U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 09:25 AM

10,586 posts, read 12,529,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
This is untrue and since you didn't respond to my first post I'm repeating it in case anyone believes it to be true. The runway at Marsh Harbour has been under water since the storm and was still so at sundown yesterday. This story is completely false as I first suspected. Please don't be spreading crazy rumors. And, by the way, the Bahamians don't hate the Haitians. I'm sure some do as there are haters in every country but for the most part they are accepted and contribute much needed labor in Marsh Harbour and outer islands of Abaco. The Haitians I know in Marsh and are kind, hard-working people whose already hard life has been destroyed and deserve any help that can be sent their way.

Please consider contributing anything you can to responsible relief organizations of which there are several.
It is 100% true....... it happened Tuesday or Wednesday as I was told the story early Thursday morning by the person organizing the supplies. If you don't believe me, I could care less but the Bahamians do resent the refugee Haitians.

Did you not see the youtube video from Bahamas Press where the resident repeated the same issues? That was probably false because you weren't there to see it first hand?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 09:31 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on

“People are desperate,” said Travis Kelly, a 33-year-old boat captain.

“There’s a fleet of 100 fishing boats, wrecked, on the streets,” Kelly said. The water supply is contaminated with gasoline and feces.

Kelly said the apartment where he has been staying since his house was destroyed was robbed on Tuesday. Stolen, he said, were his cellphone, batteries, food, water.

His feet were cut and infected from days in flooded streets.

He said the community also pulled together, sharing food, water and shelter.

There’s no curfew, because there is no one here to enforce it,” he said. “We’re four days in and they are still ‘assessing the situation.’ ”

Maybe the Washington Post got it wrong also.......

Old 09-06-2019, 09:36 AM

5,249 posts, read 2,417,347 times
I hope this won't be seen as a contentious post but I'm sort of bewildered. I thought most of the native Bahamanian people were english speaking blacks but all the mainstream media outlets are interviewing white residents.

Is my perspective wrong?

Old 09-06-2019, 09:46 AM

7,995 posts, read 4,526,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is 100% true....... it happened Tuesday or Wednesday as I was told the story early Thursday morning by the person organizing the supplies. If you don't believe me, I could care less but the Bahamians do resent the refugee Haitians.

Did you not see the youtube video from Bahamas Press where the resident repeated the same issues? That was probably false because you weren't there to see it first hand?
I just reposted it, in case he missed it. That's from someone who lives there, but she probably doesn't know what she's talking about?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:37 AM

10,954 posts, read 21,608,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I hope this won't be seen as a contentious post but I'm sort of bewildered. I thought most of the native Bahamanian people were english speaking blacks but all the mainstream media outlets are interviewing white residents.

Is my perspective wrong?
I read about the island, English people started it. My son's relatives were founding families; the Lowes, Roberts, Sawyer and Curry families to name a few. I did a search on the missing site, lots of people with those last names are still missing. They're very distantly related to my son but they're still his family. His 2nd great grandparents were from there.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,667,680 times
In the past we have donated to www.wavesforwater.org
and will again this time.
The stories coming out of the Bahamas are terrifying.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:27 PM

8,294 posts, read 12,050,314 times
Quote:
I heard about a supply mission flown to Marsh Harbor this week. Robbed at gunpoint of the supplies by Haitians on the runway!

Bahamas is a "no gun" country. Residents can have shotguns for hunting (hunting what?). If this is happening then I would expect a slow/no recovery. Bahamians HATE the refugee Haitians.
Quote:

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on

“People are desperate,” said Travis Kelly, a 33-year-old boat captain.

“There’s a fleet of 100 fishing boats, wrecked, on the streets,” Kelly said. The water supply is contaminated with gasoline and feces.

Kelly said the apartment where he has been staying since his house was destroyed was robbed on Tuesday. Stolen, he said, were his cellphone, batteries, food, water.

His feet were cut and infected from days in flooded streets.

He said the community also pulled together, sharing food, water and shelter.

There’s no curfew, because there is no one here to enforce it,” he said. “We’re four days in and they are still ‘assessing the situation.’ ”

Maybe the Washington Post got it wrong also.......

Exactly how does a looter stealing things from an apartment validate your story about a supply mission being robbed at gunpoint on the runway?

I don't think there's ever been a disaster anywhere, including anywhere in the U.S., that didn't have some reprobates looting destroyed homes or businesses. That doesn't mean every farfetched story one hears is true.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Exactly how does a looter stealing things from an apartment validate your story about a supply mission being robbed at gunpoint on the runway?

I don't think there's ever been a disaster anywhere, including anywhere in the U.S., that didn't have some reprobates looting destroyed homes or businesses. That doesn't mean every farfetched story one hears is true.
MH is like 3X5miles (15 sq miles). So if 2 different news outlets report looting, do you think it is a long shot the airport is a viable target? Consider I was told the story by the person that organized/collected donations I'd say that was as close to the source as you could get in the first 48 hours after the storm passed.

I was told a boatload of supplies went to Freeport today without an issue but Freeport is on Grand Bahama 90 miles away.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:03 PM

57,266 posts, read 55,518,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Is my perspective wrong?
I noticed that, too.

Yes, Bahamians are mostly black, the descendants of slaves.

However, when I went to Grand Bahama Island 15 years ago, I remember that the population was pretty sparse and that you could see huge swaths of undeveloped land from the air but with long roads running through. I asked someone at the hotel about it, and he said that it was always a very quiet island compared to New Providence/Nassau and Paradise Island, but that a lot of people from the USA were buying land there and starting to build vacation homes, so those roads I saw were fairly new.

Fifteen years later, it seems a lot of those American land-buyers have indeed built and moved there.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:11 PM

10,418 posts, read 6,463,619 times
I saw where their government announced that all schools, except those in Abaco and Grand Bahama, are opening on Monday the 9th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events