U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

10,585 posts, read 12,524,651 times

Advertisements

I heard about a supply mission flown to Marsh Harbor this week. Robbed at gunpoint of the supplies by Haitians on the runway!

Bahamas is a "no gun" country. Residents can have shotguns for hunting (hunting what?). If this is happening then I would expect a slow/no recovery. Bahamians HATE the refugee Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Watch this video at the 50 second mark, she is a lifelong resident of the Abacos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=i1UkvRkz0SI

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

3,878 posts, read 3,222,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I heard about a supply mission flown to Marsh Harbor this week. Robbed at gunpoint of the supplies by Haitians on the runway!

Bahamas is a "no gun" country. Residents can have shotguns for hunting (hunting what?). If this is happening then I would expect a slow/no recovery. Bahamians HATE the refugee Haitians.
I wasn't aware that the runway in Marsh had reopened. When did this supposedly happen?
As of this morning Treasure Cay and Sandy Point runways are open but Marsh is reported as still closed.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

3,878 posts, read 3,222,528 times
For those that would like to donate things instead of money, you can have stuff shipped to a US location that will then get shipped en masse. This is specifically for Elbow Cay.

If anyone wants to donate goods (first aid kits, diapers, formula,wipes,tents,tarps, chainsaws, generators, flashlights, batteries, canned goods, granola bars..etc.) please feel free to drop off, AMAZON, mail to;

Abaco Relief
HTVFR
2633 Lantana Road
Hangar 214
Lantana FL 33462

This is Hope Town, Elbow Cay specific. Got stuff around your house that these people could use? Box it up and send it. Everything is appreciated.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

2,667 posts, read 703,340 times
Quote:
1mm donations are a joke for BILLION dollar cruise companies that exploit these poor nations.
Tell me - what is this "exploit" to which you refer? Please be specific.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Tell me - what is this "exploit" to which you refer? Please be specific.
Exploit: make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

How about reef damage due to dredging to get a cruise ship in:
Pictures 'show silt damage caused by Bimini ferry' | The Tribune

Then google their private islands: they buy them and redevelop them as a tacky drop off point for tourists totally bypassing the locals

Ever been to Nassau? Do you really think that water was originally deep enough for those 10+ story ships?

Ever been to an island in the Bahamas not visited by a cruise ship? Hint: it is a totally different experience and once you go you will never want to go on a cruise again.

Specific enough?

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Mass evacuations to where, exactly?
While total evacuations are not logistically feasible, appropriate assistance from the other CARICOM nations could have moved perhaps 50,000 souls. That's a sizeable number given The Bahamas population is about 400,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The Bahamas are an independent country (they became independent from the UK in 1973). No other country is going to be required to let the residents of the Bahamas in.
The Bahamas became an independent Commonwealth Realm in 1973 with Elizabeth II as its Queen. It's navy is the Royal Bahama Defense Force.

The Bahamas' releationship with the UK can be a bit confusing to those of us in the USA, as it entails political concepts we don't use.

The Bahamas is a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations:
The Commonwealth of Nations, normally known as the Commonwealth, is a political association of 53 member states, nearly all of them former territories of the British Empire. The chief institutions of the organisation are the Commonwealth Secretariat, which focuses on intergovernmental aspects, and the Commonwealth Foundation, which focuses on non-governmental relations between member states.
The Bahamas is ALSO a Commonwealth Relm:
A Commonwealth realm is a sovereign state in which Queen Elizabeth II is the reigning constitutional monarch and head of state. Each realm functions as an independent co-equal kingdom from the other realms.
The Monarchy of the Bahamas is a system of government in which a hereditary monarch is the sovereign of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas. The current monarch and Head of State is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth" who has reigned since the country became independent on 10 July 1973. The Bahamas share the Sovereign with the other Commonwealth Realms. The Queen does not personally reside in the islands, and most of her constitutional roles are therefore delegated to her representative in the country, the Governor-General of the Bahamas. Royal succession is governed by the English Act of Settlement of 1701, as amended by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, with the latter statute reflecting the Perth Agreement, to which the Bahamas government acceded. The two acts are part of constitutional law.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; Yesterday at 10:09 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

14,605 posts, read 8,064,452 times
Freeport has a special place in my heart. We had our honeymoon there and we used to go back every 5 years. It was sad to see the resort go down hill and ultimately close because of one hurricane. We still went back for our 20th anniversary and the security guard took us on a little tour. A tree was still down in the garden where we would go to take our picture with every visit. That was not with a cat 5 hurricane hoovering for 36 hours. I imagine it's all gone now. I imagine the trees are all gone as well. My heart goes out to the people. They were always friendly and nice. I loved Freeport and will visit again some day. They will need tourist dollars now more than ever.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Evacuations of people with money is easy.
Leaving aside the logistics, remember that The Bahamas is the 3rd wealthiest nation in The Americas, after the USA and Canada, as measured in GDP per capita.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Exploit: make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
That sounds like a good thing.

Quote:
How about reef damage due to dredging to get a cruise ship in:
Pictures 'show silt damage caused by Bimini ferry' | The Tribune
The above is performed with appropriate permits from and overseen by the numerous governmental entities regulating that activity.

Quote:

Specific enough?
Pretty much what I thought. Emotion rather than economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events