Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:11 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,589,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I don't understand people who kill themselves doing this sort of thing. What a waste.
Someone can die driving a honda to work at a desk job, a real waste. Risk is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:26 AM

18,364 posts, read 31,451,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Someone can die driving a honda to work at a desk job, a real waste. Risk is in the eye of the beholder.

i have a honda and im sitting safely at my desk now.

she isnt

Old 08-29-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

she isnt
That in no way negates what I typed.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:23 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,810 times
Quote:
Such a silly argument. The odds of dying on your way to work is a tiny fraction of those driving 400 mph+ across a dry lake bed. Also, driving to work is a necessity to make money to live, while going for a land speed record is nothing but a huge waste of money thrill seek.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,014,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Such a silly argument. The odds of dying on your way to work is a tiny fraction of those driving 400 mph+ across a dry lake bed. Also, driving to work is a necessity to make money to live, while going for a land speed record is nothing but a huge waste of money thrill seek.
She was making money off of it, wasn't she?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Tens of thousands of people die, just driving anywhere, every year in th e US alone.
Risk isn't for you, that's fine, but there are people who actually do amazing things, that require risk, with their lives.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.
So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Old 08-29-2019, 09:57 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,810 times
Quote:
Tens of thousands of people die, just driving anywhere, every year in th e US alone.
Risk isn't for you, that's fine, but there are people who actually do amazing things, that require risk, with their lives.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.
So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
Yeah, yeah, yeah. She already held the record, sorry I don't see any point in her decision to risk her life to break it again. It would probably have held for a very long time - how many women are crazy enough to do this AND have access to enough funds to build a 50,000+ hp car?

Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. She already held the record, sorry I don't see any point in her decision to risk her life to break it again. It would probably have held for a very long time - how many women are crazy enough to do this AND have access to enough funds to build a 50,000+ hp car?
That's your point of view, you are welcome to it, and it does nothing to diminish those who actually do amazing things in this world.
Live well.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM

68,279 posts, read 54,035,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

she isnt

And you or anyone else on this earth have NO guarantee about 5 minutes from now.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 AM

68,279 posts, read 54,035,967 times
Quote:

And what's to say it isn't a lack of vision rather than her desire to go faster that's upsetting you? Read some history, the desire to go faster, higher, deeper, etc. has been present in mankind since records have been kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events