U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 PM

10,862 posts, read 4,409,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Living in Fort Lauderdale, we are ground zero for the Bahamian people for relief. Disney just donated a million dollars. Royal Caribbean donated 1.1 million. Medivac rescues started happened by our Coast Guard early this morning before the storm had finished. The yachties are moving en masse to get relief into the Bahamas.

People are really stepping up to help.
I am so heartened to hear this. Thank you for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 PM

57,218 posts, read 55,471,396 times
Quote:
Living in Fort Lauderdale, we are ground zero for the Bahamian people for relief. Disney just donated a million dollars. Royal Caribbean donated 1.1 million. Medivac rescues started happened by our Coast Guard early this morning before the storm had finished. The yachties are moving en masse to get relief into the Bahamas.

Glad to hear. I've been to the Bahamas twice. Nicest people. I hope they recover quickly.

Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM

10,935 posts, read 21,593,884 times
Quote:

I hope Disney and Royal Caribbean will donate wisely. All I see to a non profit but they don't list who. Many times they'll donate to places like Red Cross who only use some of the money in the area then they move on.

The Walt Disney Company to Donate More Than $1 Million to Relief and Recovery Efforts in The Bahamas

Royal Caribbean to donate $1 million to Bahamas relief efforts
Quote:
Royal Caribbean said they will coordinate with the Bahamian government, their non-profit partner the Pan American Development Foundation and other charities to ensure the money is utilized in the best way.

The company also said they will match every dollar of guest and employee donations to PADF up to $500,000.
Hopefully some of the local places accepting donations like that fire company will not be over whelmed by the money they take in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Thanks for the good information. Found https://www.facebook.com/HTVFR/ I don't do facebook, but I've gathered enough to know they are on Queen's Highway. I think a package addressed to them on Queen's Highway should arrive. Will ask at my post office.
I gave you their email as a rep, forgot to sign it. Email to ask for their address. I'm not finding it on google.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

4,392 posts, read 1,969,970 times
Quote:
185 mph winds parked on them for 48 hours??

Who on earth has ever prepared for that???
Cozumel, when Wilma parked over them for 60 hrs in October 2005.
Here is a picture of Cozumel, seen through the eye of Wilma.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozume...d-109920_m.jpg

We visited in January 2006. Every leaf was gone off of every tree.
Major damage everywhere you looked. All of the resorts, gone. The giant concrete pier where the cruise ships docked, gone.
The worst thing was the damage to the reefs, it was a premier dive site at the time. It'll probably take decades for them to come back.

We were booked at a small local hotel that was somewhat inland and relatively unscathed. It was quiet, very few tourists.
The people were very happy to see us because we had money to spend.

Last edited by eaton53; Yesterday at 06:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM
KCZ

1,772 posts, read 1,024,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad to hear. I've been to the Bahamas twice. Nicest people. I hope they recover quickly.

I hope so too but it seems doubtful, with 60% of homes either underwater or completely destroyed, >60K people with no food or water, and the airports and harbour areas mostly unusable. One news report this morning said they're "loading bodies onto trucks" with many more washed out to sea. https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...truction-video

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

10,580 posts, read 12,518,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
When I think of the Bahamas I think of beautiful beaches but also the many violent attacks on white tourists by locals who commit a high level of violent crime. It never ends and that is unfortunate
Many? If you remove Nassau from your itinerary (biggest city in the country) then your "crime rate" plummets. Also in many areas, the beaches are actually terrible.

I've been to big islands/small islands and never a bit of trouble. Haven't even seen a fist fight!

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

10,580 posts, read 12,518,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I hope Disney and Royal Caribbean will donate wisely. All I see to a non profit but they don't list who. Many times they'll donate to places like Red Cross who only use some of the money in the area then they move on.

The Walt Disney Company to Donate More Than $1 Million to Relief and Recovery Efforts in The Bahamas

Royal Caribbean to donate $1 million to Bahamas relief efforts

Hopefully some of the local places accepting donations like that fire company will not be over whelmed by the money they take in.
1mm donations are a joke for BILLION dollar cruise companies that exploit these poor nations. The locals taking donations......likely it will end up in a few peoples pockets.

Long term redevelopment needs to happen, if the money doesn't pour back into the area it will end up just like Haiti. It will be tough to justify a rebuild of a vacation home if the rest of the island is not rebuilt. I'd bet most people will sit on the land, do nothing.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

10,935 posts, read 21,593,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1mm donations are a joke for BILLION dollar cruise companies that exploit these poor nations. The locals taking donations......likely it will end up in a few peoples pockets.

Long term redevelopment needs to happen, if the money doesn't pour back into the area it will end up just like Haiti. It will be tough to justify a rebuild of a vacation home if the rest of the island is not rebuilt. I'd bet most people will sit on the land, do nothing.
Agree with everything you said. These fund raising efforts go bad pretty quick with locals left holding the bag.

It's way too soon for me to decide where I'd donate to. I also want to look up the organization the cruise line donated to because I'm not familiar with them.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

7,446 posts, read 4,286,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's way too soon for me to decide where I'd donate to.
Charity Navigator has posted a list of reputable charities worth considering: Hurricane Dorian: Highly Rated Charities Providing Aid and Relief.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

7,984 posts, read 4,521,610 times
I saw footage of people literally floating in the flood waters, being carried away by the current, and I am confused. Were residents of the islands not given the opportunity to evacuate beforehand? If so, did they not avail themselves of it? Were there no shelters available or none at a high enough elevation? What exactly was the plan here? Obviously they've had hurricanes before, and this one was predicted very far in advance; enough so to either leave or secure a safe refuge from it. So what and where was the failure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events