U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:06 PM

7,666 posts, read 2,323,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
When the weather cleared there were people who had already not eaten for nearly 2 days.
This is gonna get bad, very quickly.
But everyone is collecting food and water and stuff that's been flown there already.

According to every local charity everywhere. Right?

WTH is the Red Cross in all this? A multi-billion dollar charity org and it's nowhere to be found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 PM

10,931 posts, read 4,432,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
But everyone is collecting food and water and stuff that's been flown there already.

According to every local charity everywhere. Right?

WTH is the Red Cross in all this? A multi-billion dollar charity org and it's nowhere to be found?
I watched this video today, with Anderson Cooper, and it just seemed so very hopeless.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/us/hu...day/index.html

Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 PM
KCZ

1,779 posts, read 1,029,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Dumb question here: who "owns" the Bahama's?
And is the USA sending Red Cross (or any relief) down there.
When I peeked at the Weather channel Wednesday the anchorman just sort of shrugged it off as oh those poor people.

The Bahamas is an independent nation. It was previously a colony of the UK, but gained its independence in 1973. No one "owns" it.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 PM

57,292 posts, read 55,533,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The Bahamas is an independent nation. It was previously a colony of the UK, but gained its independence in 1973. No one "owns" it.

I was talking to this older man at the hotel bar when I was in Nassau, and he said, "Our history has always been tied to yours. During the Civil War, cotton got out through the islands when the Yankees were blockading. During prohibition, liquor got into the USA through us.

Middle-class Bahamians take a weekend and go to the east coast of Florida to shop, because for some of them, it's only 50 miles away.

This idea of ties to the USA is even demonstrated by the fact that the money is interchangeable. You go to an ATM in the Bahamas, you might get a mix of US and Bahamian twenties, but it doesn't matter. $20 of their money equals $20 of our money.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:57 PM

15 posts, read 1,760 times
Me too we should all help each other out no matter which country they are from, which religion they follow or what their beliefs are. Humanity is one. God bless everybody!!! Let us hope this hurricane doesn't do any more damage.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:14 AM

76 posts, read 17,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I saw footage of people literally floating in the flood waters, being carried away by the current, and I am confused. Were residents of the islands not given the opportunity to evacuate beforehand? If so, did they not avail themselves of it? Were there no shelters available or none at a high enough elevation? What exactly was the plan here? Obviously they've had hurricanes before, and this one was predicted very far in advance; enough so to either leave or secure a safe refuge from it. So what and where was the failure?

Same thought here!

With the storm expected to be a threat to the Bahamas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, etc., there should have been international cooperation to ensure that all people in areas below sea level are evacuated!

No exceptions!

Like Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, and other areas, there are many impoverished people that reside away from the ritzy hotels and idyllic beaches.

For the most part, these are descendants of former slaves who are marginalized, relatively un-educated and subsist on very little money.

Note, in many inner cities in the United States, it is the same dynamic to a certain extent. Yes, there has been tremendous progress made in some sectors but more progress is needed.

A lot of people appear to be callous and to not really care about these individuals.

As the impact of climate change is expected to increase, there will be opportunities again to unconditionally assist people who will be in need.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 AM

76 posts, read 17,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Dumb question here: who "owns" the Bahama's?
And is the USA sending Red Cross (or any relief) down there.
When I peeked at the Weather channel Wednesday the anchorman just sort of shrugged it off as oh those poor people.
Just like any country, the wealthy elites "owns the Bahamas!"

Although, the Bahamas is predominantly black, maybe 85% to 90%, economic wealth appears to be concentrated in the hands of the families that once owned the shops along Bay Street or those families that either control the shipping and distribution of imported goods or who own and manage the financial institutions, etc.

Residents in neighborhoods such as Fox Hill, etc. are inhabited by relatively poor individuals.

However, there appear to be a rising number of black middle class Bahamians who work in the government sector or jobs related to financial institutions and/or tourism.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:44 AM

3,885 posts, read 3,228,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is 100% true....... it happened Tuesday or Wednesday as I was told the story early Thursday morning by the person organizing the supplies. If you don't believe me, I could care less but the Bahamians do resent the refugee Haitians.

Did you not see the youtube video from Bahamas Press where the resident repeated the same issues? That was probably false because you weren't there to see it first hand?
Someone got the airport mixed up in your story. Unless they landed on the taxiway (entirely possible but not recommended) they didn't land at Marsh Tuesday or Wednesday. If they did land on the taxiway they should have know that the road to Marsh from the airport was impassible and their relief supplies wouldn't be able to get to town.

I know Marsh Harbour very well and know many Bahamians and Haitians. The Bahamians I know don't resent the Haitians. They work with them and employ them. Your statement should be "some Bahamians like the lady in the video" just like "some Americans" resent all immigrants.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:29 AM

10,963 posts, read 21,612,780 times
Want to leave this here since City-Data comes up on google; it's very hard to find the link using google. I was telling my son's grandmother that her husbands relatives still lived in The Bahamas but when I went to google trying to search Bahamas missing people and terms like that, I had to find the original article that linked it. Sad that more news sites aren't publicizing this great site. All you have to do is type in a last name, the missing with that last name comes up in alphabetical order. Most people are going to various Facebook groups where names are getting buried by posts.

Dorian People Search Bahamas

Old 09-07-2019, 07:45 AM

7,998 posts, read 4,531,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Smith View Post
Me too we should all help each other out no matter which country they are from, which religion they follow or what their beliefs are. Humanity is one. God bless everybody!!! Let us hope this hurricane doesn't do any more damage.
I don't think anyone is saying "don't help them," but I personally wouldn't want my donation getting into the hands of looters. How about restoring (or imposing) some law and order before millions of dollars pour into the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events