U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 10:10 AM

7,900 posts, read 3,097,408 times

Advertisements

There’s a distinct difference, if you’ve witnessed somebody high on Flakka it isn’t logical to picture them determinedly killing three people and a dog with a sledgehammer, repeatedly operating a rifle, escaping from police. They wouldn’t be able to swing a sledgehammer more than once and will probably just knock themselves out, unable to even escape the driveway. No mention of street drugs in the stories, just mental illness.

Last edited by RbccL; 08-30-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 10:37 AM

10,100 posts, read 5,617,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
Quick trial, then execute this monster.

If that is your conclusion, then why bother to even have a trial?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-30-2019 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 AM

13,911 posts, read 19,006,598 times
This country has a huge problem and when our powers that be so to speak took away the electric chair criminals lost all fear of what would happen to them . I wish they would bring back sparky and let joe q. citizen pull the switch . I got no problem pulling the switch on rapists and baby killers and people who just murder for the high of it . Well I say let us give them the real high ,100 thousand volts going through them . Im sick of these people who just cant get over anger and murder someone because mommy did not feed them what they wanted .

Old 08-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This country has a huge problem and when our powers that be so to speak took away the electric chair criminals lost all fear of what would happen to them . I wish they would bring back sparky and let joe q. citizen pull the switch . I got no problem pulling the switch on rapists and baby killers and people who just murder for the high of it . Well I say let us give them the real high ,100 thousand volts going through them . Im sick of these people who just cant get over anger and murder someone because mommy did not feed them what they wanted .

Do you have a problem with increasing the ante on the victim?

Rape is non death penalty crime but we make it one, then what motivation does the rapist have to keep his victim alive. Might as well kill the victim and remove a potential witness for if the penalty for rape is the same as it is for murder, what difference does it make? They can only execute the criminal once.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:19 AM

13,806 posts, read 12,896,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Do you have a problem with increasing the ante on the victim?

Rape is non death penalty crime but we make it one, then what motivation does the rapist have to keep his victim alive. Might as well kill the victim and remove a potential witness for if the penalty for rape is the same as it is for murder, what difference does it make? They can only execute the criminal once.
I don't think a person who is capable of raping and killing someone would think twice about it just because they might get the death penalty. If they were worried about consequences, they wouldn't be rapists in the first place.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't think a person who is capable of raping and killing someone would think twice about it just because they might get the death penalty. If they were worried about consequences, they wouldn't be rapists in the first place.

That's not the point.

The point is that by making rape a death penalty crime, "society" is compelling the rapist to kill the victim. If it is not a death penalty crime, then they may not because that sword is not hanging over their head.

Consider carefully what changing the penalty for the want of vengeance or deterrence against the criminal might do to their victims.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:48 AM

21,341 posts, read 16,990,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

It doesnt have one thing to do with the death penalty. Countless studies ahve proven time and again the death penalty is not a deterrent. Furthermore, we DO still have the death penalty, the way they do it has not bearing whatsoever on anything in terms of crime prevention. This guy was out of his mind insane or on drugs., he wasn't thinking about any consequences period. it's not like a robbery where the person decides "Hmmm, should I do this or not?" in any conscious way. Furthermore, if you go back to the decades when we still had the chair, the murder rate was higher than it is now.

What I find so ironic is if this were a black man he'd have been shot before he got 20 feet.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-30-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's not the point.

The point is that by making rape a death penalty crime, "society" is compelling the rapist to kill the victim. If it is not a death penalty crime, then they may not because that sword is not hanging over their head.

Consider carefully what changing the penalty for the want of vengeance or deterrence against the criminal might do to their victims.

This reminds me of something I heard about China. They say if you severely injure someone, you're responsible to take care of them financially. This isn't the case if they die. So I read that when people accidentally hit pedestrians (not uncommon, lots of people and cars in the cities) they will actually back up and run over them again, because it's better for them of the person is dead than injured.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 12,896,619 times
Quote:
That's not the point.

I don't agree. I don't believe that criminals are thinking about the death penalty when they're committing crimes.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't agree. I don't believe that criminals are thinking about the death penalty when they're committing crimes.
I think people who plan crimes do, when debating killing the victim or leaving a witness. People committing violent acts impulsively like the guy in this story don’t but there are rapists who plan their crimes and try not to get caught. If you can get the death penalty for rape or for murder, seems to me it’d be in the rapists interests to just kill the victim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events