U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:53 PM

10,848 posts, read 4,399,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
My parents own an air b&b in Puerto Rico and are nervous about the damages the storm will do.
Your parents should rest easy. The storm won't affect Puerto Rico. At all. For the next week, Puerto Rico's weather forecast is slightly cloudy, highs of 89.

It's all good. You might want to send your parents a map to put them at ease. ;D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:00 PM

15,996 posts, read 12,447,818 times
I couldn't tell what was the ocean and what was a street...with all the things floating...This is VERY bad.
Very very bad.
Giving $ to whomever they say is the best.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 PM

4,741 posts, read 6,771,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't feel much sympathy. Don't they know what happens there?

We all make our choices .
Exactly!

The last hurricane that went through there should have been enough of a warning for people to move to a less hurricane prone target!

Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 PM

5,870 posts, read 2,402,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I believe most of the Bahamas are populated by native people, who didn't "choose" to live there. They were born there, into this paradise, and they aren't typically wealthy. This is their home.

And they've never in the history of time weathered a storm like this. In the history of time. So in the past, this has been a good safe bet for a place to live out a glorious, if somewhat impoverished, life.

Your response is incredibly cold, scrat, and my guess is it stems from a belief that if you just believe you are wiser than people who have terrible tragedies befall them, you won't have any bad luck yourself.

:-(
I need to apologize to Bahamians. Sorry. My head was elsewhere (up my arse) There are a lot of people there who call it home because it is. I was thinking of some guy I met that was complaining about losing his house a few years ago because he built it on some tiny island at great expense.

I don't think it was in the Bahamas. It was the same hurricane that messed up Puerto Rico.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:23 PM

10,848 posts, read 4,399,716 times
Quote:
I need to apologize to Bahamians. Sorry. My head was elsewhere (up my arse) There are a lot of people there who call it home because it is. I was thinking of some guy I met that was complaining about losing his house a few years ago because he built it on some tiny island at great expense.

I don't think it was in the Bahamas. It was the same hurricane that messed up Puerto Rico.
Wow, Scrat, what a gracious statement. Nice.

I'm just sitting here, feeling so sad for people who are hunkered down, God knows where, on those beautiful islands. Prayers they survive.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM

3,355 posts, read 5,847,492 times
Quote:
I don't feel much sympathy. Don't they know what happens there?

We all make our choices .
How about the people who were born there, have spent their entire lives there and don't have the proper funding or the permission to emigrate elsewhere?

** Post-edit: I saw a more recent post of yours that qualified this. You're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Exactly!

The last hurricane that went through there should have been enough of a warning for people to move to a less hurricane prone target!
Now you're just hanging out there by yourself on another proverbial island...

Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM

10,385 posts, read 6,448,092 times
I feel bad for them too. Hopefully no deaths.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM

10,555 posts, read 8,560,619 times
At least some of the native people of the smaller islands got out before Dorian struck, to larger and presumably safer islands, via small fishing and recreational boats whose owners volunteered them as ferries. Each island of any size appears to have an official government shelter, usually inland on higher ground and constructed largely of concrete. That's where these first refugees went, so they should be fine - though facing major losses of homes, more than likely.

Bahamian law says any new buildings must withstand winds up to around 200 mph - but of course there are many older structures that don't have to comply. In addition to official shelters, many churches and schools on Abaco and Grand Bahama are being used as shelters.

It's sad that those who are at most risk are also likely to be the less well-off people who were unlikely to have gotten clear information about the strength and the destructive nature of Dorian. There are also bound to be those who foolishly (and a bit narcissistically) think they can ride it out, despite getting advance warnings.

The early videos from Abaco were heart-rending - and they were mostly taken during the eye of the storm's presence, with far worse yet to follow. Thankfully Nassau, the capitol, was largely spared which will be a huge help with governmental efforts at rescue and recovery, but the tragic losses are likely to be massive, and will probably include human loss as well as structural, etc.

Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,048,413 times
Wow. There's some cold comments in here.

Floridians can move inland out of the hurricane's way. People in the Bahama's can't. I fear the worst is in store for them.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM

2,255 posts, read 2,433,001 times
The point about Floridians is a generalization at best. What about the people that can't move, the bedridden, the elderly, the poor that have no money or transportation available to them. Some folks just can't up and move inland or to higher ground on a 24 hour notice.
Regardless of the natural event or where it strikes in the world, there are people that can't escape its consequences.
There are also people who try to help, some effectively, some not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events