U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

5,532 posts, read 2,233,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I hope Disney and Royal Caribbean will donate wisely. All I see to a non profit but they don't list who. Many times they'll donate to places like Red Cross who only use some of the money in the area then they move on.

The Walt Disney Company to Donate More Than $1 Million to Relief and Recovery Efforts in The Bahamas

Royal Caribbean to donate $1 million to Bahamas relief efforts

Hopefully some of the local places accepting donations like that fire company will not be over whelmed by the money they take in.

I gave you their email as a rep, forgot to sign it. Email to ask for their address. I'm not finding it on google.
Like when the Red Cross collected a half a billion dollars to provide housing to more than 130,000 people after the earthquake in Haiti. They rebuilt exactly six homes, and then they moved on. The Red Cross is the biggest scam organization there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I saw footage of people literally floating in the flood waters, being carried away by the current, and I am confused. Were residents of the islands not given the opportunity to evacuate beforehand? If so, did they not avail themselves of it? Were there no shelters available or none at a high enough elevation? What exactly was the plan here? Obviously they've had hurricanes before, and this one was predicted very far in advance; enough so to either leave or secure a safe refuge from it. So what and where was the failure?
I don't know, but where are they going to evacuate to?

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

5,070 posts, read 3,488,805 times
Small country with limited resources. Technically it is an independent Commonwealth Realm within the UK. Looks like the US will intervene to render assistance. And other countries. What surprised me was there was a large Haitian refugee camp there that appears to have been completely destroyed. Humanitarian crisis requiring global aid and assistance.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

7,454 posts, read 4,286,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Small country with limited resources.
And equally important, limited higher ground. Many of the islands are low-lying. People got up as high as they could, but it just wasn't high enough.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

7,985 posts, read 4,521,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And equally important, limited higher ground. Many of the islands are low-lying. People got up as high as they could, but it just wasn't high enough.
In which case there should've been mass evacuations. It's not like it was a fast-moving storm allowing no time to prepare? Build shelters on piers. And if it's a UK territory, that's on them.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Quote:
In which case there should've been mass evacuations. It's not like it was a fast-moving storm allowing no time to prepare? Build shelters on piers. And if it's a UK territory, that's on them.
Mass evacuations to where? There is no place for them to evacuate to.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

7,454 posts, read 4,286,893 times
Quote:
Mass evacuations to where, exactly? The Bahamas are an independent country (they became independent from the UK in 1973). No other country is going to be required to let the residents of the Bahamas in.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM

10,872 posts, read 4,409,442 times
Quote:
This is pretty much a "let them eat cake" statement.

Evacuations of people with money is easy. You just tell them to leave, and they get themselves to an airport and leave. Or they team up with their friend who has the yacht and leave.

Shelters on piers would have caused them all to drown.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

7,985 posts, read 4,521,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is pretty much a "let them eat cake" statement.

Evacuations of people with money is easy. You just tell them to leave, and they get themselves to an airport and leave. Or they team up with their friend who has the yacht and leave.

Shelters on piers would have caused them all to drown.
Well, that was my question; did the powers that be (whomever they are) arrange any means for regular people to escape or survive this?

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

32,622 posts, read 60,381,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sorry, not raising red-flags on my concern-meter..........the people of that area are probably very used to, and prepared for, occasional weather-insanity.
How do you get "very used to" the equivalent of a tornado sitting on top of you for 48 hours and the sea rising over your head far inland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
People are really stepping up to help.
Good to know. I looked into this non-profit:

https://disasterphilanthropy.org/eve...g-the-bahamas/

Quote:
I saw footage of people literally floating in the flood waters, being carried away by the current, and I am confused. Were residents of the islands not given the opportunity to evacuate beforehand?
Where do you suppose they're going to go? And how do you propose they get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events