U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,327,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I vote to evacuate them to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom has tremendous oil wealth to take in hundreds of thousands of refugees with nothing bu the clothing on their back. I'm sure The Kingdom would be more than willing to integrate them... oh wait; maybe not. Never mind.
In addition to assuming that the Saudis would agree to that, you are assuming they would have enough aircraft, that could fly into the middle of a hurricane to pick up tens of thousands of people on next to no notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM

20,451 posts, read 19,445,827 times
Some places on this earth are just not meant to be inhabited. Long ago only a few natives lived on these islands but most who live there now were brought in as slaves from somewhere else. It's an artificial situation. All these people were never meant to live on these low lying islands with barely any way of earning a living to enable them to build decent homes or to have quality shelters from these storms.

As usual, the Red Cross doesn't really come through for them--the Red Cross has a long history of failure--I remember stories about them when I was a kid listening to the old people. As usual, there is mass confusion as to what to do, where to take them, whose responsibility this is...their government? neighboring countries? Some international agencies?

In this case, these are not just "people looking for a better life." These are honest to goodness refugees from a place where it is impossible to live and a place where they never wished to live in the first place. I'm not usually in favor of taking in the poor people of the world, but this is an exception. These people's grandparents and other ancestors were forced to go there as slaves when slaves were needed and now there is very little for them to do in the way of gainful employment. These islands have VERY little to offer as a means of making a living.

Most of the current inhabitants in the islands are descended from the slaves brought to work on the Loyalist plantations. In addition, thousands of captive Africans, who were liberated from foreign slave ships by the British navy after the abolition of the British slave trade in 1807, were resettled as free persons in the Bahamas.

Very few people lived in the Bahamas before the slaves were brought in. Slaves are no longer needed, farming is poor due to poor soils, the islands are subject to destruction by hurricanes, and today even though there are some extremely rich people, most people are extremely poor. Tourism and finance are the main sources of income and those industries are for the benefit of the few.

Since the Bahamas were owned by Britain and the British were responsible for the large slave population which ended up being useless and poverty stricken, it was at one time suggested that these unfortunate people be relocated or at least united with Canada.

In 1911, there was a short-lived movement to make the Bahamas part of Canada. Although the movement enjoyed the support of many in Nassau and from the head of Sun Life, a Canadian insurance company, the movement failed. The failure of the movement was, in part, due to the British government's opposition to uniting a predominantly Black colony with a predominantly white country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Bahamas

So, due to racism, the plan to align them with Canada was abandoned and the people were just left to fend for themselves in nearly impossible conditions.

Sooo...that's what's I've learned by reading a little bit. And I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds to me as if these refugees need a fresh new place to start over. Let the rich remain in their nice homes in the Bahamas. But these people who never asked to come here in the first place, who worked as slaves and when freed, only managed at best to salvage the timber from pirate ships or maybe some fishing and catching sea turtles--these people deserve another place to live.

I have been to Nassau and never wish to set foot there again. The tourist trade gets rich and the inhabitants live from hand to mouth. No number of trinkets any of us could buy from these poor people is really going to change anything for them. And although the British government is in a state of chaos themselves now with BREXIT, the Bahamas are a part of the commonwealth. I think it's time the British take responsibility for these islands and either relocate these people, build ultra safe housing for them, somehow extend the funds from the tourist trade to them...something. Maybe these islands were never meant to be inhabited. Maybe these islands would be fine for tourism and nothing else.

Maybe the islands could be turned into tourist resorts and the few people who want to remain there could work in the resorts. The very rich could still live there too, of course. Everyone else--relocate them somewhere better, some place where they can make lives for themselves. I love the British, but it seems that they created this mess and they should now be responsible for it. There was a drastic hurricane in 2004, now this in 2019, thousands are probably dead, many badly hurt, many have lost everything. What's going to happen? Just sit around and wait until it happens again? Donations, thoughts, prayers--great. But seriously, something drastic needs to be done here.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-10-2019 at 06:51 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 02:24 AM

84 posts, read 19,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The problem with trying to evacuate people from one island to another, is that hurricanes are unpredictable. What if they evacuate people from one island to another, and then the storm changes course and the island they evacuated to takes a direct hit? Then they would have a lot of people in temporary shelters right in the path of the storm.

The solution is to build hurricane proof homes, and shelters. It's not impossible, just expensive.

We are saying the same thing!

My point exactly! With the size of Hurricane Dorian, the evacuation of the residents from one island in the Bahamas to another island in the Bahamas or to Florida or anywhere along the Eastern coast that is within the expected path of the hurricane was not feasible.

Hence, the need for pre-planning that involves other countries that were not within the expected path.

However, due to the logistics of mass evacuating 70,000 to 100,000 people in a relatively short time, even evacuating to countries outside the expected path of the hurricane appear to not be an ideal solution.

Yes, building group housing that can withstand 200 miles per hour winds and storm surges in addition to the revision of zoning regulations (restricting the building of homes in certain areas) appear to be the most viable solution for protecting people who still desire to live in low lying areas.

Note, Hurricane Dorian could very well have had a direct hit on Nassau Bahamas or Miami Florida or Puerto Rico, etc.

There are still un-resolved issues with Haiti and Puerto Rico several months/years after hurricanes have decimated their infrastructure that many people refuse to give a second thought about!

As the impact of climate change increases, previously and currently marginalized populations will bear a disproportionate impact!

