U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM

16,043 posts, read 12,493,860 times

Advertisements

In the heat...oh my, if there are bodies in the rubble.
I didn't even think that many could have been swept out to sea, as they said on TV.
This is such a disaster, esp being on an island!!

Yes, many relief agencies available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM

10,991 posts, read 21,627,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I didn't even think that many could have been swept out to sea, as they said on TV.

It's being said people can smell death in the air. They're trying to find them.

In the Bahamas, Official Hurricane Dorian Death Toll Rises to 45, But Newspaper Says It's in the Thousands

Quote:
On Monday, the Bahamas Press reported that observers on those two hardest hit islands say more than 3,000 people could have died in the hurricane.

Thousands of Dorian survivors desperate to evacuate wrecked Bahamas as death toll climbs to 45
Quote:
Bahamian Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands told ABC News on Sunday that it is possible some victims were washed out to sea and may never be found while many other bodies are feared buried in the rubble.

There are about 76,000 people left homeless and in need of assistance in the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama Island, the U.N. said Friday.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 PM

57,367 posts, read 55,577,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

That is awful. Brings to mind Barry Cowsill, found under a wharf months after Katrina.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:41 PM

5,578 posts, read 2,255,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It was your question.
Did you read the quote? There most certainly was a question there. I didn't have any question. To the best of my knowledge no major island has ever been evacuated due to a hurricane. Small barrier islands, yes. An island in the middle of the ocean, I don't think so. Especially not across international borders. Yet I saw multiple posters here repeatedly asking why there was no evacuation of the island. That is why I asked where would they evacuate to?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:57 PM

16,128 posts, read 13,870,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Did you read the quote? There most certainly was a question there. I didn't have any question. To the best of my knowledge no major island has ever been evacuated due to a hurricane. Small barrier islands, yes. An island in the middle of the ocean, I don't think so. Especially not across international borders. Yet I saw multiple posters here repeatedly asking why there was no evacuation of the island. That is why I asked where would they evacuate to?
They would just go to all the other islands not impacted by the storm. Not all of the Bahamas were impacted, jsut the north two islands, the rest was just fine.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM

5,578 posts, read 2,255,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
With 700 islands and cays in the Bahamas, one would probably initially think that evacuation should be to another part of the Bahamas.

However, it appears to not be a sound strategy due to the dimensions of the hurricane - over 100 miles wide, the fact that other nearby areas may have been in the expected path and that other nearby destinations may also be at or below sea level.

In essence, it comes down to the need for a natural disaster mass population evacuation plan that would require local and regional cooperation, financial resources and visionary leaders.

However, considering the trend of more nationalistic leanings by many leaders, it appears that other countries will view certain sectors of people as less desirable and impose barriers to restrict access.

For these "nationalistic leaning" leaders, absorbing 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 plus refugees from countries such as the Bahamas, Haiti, Africa, etc. would be presented as not feasible and scare tactics would be broadcast via certain media outlets stating that criminals will be among the refugees, gang members, looters,
etc.
The problem with trying to evacuate people from one island to another, is that hurricanes are unpredictable. What if they evacuate people from one island to another, and then the storm changes course and the island they evacuated to takes a direct hit? Then they would have a lot of people in temporary shelters right in the path of the storm.

The solution is to build hurricane proof homes, and shelters. It's not impossible, just expensive.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:22 PM

16,128 posts, read 13,870,629 times
Quote:
The problem with trying to evacuate people from one island to another, is that hurricanes are unpredictable. What if they evacuate people from one island to another, and then the storm changes course and the island they evacuated to takes a direct hit? Then they would have a lot of people in temporary shelters right in the path of the storm.

The solution is to build hurricane proof homes, and shelters. It's not impossible, just expensive.
They will not be able to afford hurricane proof homes, as in storm surge proof. They are expensive.

Best bet would be to have shelters that can withstand the hurricane, even the storm surge that comes. Better to just have normal use buildings double as hurricane shelters when needed, instead of having such large, specific use only buildings.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:07 PM

2,708 posts, read 718,216 times
Quote:
I keep reading these comments, there should have been an evacuation. I'm still confused. Evacuate to where?
I vote to evacuate them to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom has tremendous oil wealth to take in hundreds of thousands of refugees with nothing bu the clothing on their back. I'm sure The Kingdom would be more than willing to integrate them... oh wait; maybe not. Never mind.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:14 PM

2,708 posts, read 718,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
In essence, it comes down to the need for a natural disaster mass population evacuation plan that would require local and regional cooperation, financial resources and visionary leaders.
You've just stated the major chunk of the charter of the Royal Bahamas Defense Force and that of the CARICOM Regional Security Task Force, of which The Bahamas is a member state.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:17 PM

57,367 posts, read 55,577,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I vote to evacuate them to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom has tremendous oil wealth to take in hundreds of thousands of refugees with nothing bu the clothing on their back. I'm sure The Kingdom would be more than willing to integrate them... oh wait; maybe not. Never mind.
Little factoid I came across once. It may have been in Edward Ball's Slaves In The Family but I'm not sure. There's a mention from the 1700s about many of the Bahamian slaves being "followers of Mahomet". Nowadays Christianity dominates, but at least some of the early slaves brought Islam with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events