, read 3,148,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Iím not suggesting the animal is taken in and out of the vehicle constantly each time the officer exits. But over the years from articles Iíve read the officer was either off duty or engaged in some kind of training or activities that were all day or very long hours without being checked on. Human intervention is the key. Those dogs should be checked on every 2 hours minimum if left in the vehicle. They are animals. They canít roll the windows down or hop out and grab a Coke someplace if they get overheated.
Changes need to be made as evidently the techno safeguards are a failure. Leave the dog at the department kennel or have another officer check on the animal at regular intervals if officer is going to be unavailable for several or more hours or all day.
ITA. I will also add, we are becoming too dependent on technology & forget to use common sense. Someone should be checking on the dog, throughout the day. If I am cooking, & use a timer, I still make a note of the time, & mental note to check at the 30 & 60 minute marks, & not rely completely on a timer.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM

21,277 posts, read 16,967,427 times
Quote:
I’m not suggesting the animal is taken in and out of the vehicle constantly each time the officer exits. But over the years from articles I’ve read the officer was either off duty or engaged in some kind of training or activities that were all day or very long hours without being checked on. Human intervention is the key. Those dogs should be checked on every 2 hours minimum if left in the vehicle. They are animals. They can’t roll the windows down or hop out and grab a Coke someplace if they get overheated.
Again, the car was equipped with heat and temperature control system that was also supposed to send an alert to the officers cell phone if the car got too hot. He probably left the dog in the car just as the other officers do many many times before and the system that the car is equipped with took care of everything and the dogs were fine. This time the system malfunctioned. I’m not saying they might not want to re-examine their policy, but it’s not like he just left him in a regular car.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:30 PM

667 posts, read 200,933 times
These dogs cost a lot of money to train so perhaps procedures will change due to the cost factor.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM

14,895 posts, read 10,906,932 times
Quote:
Iím not suggesting the animal is taken in and out of the vehicle constantly each time the officer exits. But over the years from articles Iíve read the officer was either off duty or engaged in some kind of training or activities that were all day or very long hours without being checked on. Human intervention is the key. Those dogs should be checked on every 2 hours minimum if left in the vehicle. They are animals. They canít roll the windows down or hop out and grab a Coke someplace if they get overheated.
Okay, here comes the irritating animal lover. I'm not attacking you, TinaTwo. You obviously have concern for these dogs. But just the fact that the dog might have to sit in the car for two hours ****** me off. I'm tired of living creatures being "utilized" for our benefit without necessarily seeing to their innate needs.

Even if the temperature was fine and the dog wasn't suffering any physical trauma, the fact that they have to sit there in the car waiting for "their" human to show back up, they're just on edge the whole time. Have you ever seen a dog waiting in a car for their owner to come out of a store? They're just there. Staring. Waiting. Sometimes anxious. They don't know you're just picking up a loaf of bread. In the best situation, they're bored. And two hours is a looong time to just sit there. Try doing it sometime. Humans don't have to sit for two hours without any stimulation, smart phones and all. Anyway...

Sorry. Rant over.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:12 PM

I just thought I'd reiterate, my post was not directed at you, TinaTwo. I was just speaking generally.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 PM

1,613 posts, read 465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I just thought I'd reiterate, my post was not directed at you, TinaTwo. I was just speaking generally.
Of course, .

Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Of course, .

Old 08-25-2019, 06:54 PM

21,277 posts, read 16,967,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Okay, here comes the irritating animal lover. I'm not attacking you, TinaTwo. You obviously have concern for these dogs. But just the fact that the dog might have to sit in the car for two hours ****** me off. I'm tired of living creatures being "utilized" for our benefit without necessarily seeing to their innate needs.

Even if the temperature was fine and the dog wasn't suffering any physical trauma, the fact that they have to sit there in the car waiting for "their" human to show back up, they're just on edge the whole time. Have you ever seen a dog waiting in a car for their owner to come out of a store? They're just there. Staring. Waiting. Sometimes anxious. They don't know you're just picking up a loaf of bread. In the best situation, they're bored. And two hours is a looong time to just sit there. Try doing it sometime. Humans don't have to sit for two hours without any stimulation, smart phones and all. Anyway...

Sorry. Rant over.
I need to point out if it wasnít a car equipped with a a temperature control system it would be 100% wrong to leave an animal in a car in cold or hot temps and the person who does should be banned from owning pets and have a criminal penalty. Just this case I feel he and the other officers do this a lot, depending on the technology and up to now the system had always worked well. The fact you think animals are tools does not change the fact that the majority of the country disagrees with you and penalties for animal cruelty are being strengthened across the country. Yours is the outlier opinion.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 PM

9,135 posts, read 5,260,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you read the article, these cars are equipped with sensors that are A. Supposed to maintain proper temp and B. Send an alarm if the car gets too hot. K9 officers are left in cars a lot duels to the nature of police work. The article said the system in this car malfunctioned.
It also said they were off-duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or