U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

10,586 posts, read 12,524,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Leaving aside the logistics, remember that The Bahamas is the 3rd wealthiest nation in The Americas, after the USA and Canada, as measured in GDP per capita.
Got a link to support that?

What is their #1 source of income? Tourism, so do you foresee a future dip in their income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

10,893 posts, read 4,415,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Leaving aside the logistics, remember that The Bahamas is the 3rd wealthiest nation in The Americas, after the USA and Canada, as measured in GDP per capita.
I wouldn't equate "gross domestic product" with "average salary".

The amount of money that comes in through tourism into the pockets of resort owners really has nothing to do with whether the people on the island are wealthy and have means to escape a hurricane.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

1,285 posts, read 470,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1mm donations are a joke for BILLION dollar cruise companies that exploit these poor nations. The locals taking donations......likely it will end up in a few peoples pockets.

Long term redevelopment needs to happen, if the money doesn't pour back into the area it will end up just like Haiti. It will be tough to justify a rebuild of a vacation home if the rest of the island is not rebuilt. I'd bet most people will sit on the land, do nothing.
Sadly, quite the opposite is necessary.
Who in their right mind can justify squandering billions on a sandbar in the age of rising temps and uncertain weather events?
And Haiti, which is but partially at sea level, beckons to no one to 'develop' it.

I see no happy future for these places.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; Yesterday at 02:28 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

7,993 posts, read 4,524,423 times
Looks like they're all coming here (including the looting Haitian refugees):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...PIyikA-58JqlyM

Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

9,079 posts, read 7,876,534 times
I can't imagine what will happen there except a lot will go elsewhere. How do you start pretty much from scratch for 100's of thousands of people?

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

4,071 posts, read 3,295,176 times
Quote:
Exploit: make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

How about reef damage due to dredging to get a cruise ship in:
Pictures 'show silt damage caused by Bimini ferry' | The Tribune

Then google their private islands: they buy them and redevelop them as a tacky drop off point for tourists totally bypassing the locals

Ever been to Nassau? Do you really think that water was originally deep enough for those 10+ story ships?

Ever been to an island in the Bahamas not visited by a cruise ship? Hint: it is a totally different experience and once you go you will never want to go on a cruise again.

Specific enough?
How much money do you think the locals derive from the cruise ships? Oh wait, I found it:

Tourism alone provides an estimated 51% of the gross domestic product (GDP) and employs about half the Bahamian workforce. In 2016, over 3 million tourists visited the Bahamas, most of whom are from the United States and Canada.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

4,071 posts, read 3,295,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Looks like they're all coming here (including the looting Haitian refugees):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...PIyikA-58JqlyM
Pretty sure a lot of them will not have the proper documentation to just board a boat and come over here.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

7,704 posts, read 8,561,436 times
Quote:
I heard about a supply mission flown to Marsh Harbor this week. Robbed at gunpoint of the supplies by Haitians on the runway!

Bahamas is a "no gun" country. Residents can have shotguns for hunting (hunting what?). If this is happening then I would expect a slow/no recovery. Bahamians HATE the refugee Haitians.
Bahamian government says those reports are untrue, in fact they said things are so safe and orderly that the British Army troops, Royal Marines, and Royal Navy sailors are not carrying weapons with them. Now personally that sounds wishy-washy to me. After Hurricane Irma and Maria I recall seeing pictures of Royal Marines from the Fleet Protection Group walking around Jost Van Dyke with their M4 carbines ... and that was in a British territory no less.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

2,671 posts, read 703,340 times
Quote:
Got a link to support that?
Sure.

According to the International Monetary Fund, The Bahamas is the 26th wealthiest nation in the world ranked by GDP per capita, nestled right between Italy and Brunei. As I said before, The Bahamas is 3rd in The Americas behind the United States (8th in the world) and Canada (18th in the world). So it is USA, Canada & The Bahamas. Next from The Americas is St. Kitts and Nevis (also known as the Federation of Saint Christopher and Nevis), coming in at 43rd in the world and then Barbados at 45th in the world.

The United Nations uses a different methodology. According to the UN, among The Americas, the ranking is USA (9th in the world) then Canada (19th in the world), then The Bahamas (30th) which is nestled between South Korea and Malta. Next from The Americas is St. Kitts and Nevis (45) and Barbados (46)

Astonishingly, The World Bank's list of countries ranked by GDP per capita does not list The Bahamas. It is a scrivening error on their part, of course.

The above 3 lists (IMF, UN, World Bank) are listed on the following Wikipedia page. Note you can sort each of the lists by clicking the up and down arrows on the web page here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al)_per_capita

A somewhat different way to look at wealth of a nation is GDP (PPP) per capita, where PPP is short for "purchase power parity." PPP uses some statistical techniques to adjust for fluctuations in exchange rates and other such things that might obscure the issues. Not everyone prefers PPP. Some prefer nominal listed above.

Using GDP (PPP) per capita, according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF):

USA (10th in the world)
Canada (21st in the world)
The Bahamas (40th in the world)
Trinidad & Tobago (41st in the world)
St. Kitts and Nevis (48th in the world).

According to The World Bank:

USA (11th in the world)
Canada (22nd in the world)
Trinidad & Tobago (41st in the world)
The Bahamas (42nd in the world)
St. Kitts and Nevis (50th in the world)

According to the United Nations (UN):

USA (13th in the world)
Canada (24th in the world)
Trinidad & Tobago (44th in the world)
St. Kitts and Nevis (53rd in the world)
Antigua and Barbuda (55th in the world)
The Bahamas (57th in the world)

Again, not everyone prefers to use PPP because of its statistical techniques. Here is the link to data on GDP (PPP) Per Capita:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

2,671 posts, read 703,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wouldn't equate "gross domestic product" with "average salary".
Me neither.

My point is The Bahamas, as a country, is not poor the way, say, the Central African Republic or The Congo are poor.

The Bahamas as a country has some deep financial resources to do some big things to recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events