U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,571 posts, read 2,250,109 times
Reputation: 7317

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am thinking Florida, since that's the closest place; however, no one knew at that time that the storm would skirt around the edge of Florida, so that might not have been feasible.

Other than that, south of GBI to another part of the Bahamas missed by the storm?

I really don't know.
Well there you go, you answered your own question. It's simply not feasible. But even if it was, it would probably not be a good idea anyway. Airlines always stop flying well before hurricanes. So even people scheduled to leave can't leave before the hurricane. Same with cruise ships. Sending ships or planes into the path of a hurricane could lead to an even bigger disaster. And it would be impossible to transport more then a fraction of the population in such a short time.

Hurricanes are just a fact of life for people living on islands. People living their have to be prepared to ride storms out. They don't have any other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2019, 05:49 PM
 
7,682 posts, read 2,327,129 times
Reputation: 9362
Where is the Red Cross??

Anyone know?

Why aren't they helping? Instead of begging for money and blood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,314 posts, read 55,548,524 times
Reputation: 68305
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Where is the Red Cross??

Anyone know?

Why aren't they helping? Instead of begging for money and blood?
I didn't see anything posted saying they WEREN'T helping, so I did a quick search. Gratifying to see that the Red Cross and Red Crescent are working together.

https://www.redcross.org/local/flori...e-bahamas.html
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 06:25 PM
 
10,944 posts, read 4,440,113 times
Reputation: 27649
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Where is the Red Cross??

Anyone know?

Why aren't they helping? Instead of begging for money and blood?
Are you looking for some way to help out and were wondering if the Red Cross would be the place to help? I think I can find a list of reliable agencies - and send them to you privately. I don't think I can post fundraisers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,314 posts, read 55,548,524 times
Reputation: 68305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you looking for some way to help out and were wondering if the Red Cross would be the place to help? I think I can find a list of reliable agencies - and send them to you privately. I don't think I can post fundraisers here.
I think someone posted a rated charity list somewhere on this thread already.

ETA: Found it: https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...view&cpid=7485

I give through another disaster-relief charity on that list.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,533 posts, read 24,427,744 times
Reputation: 31632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well there you go, you answered your own question. It's simply not feasible. But even if it was, it would probably not be a good idea anyway. Airlines always stop flying well before hurricanes. So even people scheduled to leave can't leave before the hurricane. Same with cruise ships. Sending ships or planes into the path of a hurricane could lead to an even bigger disaster. And it would be impossible to transport more then a fraction of the population in such a short time.

Hurricanes are just a fact of life for people living on islands. People living their have to be prepared to ride storms out. They don't have any other options.
It was your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
 
77 posts, read 17,681 times
Reputation: 116
With 700 islands and cays in the Bahamas, one would probably initially think that evacuation should be to another part of the Bahamas.

However, it appears to not be a sound strategy due to the dimensions of the hurricane - over 100 miles wide, the fact that other nearby areas may have been in the expected path and that other nearby destinations may also be at or below sea level.

In essence, it comes down to the need for a natural disaster mass population evacuation plan that would require local and regional cooperation, financial resources and visionary leaders.

However, considering the trend of more nationalistic leanings by many leaders, it appears that other countries will view certain sectors of people as less desirable and impose barriers to restrict access.

For these "nationalistic leaning" leaders, absorbing 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 plus refugees from countries such as the Bahamas, Haiti, Africa, etc. would be presented as not feasible and scare tactics would be broadcast via certain media outlets stating that criminals will be among the refugees, gang members, looters,
etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
 
10,610 posts, read 12,544,724 times
Reputation: 15013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I know Marsh Harbour very well and know many Bahamians and Haitians. The Bahamians I know don't resent the Haitians. They work with them and employ them. Your statement should be "some Bahamians like the lady in the video" just like "some Americans" resent all immigrants.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...ozu-story.html

Haitians in the Bahamas are scorned and associated with illegal status, poverty, lack of education and violence. Since Hurricane Dorian, social media fueled the fires of prejudice and bias. Posts denigrating Haitians and blaming them for looting and violence have been a frequent theme.

Weird the newspaper wrote a whole article about the issue a week after I noted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
 
10,610 posts, read 12,544,724 times
Reputation: 15013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
With 700 islands and cays in the Bahamas, one would probably initially think that evacuation should be to another part of the Bahamas.

However, it appears to not be a sound strategy due to the dimensions of the hurricane - over 100 miles wide, the fact that other nearby areas may have been in the expected path and that other nearby destinations may also be at or below sea level.

In essence, it comes down to the need for a natural disaster mass population evacuation plan that would require local and regional cooperation, financial resources and visionary leaders.

However, considering the trend of more nationalistic leanings by many leaders, it appears that other countries will view certain sectors of people as less desirable and impose barriers to restrict access.

For these "nationalistic leaning" leaders, absorbing 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 plus refugees from countries such as the Bahamas, Haiti, Africa, etc. would be presented as not feasible and scare tactics would be broadcast via certain media outlets stating that criminals will be among the refugees, gang members, looters,
etc.


Ok, first consider some of the 700 islands/cays are uninhabited. Now realize these are very poor people, they are not able to simply shoot over to Nassau for the storm. They won't want to leave their homes/possessions since they knew looting would be likely. The size/direction of the storm would likely damage several areas of the Bahamas, so hopping an island over might not even escape the storm.

Nassau was further than Florida was for the people on Grand Bahama so nobody was thinking to head that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
 
Location: NJ
10,975 posts, read 21,617,705 times
Reputation: 9342
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Where is the Red Cross??

Anyone know?

Why aren't they helping? Instead of begging for money and blood?
That's what they do; beg for money and blood. Their main business is getting blood donations which they sell. I had a link the other day, will have to find it again but am not seeing it. I'll try to remember what my search terms where; whatever I'm using now isn't bringing it up. I'm finding mismanaging Haiti's donations.

It's said they should separate their blood business which will give a more accurate accounting of what donations they bring in, how much they spend of every dollar; I've read about 17 cents per dollar actually goes to relief. They also set up, bring food which I read that most of it gets put in the trash. This was coming from volunteers who saw the food waste during Sandy.

3 articles below on the mismanagement of the Red Cross with Haiti. When they got hit by a hurricane in 2016 they said not to donate to the Red cross after they didn't pull thru for the earth quake. The 2nd article goes into the mismanagement the best, actually one of their team members said there was no actual plan to rebuild.

2010 Earthquake
The Red Cross had $500 million in Haitian relief money, but it built just 6 houses
Quote:
“Five hundred million dollars in Haiti is a lot of money,” he told ProPublica. “I’m not a big mathematician, but I can make some additions. I know more or less the cost of things. Unless you don’t pay for the gasoline the same price I was paying, unless you pay people 20 times what I was paying them, unless the cost of the house you built was five times the cost I was paying, it doesn’t add up for me.”
In Search Of The Red Cross' $500 Million In Haiti Relief
Quote:
They considered the Red Cross' claim on its website and press releases: That all the money went to help 4.5 million Haitians get "back on their feet."

"No, no, not possible," Bellerive says. "We don't have that population in the area affected by the earthquake."

"You know," Boutroue chimes in, "4.5 million was 100 percent of the urban area in 2010. One hundred percent. It would mean the American Red Cross would have served entire cities of Haiti."
2016 Hurricane Matthew
Haitians are urging people not to give money to American Red Cross
Quote:
“In the coming days, many of you are going to write and ask me how you can ‘help Haiti’,” one woman said on Twitter after the hurricane, “Do not give to the American Red Cross.”

She asked people to give instead to Haitian organisations and requested people not send goods that could be sourced locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top