Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
He probably won't be. But then again, common sense doesn't always prevail when it comes to government entities.
So sad that this dog lost his life.
It is sad. I'm sure this will haunt this cop forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
You're forgetting the thousands of dollars spent on acquiring and training the dog itself. That could quite possibly be equal to, or more than, the cost of the officers handler training. What would be the cost- benefit of possibly losing another dog?

Edited to add: And I disagree that the dog dying in a hot car was "outside the control of the officer". It most certainly was under his control to prevent what happened.... it was his mistake that caused it in the first place. Part of his duty as a handler was to insure the safety, health, and well being of his K9. He clearly failed that responsibility.
ITA & it was not the failure of the alarm system, the officer should have been aware of the time he was gone & checked the dog. He doesn't get a pass from me, because the equipment failed, he still should have checked.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
............It is also legal for citizens in California to break into a car to save an animal they believe is suffering...........

Just my opinion, but I do not recommend breaking into a police car and trying to remove the trained police dog.

A call to 911 should get a fast response.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just my opinion, but I do not recommend breaking into a police car and trying to remove the trained police dog.

A call to 911 should get a fast response.
Nah, that's an excellent way to get yourself ripped to shreds. Why didn't a citizen call 911?

Old 08-25-2019, 02:37 PM

50,782 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
You're forgetting the thousands of dollars spent on acquiring and training the dog itself. That could quite possibly be equal to, or more than, the cost of the officers handler training. What would be the cost- benefit of possibly losing another dog?

Edited to add: And I disagree that the dog dying in a hot car was "outside the control of the officer". It most certainly was under his control to prevent what happened.... it was his mistake that caused it in the first place. Part of his duty as a handler was to insure the safety, health, and well being of his K9. He clearly failed that responsibility.
If you read the article, these cars are equipped with sensors that are A. Supposed to maintain proper temp and B. Send an alarm if the car gets too hot. K9 officers are left in cars a lot duels to the nature of police work. The article said the system in this car malfunctioned.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:38 PM

343 posts, read 353,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Nah, that's an excellent way to get yourself ripped to shreds. Why didn't a citizen call 911?
Probably because they were staying far away from the police car hoping to avoid harrasment. Didn't even see the dog.
Most people aren't going to stroll right next to a cop car and peek in the back window.
It's unfortunate that police have created such a command and fear culture around themselves. A cop could be sitting in the front seat having a heart attack, and everybody would be too busy trying to mind the law and avoid drawing attention to even notice.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:56 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
It’s really sad, and I hope that the department investigates and changes it’s procedures. Honestly, I can’t really envision K-9 patrol units that take the dog with them every time they stop and leave the vehicle. That has got to be time-consuming.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:59 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you read the article, these cars are equipped with sensors that are A. Supposed to maintain proper temp and B. Send an alarm if the car gets too hot. K9 officers are left in cars a lot duels to the nature of police work. The article said the system in this car malfunctioned.
I've reached my monthly limit of Los Angeles Times articles, but this CNN article ...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/24/us/po...eat/index.html
...states that the officer was off-duty. So 'the nature of police work' did not take this individual away from the vehicle. Also, this occurred at 'about 3:40 pm on August 14th' in Long Beach, and a glance at the weather archives shows a high temperature that day of 89 F.

It seems to me that on a hot summer's day when you're off-duty, Fido should never be left in a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Honestly, I can’t really envision K-9 patrol units that take the dog with them every time they stop and leave the vehicle. That has got to be time-consuming.
They.
Were.
Both.
Off.
Duty.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:37 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

They.
Were.
Both.
Off.
Duty.
Ok. That doesn’t change the fact that the dog was the department's property inside a vehicle that was the department's vehicle.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:52 PM

50,782 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I've reached my monthly limit of Los Angeles Times articles, but this CNN article ...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/24/us/po...eat/index.html
...states that the officer was off-duty. So 'the nature of police work' did not take this individual away from the vehicle. Also, this occurred at 'about 3:40 pm on August 14th' in Long Beach, and a glance at the weather archives shows a high temperature that day of 89 F.

It seems to me that on a hot summer's day when you're off-duty, Fido should never be left in a vehicle.

They.
Were.
Both.
Off.
Duty.
He still was using the K-9 unit car. This is from the LA Times link:

“Long Beach police public information officer Arantxa Chavarria said in a statement. “Our K-9 vehicles are outfitted with fail-safe equipment that is meant to generate an alert. At this time, we believe this alert may not have been working.”

Chavarria said the equipment includes a heat-controller system that uses a cellphone app to signal when the vehicle is getting too warm. Another mechanism provides a “manual button that only shuts down the system when activated by the handler,” she said.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events