U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

58,393 posts, read 41,380,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. She already held the record, sorry I don't see any point in her decision to risk her life to break it again. It would probably have held for a very long time - how many women are crazy enough to do this AND have access to enough funds to build a 50,000+ hp car?

And what's to say it isn't a lack of vision rather than her desire to go faster that's upsetting you? Read some history, the desire to go faster, higher, deeper, etc. has been present in mankind since records have been kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

3,222 posts, read 990,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And you or anyone else on this earth have NO guarantee about 5 minutes from now.
Agreed.
One of my favorite sayings from my grandmother, born in 1901, was "no one is promised tomorrow".

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

2,169 posts, read 631,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And what's to say it isn't a lack of vision rather than her desire to go faster that's upsetting you?
I'm not upset in the least, just find it a bit ridiculous the risks some people are willing to take to ease the boredom of life.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm not upset in the least, just find it a bit ridiculous the risks some people are willing to take to ease the boredom of life.
"The boredom of life", Is that a common phrase that I am unaware of? I dont recall many of my years ever being "boring".

Some people live adventurously, it's in their nature. Being dismissive because you do not, says more about the critic than the critics targets.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
"The boredom of life", Is that a common phrase that I am unaware of? I dont recall many of my years ever being "boring".

Some people live adventurously, it's in their nature. Being dismissive because you do not, says more about the critic than the critics targets.
I used to ride my motorcycle through the canyons like an absolute idiot. For years. All of these sorts of stupid activities do nothing more than ease the boredom of life. If you think there's some higher purpose then that's your right to do so, but there's not. It's not like any of it really matters anyway, we all die just a matter of when and how. I'd have to say that dying in your 30s is sub-optimal, but that's just me - some people want to die before ever seeing 40.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I used to ride my motorcycle through the canyons like an absolute idiot. For years. All of these sorts of stupid activities do nothing more than ease the boredom of life. If you think there's some higher purpose then that's your right to do so, but there's not.
Riding a motorcycle, being an "absolute idiot", and "stupid activities" don't equate to anything remotely near the topic at hand.
That is your personal perception, each is shaped by our own views, those are yours only.

I have no clue about your meaning of "higher purpose" . But I do know why people choose growth over safe and dreams over fear, and I know to respect it, even when I disagree.

"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction"

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Riding a motorcycle, being an "absolute idiot", and "stupid activities" don't equate to anything remotely near the topic at hand.
That is your personal perception, each is shaped by our own views, those are yours only.

I have no clue about your meaning of "higher purpose" . But I do know why people choose growth over safe and dreams over fear, and I know to respect it, even when I disagree.

"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction"
Ok, driving a car 400+mph across a dried up lake to break your own record isn't stupid, it's genius. You win.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

581 posts, read 1,326,403 times
I remember her from an early episode of Overhaulin with Chip Foose. Then she moved on to Powernation TV, as a fabricator on the 4X4 show. Then she filled in on Mythbusters. She was an incredible fabricator, such a rarity for a female to go into this field. She was fun to follow on Instagram and other social media outlets.

She died doing what she loved.
RIP

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

18,988 posts, read 9,253,890 times
Quote:
Ok, driving a car 400+mph across a dried up lake to break your own record isn't stupid, it's genius. You win.
That's a tough call, because we are all different. We don't know what motivated her, but she was obviously motivated by risk, accomplishment and perhaps an adrenaline junky. My initial impression was that yes, it was too big a risk for the potential reward of beating her own record. Obviously, having done it before, she may have though she mitigated most of the risks to an acceptable level, and that made it worth it.

She potentially gave up 40 - 50 years of additional life. That is one way of looking at it, the other is when it is your time, it is your time, and live how you want to.

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

4,337 posts, read 1,125,272 times
I definitely had a lil crush on her.

I didn't know she was from my neighboring SD.

What a horrible way to go. Hopefully she didn't suffer any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events