U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:11 AM

33,070 posts, read 16,919,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What is that telling me, and what does it have to do with the boat that burned? Yes, we know the boat had emergency exits. So why didn't the crew evacuate the passengers that way?
You may want to check your password, because someone posted this under your name and insisted on not having seen any evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz
At least a dormitory like that first video, has to have multiple exits. Apparently that is not the case for charter boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:22 AM

21,371 posts, read 17,010,739 times
Quote:
What the heck? So let me get this straight. 39 people were jammed on one small 75 foot boat. When the fire broke out the crew immediately abandoned ship and left the passengers trapped and possibly locked below deck.

Somebody is going to get charged big time for this. I guess I now know how to make money fast. Buy a little boat. Pack it with as many bunk beds as will fit, and start charging top dollar for scuba tours. Then just rake in the millions.
I don’t know that they were overloaded. I haven’t heard that. The family of five of the people who died, said that her and the family would take that trip every single year on that boat. She didn’t say anything about that sounding like more people than normal. She didn’t sound angry about the people running the dive trip. I think it was just a tragic accident. I don’t think the crew abandon them. From what I’ve heard everything below the top deck was too engulfed in flames for them to go back down and try to do anything. I haven’t heard anything about them being locked in there either, where did you see that?The crew escape because they were sleeping on the top deck. I haven’t heard anything about them suspecting the law was broken in anyway here.

That may change of course as we learn more about it, but as of now it does not sound like a criminal investigation.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There does appear to be an interesting and important issue here.

Should there be an escape hatch to the open sea from any berthing area?

It appears clear that there were two escape routes from the berthing area. Both however lead to the salon which apparently included the galley. And once the galley was caught on fire the entire salon soon followed.

So should there have been an emergency exit to the sea or at least clear of the boat?

None of these people would have been in trouble for being in the ocean 20 yards off shore. In fact if there were a person or two in trouble there were likely a half dozen folks who could tow two or three people in.

So maybe the problem is what is required...not what happened.
That then makes the boat more susceptible to leaks. More people die from boats flooding and sinking then they do burning. How would you open it and get out without all the water just rushing in and filling the boat and drowning everyone? Sounds like they just be trading one death for another.

Old Today, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So basically the passengers were stuck down in the cargo hold, with no way to escape.
They were apparently two places to get out. One they believe was blocked by fire as it was next to the valley where they think it started. I have heard that they believe the other may have been blocked as well, but I donít know any details about that or whether it was passengers or crew who had things blocking it. If it was.

Old Today, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It reminds me of when the Italian Coast Guard ordered Captain Francesco Schettino to get back on his ship. At least these guys didn't refuse. I hope every one of these crew members is charged with manslaughter.
Thereís no indication they did anything wrong whatsoever. This is nothing like that captain. They may have been able to see immediately that there was no way to get to those people.

Old Today, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. If regulations could guarantee no fires the regulations would be much simpler. But these boats use diesel engines with large quantities of fuel. And propane stoves/grills with tanks of propane. And even small cruisers have alcohol stoves which will burn very well. Our boat was well equipped with heavy duty fire extinguishers. Never had even the hint of one...but we were prepared if ever.

And you do not open to the sea. You open to the air a couple of feet above the sea.

Any boat with port holes will take water on occasion. Someone screws up. But in general the plumbing in a boat can get rid of a whole lot of water. Boat systems are designed to handle leaks of some reasonable size.

And we now see the cost of not having ports to the outside. 34 dead. And this was a set that would likely have all survived in the open sea.

I have been in situations where the sea broke over ports. Aside from minor leakage it was no problem.
These people were on the third floor bottom deck how are they going to have a port that opens above sea level? How was it any different than the escape hatch they already had that leads up to the second level and then the top level?

Old Today, 11:35 AM

5,978 posts, read 6,828,383 times
Quote:
What is that telling me, and what does it have to do with the boat that burned? Yes, we know the boat had emergency exits. So why didn't the crew evacuate the passengers that way?

Look at that picture. Tight quarters full of flammable materials. Throw in all the folks' gear and 30 some bodies and it was likely a crowded nightmare--especially in the pitch black and smoke of a fire.

Crew may have tried to reach the clients, but you can see in that photo why it might have been difficult. Likely most customers died of smoke inhalation before they could even begin to react by exiting through tiny escape hatches.

Sad all around. Maybe folks should not have been in that situation to begin with, but for whatever reason, people chose to take the trip.

Curious to know how the fire started, why it spread so quickly, and why no-one got out of below decks. Won't change that they are all dead, but will satisfy my curiosity over how such a tragedy can occur in a "modern' vessel.

Old Today, 11:35 AM

5,520 posts, read 2,229,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You may want to check your password, because someone posted this under your name and insisted on not having seen any evidence to the contrary.
A dormitory usually has exits at opposite sides of the building. It's pretty hard for both exits to be blocked at the same time. But even if they are, there must be other means of egress, such as through windows. A dormitory with 30 some people jammed into one room, no windows and only two exits in the same general area would never pass a fire inspection.

Old Today, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Iím waiting for charges for some or all of the crew and possibly the owner. Six out of seven managed to dive overboard while everyone else was trapped below deck. Thereís got to be some sort of negligence.
Why does that have to be negligence? The crew slept on the top deck, because thatís where they sleep. The passengers were in the sleeping quarters on the below deck. Isnít that enough to tell you how the crew escape than the rest of them did not?

Old Today, 11:37 AM

7,285 posts, read 1,588,195 times
I wonder if this will affect the sailing industry in general. We went on a Mainejammer cruise three years ago, and I am fairly sure that it only had one exist from the bottom to the top. (I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so.) We had a wonderful time and didn't even consider any safety issues except the possibility of a hurricane when we booked the trip.

I bet plenty of people will ask more questions before they book ANY kind of cruise as a result of this horrible tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or