U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

14,182 posts, read 21,047,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you in a location where you can help out with sorting donated items for relief?

I think if you do that one time, that will forever turn you off of donating things rather than cash.

Even when people drop off exactly what is needed, i.e., diapers and food in cans that don't require can openers to open, the effort to sort it all and get it where it's needed is monumental.

I'm in Denver so I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

8,240 posts, read 5,892,455 times
Finally seeing video of all the devastation.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

10,393 posts, read 6,451,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Word from Elbow Cay is that Captain Jacks and Harbours Edge are gone, Lodge is mostly destroyed as is Abaco Inn. Heard that Sea Spray is gone. Historic Hopetown is changed forever. Early photos show extensive damage to every building left standing. Every wood dock is gone. US Coast Guard already has at least two boats in Marsh Harbour and USCG helicopters are landing where they can to evacuate sick and injured. Those that would like to directly help the people on the outer islands of Elbow Cay and Man-O-War should give directly to Hopetown Volunteer Fire and Rescue. Search for them and beware fake fundraising sites and links. Red Cross money will probably not get to the harder hit outer islands.
Thanks for the good information. Found https://www.facebook.com/HTVFR/ I don't do facebook, but I've gathered enough to know they are on Queen's Highway. I think a package addressed to them on Queen's Highway should arrive. Will ask at my post office.

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
KCZ

1,771 posts, read 1,023,535 times
Tonight's news photos are horrific. Just panoramic views of devastation after 30 inches of rain and a 23 ft storm surge. Fifty percent of homes damaged or completely destroyed. More than 60K people without safe drinking water. It looks worse than what Irma and Maria did to the Caribbean in 2017.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

9,490 posts, read 8,496,163 times
Send money. They need money.

Coast Guard and medical evac units are already on the ground there.

The devestation is so complete, they are now trying to evacuate the islands.

No infrastructure. Airports are under water, marinas gone, the surrounding waters are debris fields so boats can't get in, no way to get fuel.

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

16,688 posts, read 16,829,594 times
Sorry, not raising red-flags on my concern-meter..........the people of that area are probably
very used to, and prepared for, occasional weather-insanity.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sorry, not raising red-flags on my concern-meter..........the people of that area are probably
very used to, and prepared for, occasional weather-insanity.
185 mph winds parked on them for 48 hours??

Who on earth has ever prepared for that???

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

708 posts, read 605,684 times
When I think of the Bahamas I think of beautiful beaches but also the many violent attacks on white tourists by locals who commit a high level of violent crime. It never ends and that is unfortunate

Last edited by john620; Yesterday at 08:25 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

10,853 posts, read 4,404,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
185 mph winds parked on them for 48 hours??

Who on earth has ever prepared for that???
Thank you.

I'm really surprised by how many seem to think this is run of the mill tropical weather.

I'm afraid this attitude will somehow keep people from realizing how horrific this is, and donating and offering support. This isn't just typical ho hum coastal rain.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Thank you.

I'm really surprised by how many seem to think this is run of the mill tropical weather.

I'm afraid this attitude will somehow keep people from realizing how horrific this is, and donating and offering support. This isn't just typical ho hum coastal rain.
Living in Fort Lauderdale, we are ground zero for the Bahamian people for relief. Disney just donated a million dollars. Royal Caribbean donated 1.1 million. Medivac rescues started happened by our Coast Guard early this morning before the storm had finished. The yachties are moving en masse to get relief into the Bahamas.

People are really stepping up to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events