U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:22 AM

23,107 posts, read 19,537,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The way it's administered today of course its not a deterent, it has no teeth. Back in the days of the electric chair, who knows if it was a deterent - it's impossible to prove that some murderers held back because of it. Going on common sense, if the death penalty were much quicker and much more painful, it would make at least a few of these monsters think twice.
But again, this is an issue that's impossible to prove either way. One thing that would definitely improve with a quicker and more frequent death penalty sentences is less trash to feed and take care of for society to pay for. That reason alone is good enough for me. I find it absolutely APPALLING that people like James Holmes and Dennis Rader get free health care for life while over 50 million Americans have no health insurance. Anyone who thinks that makes any sense fits right into this idiotic society.
Bring back hanging. Implement beheadings. Adopt Sharia laws. Think those might put fear into criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 643,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Bring back hanging. Implement beheadings. Adopt Sharia laws. Think those might put fear into criminals?
You lack reading comprehension skills.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:11 AM

13,919 posts, read 19,019,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The way it's administered today of course its not a deterent, it has no teeth. Back in the days of the electric chair, who knows if it was a deterent - it's impossible to prove that some murderers held back because of it. Going on common sense, if the death penalty were much quicker and much more painful, it would make at least a few of these monsters think twice.
But again, this is an issue that's impossible to prove either way. One thing that would definitely improve with a quicker and more frequent death penalty sentences is less trash to feed and take care of for society to pay for. That reason alone is good enough for me. I find it absolutely APPALLING that people like James Holmes and Dennis Rader get free health care for life while over 50 million Americans have no health insurance. Anyone who thinks that makes any sense fits right into this idiotic society.

Amen and Amen ...I gotta say I am with you 100% . why should our taxes be used to pay for these monsters to get free housing , free healthcare and etc why of course I agree with you about they just stick a needle in their arm and they get to go to sleep . sorry no . I myself think they should face the same punishment they gave their victim or victims .

Old 09-01-2019, 08:26 AM

5,693 posts, read 2,469,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Kid should have been locked up in a mental institution.
How heartless! Doncha know we hardly have those anymore because they are cruelllllllll.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:27 AM

10,854 posts, read 4,404,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
We hardly have those anymore because they are cruelllllllll.
Well, they were. Horrifically cruel.

It seems they don't HAVE to be, it was just the mental health care at the time was devoid of empathy.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:32 AM

21,373 posts, read 17,010,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
How heartless! Doncha know we hardly have those anymore because they are cruelllllllll.
No, we hardly have them anymore because they are expensive, and Reagan was trying to reduce social service costs.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:38 AM

5,693 posts, read 2,469,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, they were. Horrifically cruel.

It seems they don't HAVE to be, it was just the mental health care at the time was devoid of empathy.
Well, dudes in this category of crazy deserve ZERO sympathy so it would have been a WIN in my book.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No, we hardly have them anymore because they are expensive, and Reagan was trying to reduce social service costs.
In Texas, they were closed from the Lelz Lawsuit, filed by the family of John Lelz, which required social services to serve the mentally ill/intellectually disabled in the "least restrictive environment", meaning, if possible they should have community based services and not be warehoused.

I don't know why we don't have both, but maybe you're right - it's too expensive to provide institutionalized care for just a few, while providing community based services for most.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:08 AM

21,373 posts, read 17,010,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In Texas, they were closed from the Lelz Lawsuit, filed by the family of John Lelz, which required social services to serve the mentally ill/intellectually disabled in the "least restrictive environment", meaning, if possible they should have community based services and not be warehoused.

I don't know why we don't have both, but maybe you're right - it's too expensive to provide institutionalized care for just a few, while providing community based services for most.
John Lelz (I had to look it up) was not mentally ill he was developmentally disabled. I don’t think you can use a slash and try to make them similar. He would have been in a facility for intellectually handicapped people, not a mental hospital. Lelz would not have been in a psychiatric hospital in modern times. The lawsuit addressed only institutions for intellectually disabled people it had nothing to do with psychiatric hospitals.

https://sites.psu.edu/psy533wheeler/...omment-page-1/

Old 09-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
John Lelz (I had to look it up) was not mentally ill he was developmentally disabled. I don’t think you can use a slash and try to make them similar. He would have been in a facility for intellectually handicapped people, not a mental hospital. Lelz would not have been in a psychiatric hospital in modern times. The lawsuit addressed only institutions for intellectually disabled people it had nothing to do with psychiatric hospitals.

https://sites.psu.edu/psy533wheeler/...omment-page-1/
In Texas, the facilities are run by MHMR, which is Mental Health/Mental Retardation, so both populations were affected by the Lelz lawsuit.

So there was the state school (for those with Mental Retardation, as it was called) and the state hospital, for people with mental illness.

Both facilities were destined to close due to the lawsuit, although one of them (I think the hospital?) still has a few, maybe 3, patients so they remain open until those patients pass on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events