Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Very little information, and a few early videos. Apparently Dorian will pound the bahamas for the next day or so at a category 5. Headed for Freeport.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...6?icid=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Very little information, and a few early videos. Apparently Dorian will pound the bahamas for the next day or so at a category 5. Headed for Freeport.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...6?icid=related
I feel for them too, but it sort of goes with the territory. It's major downside of living in paradise.
Just hoping for a zero death toll, but that may be wishful thinking.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I feel for them too, but it sort of goes with the territory. It's major downside of living in paradise.
Um hm. But I think that's VERY wishful thinking. Some of those little islands are so small that the entire island is apparently flooding - and there's no where to go. Unlike larger land pieces, you can go inland.

I think this will be a game changer for them. They will be bisected in time - before and after Dorian.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Um hm. But I think that's VERY wishful thinking. Some of those little islands are so small that the entire island is apparently flooding - and there's no where to go. Unlike larger land pieces, you can go inland.

I think this will be a game changer for them. They will be bisected in time - before and after Dorian.
You're probably right. It's usually the storm surge that takes the most lives, if I recall correctly.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't feel much sympathy. Don't they know what happens there?

We all make our choices .

Old 09-01-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Yes I know, but it's still sad to see it happening.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

I believe most of the Bahamas are populated by native people, who didn't "choose" to live there. They were born there, into this paradise, and they aren't typically wealthy. This is their home.

And they've never in the history of time weathered a storm like this. In the history of time. So in the past, this has been a good safe bet for a place to live out a glorious, if somewhat impoverished, life.

Your response is incredibly cold, scrat, and my guess is it stems from a belief that if you just believe you are wiser than people who have terrible tragedies befall them, you won't have any bad luck yourself.

:-(

Old 09-01-2019, 06:54 PM

15,838 posts, read 6,543,563 times
They're predicting up to 4 feet of rain to go with the 175 mph winds. Ouch. At least they're used to hurricanes there; they should have shelters available. Hopefully they make it okay.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
They're predicting up to 4 feet of rain to go with the 175 mph winds. Ouch. At least they're used to hurricanes there; they should have shelters available. Hopefully they make it okay.
Well, it's not the same thing as if you're in Florida, or New Orleans, where you can go inland for shelter.

Here's a map. The Island titled "The Bahamas" is sort of big - but that whole smattering of thin stringy islands include Nassau (and Paradise Island) and the Island that contains Freeport, a huge tourist destination but also home to a LOT of people. There's no where to go in a flood. The idea of taking shelter is a different thing if you live on a large land mass like the US, where there's somewhere to GO to avoid the hurricane.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...28!4d-77.39628

Old 09-01-2019, 07:46 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
My parents own an air b&b in Puerto Rico and are nervous about the damages the storm will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events