U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:12 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,327,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They also collected about $500 million in the name of "helping" Haiti. What did the Red Cross do for $500 million? it built a handful of houses. So where did the other $499,500,000 go?
What a coincidence. $500 million is exactly the salary the Red Cross pays their CEO Gail McGovern. But that is just her base salary. They need at least one more disaster to cover her benefits and bonuses.

Red Cross Statement on Inaccurate Viral Email on Charity CEO Pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM

3,959 posts, read 3,282,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What a coincidence. $500 million is exactly the salary the Red Cross pays their CEO Gail McGovern. But that is just her base salary. They need at least one more disaster to cover her benefits and bonuses.

Red Cross Statement on Inaccurate Viral Email on Charity CEO Pay
Do you really believe any CEO is paid $500,000,000? The highest paid CEO in the world in 2018 was paid $71.4 million. The CEO of the Red Cross makes a half million per year, $500,000 not a thousand times that as you claim, according to the very article that you linked.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,327,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Do you really believe any CEO is paid $500,000,000? The highest paid CEO in the world in 2018 was paid $71.4 million. The CEO of the Red Cross makes a half million per year, $500,000 not a thousand times that as you claim, according to the very article that you linked.
Thanks for the correction.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:00 AM

11,148 posts, read 21,750,802 times
It's said NEMA; the Bahamas’ National Emergency Management Agency helps the most. Here is their FB page. I finally found this - NEMA Financial Donations where they give bank info for donations. Also this page; Click to download wire instructions provided by NEMA. There is also a Locations to drop off supplies list on this page for both the US and Canada

At least 2,500 people registered as missing in the Bahamas; oil spill spreads
Quote:
Smith said the 2,500 people on a government registry for the missing had not been checked against government records of people staying in shelters or evacuated. At least 5,500 people, Smith said, had been evacuated to Nassau, where officials were adding additional tents to accommodate evacuees. He said the list could decrease as they reunite family members and as individuals who evacuated from Abaco and Grand Bahama register with social services.

He urged charities and non-governmental organizations who want to help evacuees to work directly with them, as “NEMA is focused on coordinating shelters and other support so Bahamians do not need to leave their home country.
Bahamas relief is underway. How can it avoid ‘logistical nightmares’ of disasters past?
Quote:
Turns out, getting those altruistic donations from Point A to Point B is more complicated than it seems, and often sets up stumbling blocks that may result in wasted resources. In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, aid workers and government officials warn that without care and supervision, the benevolent efforts of good Samaritans may go to waste or even be harmful to recovery.

Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis asked those who want to help “to work with reputable charities with proven records. Donate your time, talents and resources to their relief efforts and this will make a big difference.” NEMA — the Bahamas’ National Emergency Management Agency — is the best agency for volunteers to coordinate with, he said Tuesday. Established charities not on the registered list can contact NEMA at 242-376-6362 to coordinate.

Dorian People Search Bahamas looks to be the best site for missing person's stats as the government has not published their database.

There is a total of 11,584 people in the database. 7,057 people with known status, 4,495 people with unknown status. 12 people need evacuation, 4 need critical evacuation.

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-12-2019 at 06:10 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 AM

57,806 posts, read 56,005,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is that reply

I wish your thread was merged here. I had a reply typed out that I lost.

The Red Cross has not been good with large disasters like this. Their track record sucks with every disaster so far, all they want is people to see their trucks and donate blood so they can sell it. That's where they make their meat and potatoes.

Very long article but worth reading to see how they fall short with Sandy and another disaster
The Red Cross’ Secret Disaster

The newest Red Cross link

Red Cross Commits Initial $2M to Help Bahamas, Helps Evacuees Coming to U.S.
Good info. They aren't my favorite charity.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 AM

24,670 posts, read 30,824,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I vote to evacuate them to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom has tremendous oil wealth to take in hundreds of thousands of refugees with nothing bu the clothing on their back. I'm sure The Kingdom would be more than willing to integrate them... oh wait; maybe not. Never mind.
its interesting to suggest such insanity. the US government spends $1 trillion a year on murdering innocent people. well, a certain % of that is to protect america but nobody is attacking america.

i dont advocate for this but imagine if the US would divert a % of that money it spends on mass murder into spending it on actually helping people like in emergency catastrophic events. its funny because it would cause such an uproar from trumptards but in the meantime totally cool spending billions intentionally causing 500,000+ deaths in syria. intentionally causing massive amounts of innocent people to die.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:09 AM

2,854 posts, read 787,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I still wish it were possible to take these people and find them a brand new place to live, not on the Bahamas.
Their Queen, Elizabeth II, should make arrangements for them.

None should come to the USA on a permanent basis.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM

2,854 posts, read 787,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its interesting to suggest such insanity.
Sarcasm is lost on the masses.

Quote:
the US government spends $1 trillion a year on murdering innocent people.
Speaking of non-sequiturs...

Quote:
i dont advocate for this but imagine ...
So what do you advocate for? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
... trumptards ...
What's the noun for an online post that is intended to provoke an emotional response or reaction from others? Oh yeah...

Old 09-12-2019, 12:47 PM

11,148 posts, read 21,750,802 times
Quote:

Quote:
... trumptards ...

What's the noun for an online post that is intended to provoke an emotional response or reaction from others? Oh yeah...
CaptainNJ No reason to bring Trump into this and call people names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is that reply

I wish your thread was merged here. I had a reply typed out that I lost.

The Red Cross has not been good with large disasters like this. Their track record sucks with every disaster so far, all they want is people to see their trucks and donate blood so they can sell it. That's where they make their meat and potatoes.

Very long article but worth reading to see how they fall short with Sandy and another disaster
The Red Cross’ Secret Disaster

The newest Red Cross link

Red Cross Commits Initial $2M to Help Bahamas, Helps Evacuees Coming to U.S.
Good info. They aren't my favorite charity.
I enjoyed the article, very eye opening.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:48 PM

24,670 posts, read 30,824,287 times
Quote:

i understand that it was sarcasm (which is a very low end form of humor) and i responded appropriately.

nobody wants to get into what i advocate for.

yes, that term is intended to provoke an emotional response and fortunately it often does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events