Descendants of former slaves in Haiti, Cuba, Bahamas, etc. will face increased risk of massive displacement and suffering that is preventable.

Individuals priced out of higher elevated land and relegated to the low lying sea level areas that were once highly prized and desired by others with wealth.

Environmental-based gentrification!

Old 09-10-2019, 05:34 AM

8,258 posts, read 2,439,845 times
I checked AGAIN about the Red Cross.

They just announced they will be donated $2 million for 'relief' efforts. Not a clue as to who will get that money or what it will do.

They proudly announced that they took in 64 Bahamians in a shelter in West Palm Beach.

And they continue to beg beg beg for blood.

Did you know they PROFIT from SELLING all that blood? That's why they are always begging for it. Not to help people, but to make money.

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/ne...-nears-us.html

Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 AM

10,772 posts, read 12,679,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
In the heat...oh my, if there are bodies in the rubble.
I didn't even think that many could have been swept out to sea, as they said on TV.
This is such a disaster, esp being on an island!!

Yes, many relief agencies available.
Everyone knows how bad ONE dead fish smells after a day in the sun. Now imagine a few dozen fish, lots of seaweed and a few bodies with essentially no where to get away from it.

In case you were thinking of leaving via Grand Bahama airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07bRJr2Pa8

Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 AM

57,806 posts, read 56,005,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I checked AGAIN about the Red Cross.

They just announced they will be donated $2 million for 'relief' efforts. Not a clue as to who will get that money or what it will do.

They proudly announced that they took in 64 Bahamians in a shelter in West Palm Beach.

And they continue to beg beg beg for blood.

Did you know they PROFIT from SELLING all that blood? That's why they are always begging for it. Not to help people, but to make money.

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/ne...-nears-us.html
I posted up thread (#153) a link about how the Bahamian Red Cross/Crescent is managing the situation and that the American Red Cross is supporting that. The fact that you are ignoring that information just to keep complaining about the American Red Cross kind of tells me that your concern is not about the Bahamians. You just want everybody to know the ARC sucks. Fine, but that's not really the topic here. The Bahamas is.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-10-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I posted up thread (#153) a link about how the Bahamian Red Cross/Crescent is managing the situation and that the American Red Cross is supporting that. The fact that you are ignoring that information just to keep complaining about the American Red Cross kind of tells me that your concern is not about the Bahamians. You just want everybody to know the ARC sucks. Fine, but that's not really the topic here. The Bahamas is.
I have not seen your post.

My point is really really simple. The Red Cross rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars each year. They KNEW the hurricane was approaching. Plenty of time to prepare. They could have been there as soon as it was safe. Yet ... here we still are. And they are still begging for blood. And donations. And according to the Red Cross website, the''ve only "taken in" 64 Bahamians at a shelter in West Palm Beach.

PS. I did start a thread about hurricane relief/Red Cross and it was deleted. Reason given was there was already a thread on The Bahamas. So I posted here. /shrug/

Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 PM

11,148 posts, read 21,750,802 times
Quote:
Here is that reply
Quote:
I didn't see anything posted saying they WEREN'T helping, so I did a quick search. Gratifying to see that the Red Cross and Red Crescent are working together.

https://www.redcross.org/local/flori...e-bahamas.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I have not seen your post.

My point is really really simple. The Red Cross rakes in hundreds of millions of dollars each year. They KNEW the hurricane was approaching. Plenty of time to prepare. They could have been there as soon as it was safe. Yet ... here we still are. And they are still begging for blood. And donations. And according to the Red Cross website, the''ve only "taken in" 64 Bahamians at a shelter in West Palm Beach.

PS. I did start a thread about hurricane relief/Red Cross and it was deleted. Reason given was there was already a thread on The Bahamas. So I posted here. /shrug/
I wish your thread was merged here. I had a reply typed out that I lost.

The Red Cross has not been good with large disasters like this. Their track record sucks with every disaster so far, all they want is people to see their trucks and donate blood so they can sell it. That's where they make their meat and potatoes.

Very long article but worth reading to see how they fall short with Sandy and another disaster
The Red Cross’ Secret Disaster

The newest Red Cross link

Red Cross Commits Initial $2M to Help Bahamas, Helps Evacuees Coming to U.S.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 PM

20,451 posts, read 19,445,827 times
I still wish it were possible to take these people and find them a brand new place to live, not on the Bahamas. Everything I have read just sounds horrible and hopeless. They never asked to live there anyway, they were brought there as slaves and now just to suffer and die.

This was a hurricane of epic proportions. Nothing can prepare for it, nothing can prevent it, nothing can heal it.

I, too, expect very little from the Red Cross because of what I have heard about it in the past. I wish the world could do something to get the survivors away from there and to a new place to start a life for themselves instead of just patching it back together until something like this happens again. But I guess that's just a dream. Maybe they want to go back but I don't know.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is that reply

I wish your thread was merged here. I had a reply typed out that I lost.

The Red Cross has not been good with large disasters like this. Their track record sucks with every disaster so far, all they want is people to see their trucks and donate blood so they can sell it. That's where they make their meat and potatoes.

Very long article but worth reading to see how they fall short with Sandy and another disaster
The Red Cross’ Secret Disaster

The newest Red Cross link

Red Cross Commits Initial $2M to Help Bahamas, Helps Evacuees Coming to U.S.
They also collected about $500 million in the name of "helping" Haiti. What did the Red Cross do for $500 million? it built a handful of houses. So where did the other $499,500,000 go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events