U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM

10,581 posts, read 12,518,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I saw footage of people literally floating in the flood waters, being carried away by the current, and I am confused. Were residents of the islands not given the opportunity to evacuate beforehand? If so, did they not avail themselves of it? Were there no shelters available or none at a high enough elevation? What exactly was the plan here? Obviously they've had hurricanes before, and this one was predicted very far in advance; enough so to either leave or secure a safe refuge from it. So what and where was the failure?

Very poor area so not a lot of options like flying to somewhere else, some of the shelters actually failed (blew apart/flooded) then they have never had a storm this bad, that stayed stationary that long.

There probably weren't 20 buildings on that whole island that would be safe to use as a shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 PM
KCZ

1,772 posts, read 1,024,793 times
A 23 ft storm surge will destroy most buildings on a relatively flat island. Not to mention 30" of rain in 2 days.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 PM

7,636 posts, read 2,314,831 times
I am seeing multiple, multiple local organizations collecting goods to send to The Bahamas.

Where are they sending them?
Who are they sending them to?
Who will be distributing them?

I ask because the islands are underwater, the people are nowhere to be found. The population total of both Grand Bahama and Abaco was about 400,000. Its' very small. I'm sure 'relief missions' are ongoing in every county in every state across the United States.

Where is all that stuff going to end up???

Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 PM

458 posts, read 1,041,373 times
I always feel really bad for the people in Cuba. They get a lot of really bad storms and they have to just take it, there is no place for them to run to. They just suffer. They just watch storm after storm nail them and they seem to not be bitter

Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 PM

10,879 posts, read 4,409,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I am seeing multiple, multiple local organizations collecting goods to send to The Bahamas.

Where are they sending them?
Who are they sending them to?
Who will be distributing them?

I ask because the islands are underwater, the people are nowhere to be found. The population total of both Grand Bahama and Abaco was about 400,000. Its' very small. I'm sure 'relief missions' are ongoing in every county in every state across the United States.

Where is all that stuff going to end up???
In my experience, BEST case is that this stuff will find its way to local food pantries/used clothing charities and the cash will go who knows where.

WORST case the cash will be syphoned off, and the goods that they can't use will be tossed in dumpsters.

I don't know what percentage of the items (besides cash, to reputable charities that will serve the area) that well-meaning people donate to help the effort in the Bahamas will make it there, into the hands of those who are homeless and hungry. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 0% is my guess.

As we saw with Puerto Rico and New Orleans, even the items that make it to their destination, often are kept in some warehouse - or even open lot - until they are unusable and become garbage that will require work to haul off.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-04-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,220,399 times
UK and US ships on the scene right now in Marsh Harbour delivering food, water, medical, and must-have items. US teams are still searching for bodies in the debris in Marsh Harbour mainly in the Haitian community of the Mudd. Most of the outer cays, Elbow, MOW, Guana, Green Turtle have cleared space for helicopters to land. Not many if any docks left to land supplies and harbor entrances have either changed and/or filled with debris and sunken boats. All inter-island ferries sank during the storm. Every boat in Man-O-War harbor sank or was thrown onto land. Every single house on MOW and Elbow that wasn't completely destroyed had significant damage. The road to the south end of Elbow appears to have been washed away just north of the Abaco Inn which itself was almost completely destroyed. The harbor side cottages are gone but the new condos on the point appear to be mostly OK and the old main building still has standing walls and a roof structure. Side note: I rode out Andrew at the Abaco Inn on my honeymoon.

Hopetown Fire and Rescue had a sat phone dropped yesterday and are in contact with their US counterpart. The ocean came over the dune again (happened 20 years ago with Floyd) at Sea Spray Marina and all buildings and docks are gone, just a few pilings sticking out of the water. Fuel is available at Lighthouse Marine for boats who are able to successfully thread the debris and the somewhat filled in harbor entrance. The concrete main Hopetown dock and the concrete dock at the Lodge are usable.

I have not heard any reports from Tilloo. Lubbers south end is described as apocalyptic by one resident who rode out the storm there. Don't know condition of Cracker P's. Nippers on Guana was mostly destroyed with some parts of the ocean dune collapsed under the deck.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM

8,318 posts, read 5,453,306 times
When will Rock benefit concert happen??

Is the Clinton Foundation going to get involved?? LOL

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

9,072 posts, read 7,876,534 times
I have enjoyed watching HGTV show "island life". I guess the whole idea of living one of these island will have less appeal, until people forget again.

Places like the Bahamas should be a less to all of us, prepare for bad times. Avoid places that have a high probability of natural disasters.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

5,235 posts, read 2,412,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Horrible. I want to donate items-not money to help them out. Waiting to find out whats needed so I can shop
I read something about a guy who bought generators. which is something I would have never thought of but will be greatly needed (plus fuel, obviously). The thing though is that those relief & aide organizations always discourage 'things'. They want money.

What would be cool is if there was a way to 'adopt a household' where that money & those things could go directly from your hands to the actual people who need it & bypass the bureaucracy.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

10,780 posts, read 5,074,716 times
This is one wonderful person. He/She purchased & donated 100 generators and wishes to remain anonymous.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...BBnb4R7#page=2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events