U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM

7,104 posts, read 3,935,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Very little information, and a few early videos. Apparently Dorian will pound the bahamas for the next day or so at a category 5. Headed for Freeport.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...6?icid=related
Horrible situation. Maybe many had a chance to leave the islands. They are pretty exposed out there. Surely they are experienced at handling this sort of thing? They have to know this will happen. Hawaii, too.

I wouldn't want to live on an island, exposed like that to such a threat that is sure to happen...more than once probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM

3,882 posts, read 3,224,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Me neither.

My point is The Bahamas, as a country, is not poor the way, say, the Central African Republic or The Congo are poor.

The Bahamas as a country has some deep financial resources to do some big things to recover.
The Bahamas is as corrupt as any African nation. The government is inept, wastes revenues, can't keep power on in the outer islands even when weather is perfect and there are communities that are as poor as most of Mogadishu. Most of the rebuilding will be done by outsiders. If left to the government it will never get done.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

1,105 posts, read 673,042 times
Dumb question here: who "owns" the Bahama's?
And is the USA sending Red Cross (or any relief) down there.
When I peeked at the Weather channel Wednesday the anchorman just sort of shrugged it off as oh those poor people.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

57,255 posts, read 55,503,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I saw footage of people literally floating in the flood waters, being carried away by the current, and I am confused. Were residents of the islands not given the opportunity to evacuate beforehand? If so, did they not avail themselves of it? Were there no shelters available or none at a high enough elevation? What exactly was the plan here? Obviously they've had hurricanes before, and this one was predicted very far in advance; enough so to either leave or secure a safe refuge from it. So what and where was the failure?
A "high-enough elevation"? On Grand Bahama Island? It's like a pancake.

ETA: Just looked it up. High point on the island is about 40 feet above sea level.

Highest point in the Bahamas altogether is on Cat Island, 207 feet.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

7,995 posts, read 4,526,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A "high-enough elevation"? On Grand Bahama Island? It's like a pancake.

ETA: Just looked it up. High point on the island is about 40 feet above sea level.

Highest point in the Bahamas altogether is on Cat Island, 207 feet.
I said a SHELTER at a high-enough elevation (a high-rise or built on piers, obviously).

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Pretty sure a lot of them will not have the proper documentation to just board a boat and come over here.
I'm sure they'd be classified as refugees. Including the already-refugees from Haiti.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

3,882 posts, read 3,224,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I heard about a supply mission flown to Marsh Harbor this week. Robbed at gunpoint of the supplies by Haitians on the runway!

Bahamas is a "no gun" country. Residents can have shotguns for hunting (hunting what?). If this is happening then I would expect a slow/no recovery. Bahamians HATE the refugee Haitians.
This is untrue and since you didn't respond to my first post I'm repeating it in case anyone believes it to be true. The runway at Marsh Harbour has been under water since the storm and was still so at sundown yesterday. This story is completely false as I first suspected. Please don't be spreading crazy rumors. And, by the way, the Bahamians don't hate the Haitians. I'm sure some do as there are haters in every country but for the most part they are accepted and contribute much needed labor in Marsh Harbour and outer islands of Abaco. The Haitians I know in Marsh and are kind, hard-working people whose already hard life has been destroyed and deserve any help that can be sent their way.

Please consider contributing anything you can to responsible relief organizations of which there are several.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
This is untrue and since you didn't respond to my first post I'm repeating it in case anyone believes it to be true. The runway at Marsh Harbour has been under water since the storm and was still so at sundown yesterday. This story is completely false as I first suspected. Please don't be spreading crazy rumors. And, by the way, the Bahamians don't hate the Haitians. I'm sure some do as there are haters in every country but for the most part they are accepted and contribute much needed labor in Marsh Harbour and outer islands of Abaco. The Haitians I know in Marsh and are kind, hard-working people whose already hard life has been destroyed and deserve any help that can be sent their way.

Please consider contributing anything you can to responsible relief organizations of which there are several.
Actually...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...rcXUVElciz1Tgc

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

2,671 posts, read 706,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The Bahamas is as corrupt as any African nation. The government is inept, wastes revenues, can't keep power on in the outer islands even when weather is perfect and there are communities that are as poor as most of Mogadishu. Most of the rebuilding will be done by outsiders. If left to the government it will never get done.
On the list of corrupt countries, sorted from least-corrupt to most-corrupt, the 10 least corrupt countries are Denmark, New Zealand, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Singapore, Norway, The Netherlands, Canada and Luxembourg.

The United States comes in at #22 least corrupt and The Bahamas comes in at #29 least corrupt, nestled between Chile and Portugal.

The 20 most corrupt nations are (from worst in the world working your way up) Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, North Korea, Yemen, Sudan, Afghanistan, Libya, Burundi, Venezuela, Iraq, Angola, Republic of the Congo, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Haiti, Cambodia, Turkmenistan, Zimbabwe, and Uzbekistan.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

14,004 posts, read 8,800,374 times
When the weather cleared there were people who had already not eaten for nearly 2 days.
This is gonna get bad, very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events