U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM

4,600 posts, read 4,509,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I believe most of the Bahamas are populated by native people, who didn't "choose" to live there. They were born there, into this paradise, and they aren't typically wealthy. This is their home.

And they've never in the history of time weathered a storm like this. In the history of time. So in the past, this has been a good safe bet for a place to live out a glorious, if somewhat impoverished, life.

Your response is incredibly cold, scrat, and my guess is it stems from a belief that if you just believe you are wiser than people who have terrible tragedies befall them, you won't have any bad luck yourself.

:-(
Excellent post Clara (and I did read scrat's follow up apology, thanks scrat). I currently live on St Croix in the US Virgin Islands, and as Clara pointed out most of the natives are poor and without resources to simply move somewhere safer, or even to evacuate in a storm. Besides, most every place has natural disasters of some kind, if not hurricanes, then tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides. I have sympathy for anyone enduring such an event.

Thankfully St Croix had little damage from Dorian, but if we had been hit, I hope people wouldn't sneer at us for being here. We are here for a few years while my husband works on a huge project to bring much-needed jobs to the island (restarting an oil refinery that had employed 2000 people, until it shut down in 2012, devastating the economy here). Living in the Caribbean may sound glamorous but it really is not. To visit here is great, but to live without the clean, modern amenities we're accustomed to in the states, well, that is challenging for many of us. But we know we are doing a very good thing here.

Sorry if this got a bit off topic. Wanted to share why some people "choose" to live in a dangerous place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,585,564 times
My son is descended from a few of the founding families from the 1700's. I know some of his relatives relocated to Florida and all over the US; not sure if any of his relatives are still there. I'd imagine they would be and that they didn't all leave.

What a nightmare for people that stayed. I guess they didn't believe wind and rain would be so bad to flood the islands enough to not be able to see houses.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

10,559 posts, read 12,506,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't feel much sympathy. Don't they know what happens there?

We all make our choices .
You do realize most were born on their island, they didn't give up their office job in Kansas and move there. Very poor people that rely on tourism to keep their economy going. No tourism and suddenly they will be in the same position as Haiti.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

10,559 posts, read 12,506,665 times
This is West End, Grand Bahama. Skip the first 3 minutes (dopey vloggers). It is the tip of Grand Bahama, getting winds now but the eye is hours away. Notice how flat it is from the resort to the shoreline. It has been reported Grand Bahama airport is under 5 feet of water now. I'd guess this place is wet also. This was also the resort where John Travolta's kid died a few years back (think he hit is head or something).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDux0pzhCI

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,215,829 times
Abaco is not just a bunch of rich Americans and Bahamians. Marsh Harbour has a large population of poor Haitians who came there in hopes of a better life than they left behind in Haiti. Most of these people live in shanties and substandard housing. There is nowhere to evacuate to from Marsh Harbour, just north or south on the same island. There are sturdy government buildings in Marsh where many people went to for shelter but many of them being undocumented were afraid to take shelter at the risk of being arrested and deported. There has already been a death of a child reported with another missing. Death toll is likely to be high. This is devastating for the Haitians of Abaco.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,433,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize most were born on their island, they didn't give up their office job in Kansas and move there. Very poor people that rely on tourism to keep their economy going. No tourism and suddenly they will be in the same position as Haiti.
You do realize you should read all the responses first, right?

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

10,849 posts, read 4,399,716 times
The Nassau Guardian Facebook Page. Looks like widespread flooding, power outages, and structural damage.

https://www.facebook.com/NassauGuardian/

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

12,323 posts, read 4,207,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Very little information, and a few early videos. Apparently Dorian will pound the bahamas for the next day or so at a category 5. Headed for Freeport.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...6?icid=related
Hope everyone is in shelters and no one is hurt or injured.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

5,223 posts, read 2,408,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Hope everyone is in shelters and no one is hurt or injured.
Me too but it makes me wonder HOW? How do you you shelter-in-place for a hurricane when ALL the land is at sea-level?

I've never been there so this is not a rhetorical question. If they have enough advanced warning can they evacuate off the island to a higher land mass or is that even feasible?

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,048,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Me too but it makes me wonder HOW? How do you you shelter-in-place for a hurricane when ALL the land is at sea-level?

I've never been there so this is not a rhetorical question. If they have enough advanced warning can they evacuate off the island to a higher land mass or is that even feasible?
Good questions. Wish I had the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events