Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't think anyone is saying "don't help them," but I personally wouldn't want my donation getting into the hands of looters. How about restoring (or imposing) some law and order before millions of dollars pour into the country?
From what I've seen, for the hardest hit areas, the best idea is to simply evacuate them. Restoring order and rebuilding may happen eventually, but these places are uninhabitable at this time.

And apparently a cruise ship has removed nearly 1500 evacuees to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Marsh Harbour Airport Tuesday AM That lake is the runway. Marsh airport opened Thursday. Treasure Cay and Sandy Point were open several days earlier.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:56 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Same thought here!

With the storm expected to be a threat to the Bahamas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, etc., there should have been international cooperation to ensure that all people in areas below sea level are evacuated!

No exceptions!

Like Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, and other areas, there are many impoverished people that reside away from the ritzy hotels and idyllic beaches.

For the most part, these are descendants of former slaves who are marginalized, relatively un-educated and subsist on very little money.

Note, in many inner cities in the United States, it is the same dynamic to a certain extent. Yes, there has been tremendous progress made in some sectors but more progress is needed.

A lot of people appear to be callous and to not really care about these individuals.

As the impact of climate change is expected to increase, there will be opportunities again to unconditionally assist people who will be in need.
I agree that there should have been an evacuation effort for GBI. I just think the idea of building shelters is akin to Congressman Smith asking why the people on the Titanic didn't go into the watertight compartments. The shelters would have been flooded/blown away like all the other structures on the island.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,668,494 times
well I gotta wonder..will the devastated islands be rebuilt to hurricane standards or more shanty towns?..

Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I noticed that, too.

Yes, Bahamians are mostly black, the descendants of slaves.

However, when I went to Grand Bahama Island 15 years ago, I remember that the population was pretty sparse and that you could see huge swaths of undeveloped land from the air but with long roads running through. I asked someone at the hotel about it, and he said that it was always a very quiet island compared to New Providence/Nassau and Paradise Island, but that a lot of people from the USA were buying land there and starting to build vacation homes, so those roads I saw were fairly new.

Fifteen years later, it seems a lot of those American land-buyers have indeed built and moved there.
Well, at least I'm not totally confused. I'm assuming these people I'm seeing interviewed were not the ones another poster saw 'floating in the water'. I'm not sure why this is bothering me but it is; maybe because it's showing a misrepresentation of those most affected?

Old 09-07-2019, 12:01 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
well I gotta wonder..will the devastated islands be rebuilt to hurricane standards or more shanty towns?..
Definitely will be rebuilt, this is the good thing about being in the paradise is that people often return to reclaim and rebuild.

It will look even more beautiful than ever after 10 yrs from now. Assuming no more Cat 5 direct hit in the next 10-20 yrs.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:21 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree that there should have been an evacuation effort for GBI. I just think the idea of building shelters is akin to Congressman Smith asking why the people on the Titanic didn't go into the watertight compartments. The shelters would have been flooded/blown away like all the other structures on the island.
I keep reading these comments, there should have been an evacuation. I'm still confused. Evacuate to where?

Old 09-07-2019, 01:13 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I keep reading these comments, there should have been an evacuation. I'm still confused. Evacuate to where?
Florida ! Why not? We have about 200,000 Puerto Ricans here from the island after Maria & Irma.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Florida ! Why not? We have about 200,000 Puerto Ricans here from the island after Maria & Irma.
How could tens of thousands of people be evacuated to Florida in a couple of days before the storm hit? That would be logistically impossible. I have never heard of any major island being evacuated for a hurricane. Even Hawaii does not evacuate for hurricanes. Second, Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Bahamians are not. With the current political climate I doubt there is any political will to accept Bahamian evacuees to the US.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:31 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I am thinking Florida, since that's the closest place; however, no one knew at that time that the storm would skirt around the edge of Florida, so that might not have been feasible.

Other than that, south of GBI to another part of the Bahamas missed by the storm?

I really don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events